Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've talked about them wanting white women, being intimidated by upwardly mobile sisters, abandoning children and everything else negative under the sun, Isn't it time we aknowledge those wonderful men (imperfect as they are) we call our brothas?

I'm so sick of us pointing our fingers at black men as a group because as a race and as individuals we have issues. I'm so sick of us buying into the image that is fed to us by the media. When are we gonna stand up for our men and sing the praises of the good ones as loudly (or louder) as we criticize the not-so-good ones?

I know it feels like we do support them and they don't support us back, but why are we making those guys our focus?

The men in my family are some of the best fathers I've seen. My own Dad, though he had some serious obstacles to overcome, is an unbelievable man with a commitment to his family that any one would kill for. My brothers are extremely involved fathers (married to the mothers), don't cheat and are good human beings overall. In fact the only man in my family (and I have a big one) not active in his child's life is my ex. He has his own demons to beat and I will never disrespect him, only pray that he gets it together and resumes his life with our child.

I know some men who had/have a lot of growing to do, to say the least, but don't we all? I know some that are downright dogs but I'd rather devote my attention to those that aren't. Besides sometimes I think we as women help to create those monsters but that's another topic.

Let's hear about the men in your lives that defy the stereotypes! (which I believe to be the minority)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

peace...i support this post.

i will add
    my grandfather
    who died before i was born
    is being honored in Thysville this year for his contribution to the education of the people there.
    he's from haiti. during the Papa Doc regime teachers and the like were being persecuted, kidnapped and killed in the streets.
    his family and many like his moved to various places in afrika.
    kinshasa was in need of teachers
    since the belgians (who were running the schools) fled after independence.
    he opened up a school in Mbanza Ngungu
    he was the head master aka principal.
    if i can find the website has info on the celebration, i'll post it later.
    i don't know exactly how much he affected the people there (obviously alot since he is being honored but i do know he inspired my own father to work with children
    (he was a social worker) then eventually become an educator
    (he has been a teacher for 20 years in brooklyn)
    and his daughter, my aunt is also a teacher in brooklyn. she teaches elementary.
    his other daughter, a chemist is on the board of education here where i live.
    my sister has also followed in his footsteps. she is a teacher in the southbronx. she teaches 2nd grade.

also some of my mother's brothers and sisters attended my grandfather's school in mbanza ngungu.
    he touched a lot of people and set an example for his family
    who have made it their lifes work to educate and help others.

PEACE
    [color=black]MBANZA NGUNGU aka THYSVILLE: REPATRIATION SOON COME[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a great topic!!!!! :smil3f72836ee752e: I know some great black men, but I'm not going to come on here and boast about how good my baby is (and he is):icon_heartpump:. I think it's great to do it publicly and share our stories, but more important to tell the good men you know that you see them and who they are and what they're about. I know I tell mine all the time; he knows I know his value and I make sure he knows it too. I always tell him I'm his biggest supporter and #1 fan. I hope this is one of the topics that really blows up. I look forward to reading some positive posts.

growunatty-That is a beautiful story; I know you must be very proud of your family. My paternal grandfather was the most humble, easy going, responsible, loving, and Christ-like man I've ever known. Every encounter with him left you better off than you were before. He got along with everyone, and was probably loved by most people he met. I know he's in heaven now. I can't leave this thread w/o mentioning him. He exemplified what is is to be a great man everyday that he was on this earth, so I can't list any specific examples that shine above the rest. I only wish his sons were more like him, but this is a positive thread so enough said.
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ai, it started so well. Sure we all have issues but that's not the point right? I like the idea so I hope to continue to read more positive stories. Here is mine.
    A school in Suriname (where I am from) was named after my grandfather who was one of the 1st black men who studied abroad. I have a dad who is the best father one can wish for.

morena23 Guest

Originally posted by masoesa@Feb 16 2005, 07:02 PM
    A school in Suriname (where I am from) was named after my grandfather who was one of the 1st black men who studied abroad.
    [snapback]721351[/snapback]
    Whoa!!! That's cool!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father is amazing. He started his own business at age 24 and put all four of his children through college. Still loves what he does and says he'll never retire. Still has dreams. He told me to follow my heart in terms of what I do with my life. He always taught me to "never take any ish from anybody, including me." He's outrageously blunt and funny as all get out. D@mn smart too. He also published three poetry books and supported himself through college working as a lounge singer. My parents have been married nearly 50 years.

My husband is amazing too. Our six year anniversary is coming up soon and we're still all googly about each other. He's a:

-good provider
    -excellent father to my child
    -soulmate
    -incredible lover
    -decent and honorable
    -protector
    -& smart, like an encyclopedia
    -completely supportive of me in all my endeavors
    -gives great back rubs (has big warm hands)
    -loves nappy hair on women
    -And he's been wearing dreadlocks for 17 years.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great posts, wish I could contribute...
    These stories are inspiring. :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we don't "need" a thread giving the brothers their props but it sure is nice. . . I'd love to stumble on black men's board and see a thread like this in honor of their black queens. . . not comments talking about we don't need a thread like this bc the sisters have issues. . . we all have issues after all. . . there's so much negativity out there regarding black men -- and black women too -- that some positivity is really a breath of fresh air.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to stumble on black men's board and see a thread like this in honor of their black queens
    I've done that before, they are out there.

Okay, maybe we can get back on track now that there's a spin-off topic.

Black men, you were once great; you shall be great again. - Marcus Garvey

Black males have long intrigued the western imagination, whether as gods or kings in much of classical antiquity or devils or sambos since the high Middle Ages....Tragically, every African American male who walks down any street in America carries with him the hidden heritage of this negative cultural and psychological legacy. - Henry Louis Gates Jr.

I love me a good black man
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad, my two brothers and some of my uncles and cousins are examples of Good Black men.
    I think we need to spend more time giving props to the Good black men and less time talking about all of the negatives.
    Yes, I know there are some sorry black men out there, but there are some sorry sistahs out there. If a boy grows up in a home where a mother is always b**ching and moaning about trifling azz black men, her son can grow up to have self hatred and resentment towards sistahs which causes the cycle to repeat itself.We need to start trying to figure out how we can help change the situation. I am not saying that we should be totally responsible for what brothers do but sometimes we are part of the problem. Many of us are raising these black men that we despise so much.
    I may date out of my race, I have had some brothers do me wrong BUT I STILL LOVE YOU BROTHERS!

^ This is my happy place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast