User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    holla_at_me Guest

normal health food stores? I'm mean the pure kind?

naturalihapi Guest

Most of the shea butter I've seen in health food stores is refined. Although it may say 100% shea butter on the label, shea butter is not mango or baby powder scented and it doesn't look like vaseline! I've asked for it a lot and most stores don't really know what pure shea butter looks like.

I have seen unrefined shea butter Whole foods. It's in the section where they have lock and twist products (I guess its their mini ethnic section). I opened it and it is unrefined. But at $13.99 in maybe a 6-8 ounce size, I don't think its worth it. You are probably better off going online to www.nasabb.com, or some other online company and buying a pound of it for less than they sell in the health food stores.

If you live in an area where you have little African stores that sell incense, soaps, and the like, you can probably find it there. Expect to pay about $10 for a 6-8 ounce size. In my opinion, you are better off ordering a pound of shea butter from Nasabb (my personal choice) $8.95. It lasts a lot longer than the smaller jars and it's definitely worth it!!

Also check out this forum for other info on vendors to buy shea butter:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/in...howtopic=33589

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. You can get pure and unrefined jarred by this company http://www.prettynatural-inc.com at Whole Foods and other independent health food stores. I think they are AA owned. They also have other products such as sheajoba and twist and lock butter but I have not tried them. The shea butter is kind of expensive as compared to buying it in bulk lumps - $15.99 for a 4 oz. jar. I bought it once because I needed it right away rather than having to order and wait. This stuff is the real mccoy - smells of African village wood fire - and it's very good quality.

naturalihapi Guest

Originally posted by Lokii@Feb 15 2005, 10:51 PM
    Yes. You can get pure and unrefined jarred by this company http://www.prettynatural-inc.com at Whole Foods and other independent health food stores. I think they are AA owned. They also have other products such as sheajoba and twist and lock butter but I have not tried them. The shea butter is kind of expensive as compared to buying it in bulk lumps - $15.99 for a 4 oz. jar. I bought it once because I needed it right away rather than having to order and wait. This stuff is the real mccoy - smells of African village wood fire - and it's very good quality.
    [snapback]719905[/snapback]
    That's the shea butter I saw too!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some raw shea butter that I am trying to get rid of. PM if you are interested. I had put it up on the swap/sale board but no one was interested.