Thread: Combining Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have decided to combine two locs that are on my hair line. I simply two strand twisted the two locs together and secured it with a black rubber band. Luckily it is near my ear, so I usually just tuck the loc behind my ear and the rest of my hair covers it. When combining locs do you guys use a rubber band or cover it creatively with shells and beads or what? :unsure:

Also will the two just merge into one eventually or will I have to let them grow together and cut one of them? TIA
    Locs @ 2 years +

Loc Album

pw= lioness

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to combine the locks to make one larger loc then the double strand twisting and securing with a rubber band or sewing is probably the best way to go. For me I was only concerned about making a bigger root bed so I just looped one lock into the new growth of another and just finger twisted the roots together. After the new lock was firmly established I cut one of the tails off so that it looks like one lock instead of a fork. This is how I saved my hairline. At one point I had about 7 joined locks but now I only have one that has not had it's other tail cut.
    Natural since November 2001}i{1st set of locs 11-20-02 to 5-2-09 }i{ BAA 5-2-09 to 1-26-10
    2nd set of locs 1-26-10 to 9-5-14 }i{ BAA 9-5-14 to 10-31-15
    LOCS AGAIN!!!!!
    INSTAGRAM }i{ My OLD Loc and Makeup Tutorials }i{
    NEW Channel coming soon! }i{ My Blog }i{ Twitter }i{

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will likely merge -- eventually.

How solid are your locs? If they are still loose, you might try interweaving them -- insert one into the center of the other wrap around and insert the other way until you get to the ends. You won't have to use a rubberband but you can put one on the ends or use a loc cuff.

Llyons Guest

When I combine my locs I will latch the roots together, then twist the two locs. Because my hair hasn't fully loc'd, I will latch the ends also.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My preferred method:
    I wait until I get about 1-1/2 of new growth then I latch the two locs together at the root. Then I cut the very tip off one of the heads & unravel it. Then I braid the unraveled part around the remaining loc head.

My #2 method:
    I wait until I get about 1-1/2 of new growth then I latch the two locs together at the root. Then I leave either leave the two loc heads as they are or just twist them together.
    napptural since: February 1993 Locing since: November 2002

My Loc Pics

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG thank you ladies SO much for this! I have two stranded my hairline for freeforming purposes and it is just NOT working. I will read over this again and decide which method I want to go with. All excellent ideas!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the info. today is being spent combining locs. i realized that to have them as small as they were was too much upkeep for me. so, i'm combing the ends down and double stranding. they actually look good...i was worried that i was going to make a mess of things. at any rate, thanks for the idea.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. I had to combine some around my temples.

*Sirius