Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me start off by saying I am very displeased with working in the healthcare field. I feel as if I am entering Sodom and gomorrah every day. My personal vent stems from the excess amount of patients personal info being used as entertainment. :icon_headshake:
    I am not a goody goody person but when it comes to my job and such information, I follow all laws and regulations (ever heard of HIPPA) and keep my mouth shut.

Example: I used to work at a women's clinic and god forbid that a woman would come in with a stanky noot noot, STD, hairy butt, or whatever. A MA, RN, or MD would be the first to come find everyone and say, "Come look at dis ish!" :doh
    :)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with you CatSuga, it is a shame. I am very professional and it irks the hell outta me to hear some of the ish that goes on. I am a firm believer in treating others the way you want to be treated. I too follow the HIPPA guidelines and try to make my patients feel as comfortable as possible.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

This is a shame. They know they&#39;re supposed to follow and enforce HIPPA. Then they wanna start acting like drill sergeants when JCAHO comes around. <_<

<_< welekevu
    My intellectual capacity can far supercede
    even the greatest heights of your wildest dreams.
    I am who I am &#39;cause of what I believe.
    I now understand who I&#39;m destined to be:
    Sistah Souldier and Queen- inherently.
    Never question, deny the spirit in me.
    Now and always, forever: REVOLUTIONARY!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you. With HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996), everyone MUST be compliant by April 2005 or fines will be levied. The piece being emphasized here is HIPAA Title II as it relates to medical information security and confidentiality. Patient medical information should be protected by all means required by law. It is a shame to hear that MAs, RNs and MDs are sharing this information w/ the staff in the medical center especially if that patient is not on their panel.

Hopefully they will get it together before they are shut down.

Originally posted by CatSuga@Jan 31 2005, 06:45 AM
    Let me start off by saying I am very displeased with working in the healthcare field. I feel as if I am entering Sodom and gomorrah every day. My personal vent stems from the excess amount of patients personal info being used as entertainment. :icon_headshake:
    I am not a goody goody person but when it comes to my job and such information, I follow all laws and regulations (ever heard of HIPPA) and keep my mouth shut.

Example: I used to work at a women&#39;s clinic and god forbid that a woman would come in with a stanky noot noot, STD, hairy butt, or whatever. A MA, RN, or MD would be the first to come find everyone and say, "Come look at dis ish!" :doh
    [snapback]696506[/snapback]
    Though she be but little, she is FIERCE!

Fitness lifestyle blog: http://femmefitalefitclub.com
    Free online fitness accountability group: facebook.com/groups/femmefitale
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/femmefitalefitclub

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, HIPPA is more about industry access to patient records to me (health insurance companies, Pharma&#39;s, employers, etc...) than MD&#39;s, RN&#39;s, and other Health professionals. But I know from growing up in a small town, THAT kind of gossip (from a lawyer or MD, or anyone else that should abide by a confidentiality rule) get&#39;s around and can harm people.

HIPPA has been publicized as, "patient rights", but I wonder how many health professional will be accused and prosecuted for gossip, as opposed to how many people are denied extensive health coverage or even work hours past 40hrs a week because the info is disclosed to insurance companies and employers, even through coding?

Regardless and aside from the HIPPA issue....that&#39;s why I have to be absolutely comfortable with an MD and will go through great lengths to keep him/her. I REFUSE to see random MD&#39;s picked from a list my insurance company gives me. I&#39;ve even befriended the health professionals at the clinic i sometimes go to, when my doctor can&#39;t see me and my health insurance co. won&#39;t cover the procedure.

It&#39;s really sad that these days people have to piece-meal their health coverage. There are still ways to avoid HIPPA failures if you have problems with confidentiality. I use clinics, and they give me copies of my file without forwarding them to my MD unless I say so. And my primary Physician and I are pretty tight. If he betrays me in any way, it will be a shocker.....but it won&#39;t be scortched-earth.

"sigh"....everything in life is a hook-up these days.

- Sacral
    Sacral

I&#39;m an Orange Moon......Child of the Moon and Sun

I found God within myself, and I love Her. I love Her" - Ntozake Shange (variation of original quote)

"I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves." - Harriet Tubman

Om Namah Shivaya

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by sacral@Feb 5 2005, 07:51 PM
    but I wonder how many health professional will be accused and prosecuted for gossip, as opposed to how many people are denied extensive health coverage or even work hours past 40hrs a week because the info is disclosed to insurance companies and employers, even through coding? - Sacral
    [snapback]705194[/snapback]
    Lawd have mercy, I can relate.
    A patient who weighed over 1000lbs was admitted to the hospital and would you believe the MD&#39;s and RN&#39;s were on the phone calling everybody else in the hospital for a "second opinon", :icon_eek13: .
    That whole week they turned ICU into their own personal freak show.
    Sicking.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HIPAA is about anyone (industry or not) gaining illegal access to medical information without a need to know. Casually speaking about someone&#39;s medical condition in a public area to anyone, without the patient&#39;s consent is an infringement against their right to privacy and confidentiality. If caught, that healthcare professional would possibly be facing fines and have their license to practice suspended. It just depends the extent of their infringement.

These healthcare "professionals" going around the hospital floor speaking with other unauthorized healthcare professionals better get it out now b/c come April 2005 the organization they work for will be obligated to uphold patient rights under HIPAA. Before medical information can be handed off, the patient has to give consent, if they do not then could possibly be a lawsuit. And w/ the small profit margins of many hospitals, they can&#39;t afford a lawsuit.

Also, patient paper medical records will need to be in a proven secure place. Exposure on an open shelf is not good enough. Our organization implemented an electronic medical record and due to lab result interfaces and patient demographic interfaces, we have to use a VPN or some sort of encryption of the data so that hackers can&#39;t get hold of the sensitive information.

Also, front desk people will not be able to make that quick call to the pharmacy for Mrs. So and so who just called up for a refill if that desk is located near the waiting room where others can overhear - they will need to make provisions for that as well as that is a possible infringement against that patient&#39;s right to confidentiality. Oh this thing is BIG and the government ain&#39;t playing.

These individuals can keep talking but they will see themselves without a license and not able to practice medicine if they keep the unauthorized gabbing up. I am surprised the Chief Medical Officer or the Hospital Administrator is not cleaning this type of behavior up. If the word gets out, then that could mean lost patient stays b/c people are choosing to go to other healthcare orgs. who know the meaning of confidentiality.

This is big.

Originally posted by sacral@Feb 5 2005, 09:51 PM
    Unfortunately, HIPPA is more about industry access to patient records to me (health insurance companies, Pharma&#39;s, employers, etc...) than MD&#39;s, RN&#39;s, and other Health professionals. But I know from growing up in a small town, THAT kind of gossip (from a lawyer or MD, or anyone else that should abide by a confidentiality rule) get&#39;s around and can harm people.

HIPPA has been publicized as, "patient rights", but I wonder how many health professional will be accused and prosecuted for gossip, as opposed to how many people are denied extensive health coverage or even work hours past 40hrs a week because the info is disclosed to insurance companies and employers, even through coding?

Regardless and aside from the HIPPA issue....that&#39;s why I have to be absolutely comfortable with an MD and will go through great lengths to keep him/her. I REFUSE to see random MD&#39;s picked from a list my insurance company gives me. I&#39;ve even befriended the health professionals at the clinic i sometimes go to, when my doctor can&#39;t see me and my health insurance co. won&#39;t cover the procedure.

It&#39;s really sad that these days people have to piece-meal their health coverage. There are still ways to avoid HIPPA failures if you have problems with confidentiality. I use clinics, and they give me copies of my file without forwarding them to my MD unless I say so. And my primary Physician and I are pretty tight. If he betrays me in any way, it will be a shocker.....but it won&#39;t be scortched-earth.

"sigh"....everything in life is a hook-up these days.

- Sacral
    [snapback]705194[/snapback]

whome_notyou Guest

Ok so i want to become a RN. i just got out of the navy. Is the health care field a bad place to go? I don&#39;t want to go back into more drama because high school and the military was bad enough.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by whome_notyou@Feb 5 2005, 09:09 PM
    Ok so i want to become a RN. i just got out of the navy. Is the health care field a bad place to go? I don&#39;t want to go back into more drama because high school and the military was bad enough.
    [snapback]705283[/snapback]
    I figure I&#39;ll still be in health care, so I&#39;m not discouring it. But believe me, healthcare (but not all facilities) carries alot of drams/gossip. I&#39;m able to deal with.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I have a friend who is Medical Director of her ER and she may explain some situations to me but she never mentions names. She will just comment, "I had this case where this young lady had an 11-month old fetus, etc." and I do not think that is a violation.

Catsuga I hope you remain in the field bc the field is desperate for quality healthcare providers who know what they are doing! Also, the HIPAA officer in your organization should probably think about conducting some seminars for the healthcare professionals in your organization to stress what will and will not be tolerated with the new mandate. Maybe the people need a reminder, so when they attend the seminar, they sign in, it goes in their H.R. file that they were trained and attended so if they violate HIPAA security, they are let go.

Maybe everyone needs a reminder.

Originally posted by CatSuga@Feb 5 2005, 11:30 PM
    I figure I&#39;ll still be in health care, so I&#39;m not discouring it. But believe me, healthcare (but not all facilities) carries alot of drams/gossip. I&#39;m able to deal with.
    [snapback]705293[/snapback]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast