User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    tran68 Guest

Did you pay for college yourself, through scholarships/grants/loans or did your parents pay?

Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill? When did you find out? Did/do you hold that against them?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I went to VA State University, My parents paid for some of it. Loans, paid for the rest.

I didn't do well in school at all. I went buck wild. I was not thinking about no school work.

Now that I have gotten serious my education, I pay for it myself. I don't quality for financial aid so I just pay for it out of pocket. It is a hurting thing, but it will benefit me in the long run.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I foot the bill with help from my mother. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

P
    Starting Loc journey again. . . and boy is it fun!

[img]http://www.roshini.net/images/avatars/3dflagsdotcom_guyan_2faws.gif[/img]

4real is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In undergrad I had an athletic, academic, diversity, and religious scholarship but because I went to a private school I still ended up with $14,000 in loans which my parents as a graduation present are paying for.
    In grad school I have a tuition and fee waiver. But I have a loan to pay for books and rent. My parents are helping me now but in a sense they are because when I graduate from school I will only have these newly acquired loans to worry about.

There are so many scholarships out there go to your local library and check it out if you need more funds.
    Last chemical fire cream April 2002
    100% natural December 2002
    Locs started Decemeber 2004
    Loose and free April 2006

In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed;
    Deliever me in Your righteousness.
    Bow down Your ear to me,
    Deliver me speedily;
    Be my rock of refuge,
    A fortress of defense to save me.
    For You are my rock and my fortress;
    Therefore, for your name's sake,
    Lead me and guide me.
    Psalm 31:1-3

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you pay for college yourself, through scholarships/grants/loans or did your parents pay?

I paid for myself, mostly...my parents paid down about $1500 my freshman year, and my grandparents about $1000 my junior year. I got two relatively small Stafford loans, a bunch of small scholarships here and there, but I paid the majority via overtime pay in the summers and school breaks and hustling during the semesters. I didn't get any grants at all, and the only Federal aid I got was the Staffords.

Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill? When did you find out? Did/do you hold that against them?

Yes, because they kept promising that they would. I knew that their financial situation wasn't the best, and was actually trying to find other ways to pay for my education, but they kept saying no, we'll get it, we'll take care of it, to the point where they wouldn't even give me their tax information so I could complete the FAFSA form. I had to sic my grandmother and great-aunt on them to make them give the info up.
    I found out that they couldn't the week I started school.
    At first, I was very, very bitter about the whole thing. Everyone around me was partying and I was working thirty hours a week AND trying to pass my freshman year of school AND trying to have some sort of life too. My parents have never been good at financial stewardship and I knew that from a very young age. So while on the one hand, I was angry at them for reneging on their promise, on the other hand, I was also very pissed at myself for even agreeing to accept hypothetical funds from them. It took a while for me to get over those feelings, but eventually I did, because the whole thing(my feelings) was rooted in unwarranted selfishness and pride anyway.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loans, school grants, state grants, pell grant, you name it grant. And I'm still paying for it - i.e. loans. Fifteen years past 1st degree and nine years past second. Oh well, no regrets.

Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill?

No. My father put himself through college by way of scholarships, grants and working part time and summers. My mom used employee tuition benefits. I guess I always knew I was expected to do the same.

Did/do you hold that against them?

No. I guess it would have been nice if I didn't feel pressured to go straight from high school to college because I wasn't at a level of maturity where I was able to get the maximum benefit from it. It would have been nice if I could have waited till I was older and maybe worked all the way through instead of taking out loans .... But as I say - no regrets. Overall I'm glad for my education.

roxygirl is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a scholarship that covered a very small amount, but I was very, very lucky that my parents paid my tuition for all four years of my school.
    My fotki
    Updates: 07/26/09

Click here to feed abandoned animals. It's free and you can click everyday.

Brown Rose Guest

I have been on my own since I was nineteen, thus I used the GI Bill from the military, loans, both subsidized and private, as well as credit cards to pay my way, and that does not include working two jobs for most of my working life, while skirting the poverty line.

Since I plan on entering a professional program sometime next year, I intend to keep going that route, but I plan on researching for grants and scholarships, even though pickings are slim when you go the Graduate school route.

Let me add that I do not advocate this route for serious students. Make sure that you ahve a strong GPA, good test scores, and stellar recommendations in order to access grant, scholarship, and work-study opportunities. If you can find creative ways to support yourself without familial help-do it.

I envy those who had supportive family members and monetary aid. Treasure what you have and be thankful.

The added strain of financing your education, supporting your self both body and soul, and trying to construct and create a viable future without any outside support is stressful, dauting, and at times soul crushing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents paid for undergrad after my first year which was covered through scholarships. I did grad school with loans and working.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I went to Colgate, I had my undergrad paid for mostly from grants from the college and the federal government. I had like one loan for a very small amount of money. Even now most of my school is paid for through grants. I guess there's one good thing to being poor :lol:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast