User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    acjazz28 Guest

Default Sun-In Hair Lightener Spray...instant Blonde/Red Hair? (pic)

I want to lighten my hair color, but I don't want anything too drastic. So I was in Big Lots earlier today and saw some Sun-In Spray In hair lightener (super w/lemon) for $1.99 (it's sold in stores for about $4.99, so this is a real bargain! . I remember many moons ago @ school that a friend of mine used it in her hair (permed) and got some really pretty light auburn highlights in her hair (and her original hair color was kinda off-black...not jet black)...

So I figure that I'll take the plunge and try it. I just want to lighten my hair just a tad so when I put my Warm Chestnut Jazzing on it, it will show up real nice-like ...Oh BTW, this stuff is peroxide based--it has no ammonia...and it says on the box that hair darker than is recommended (Blonde/Med Brown) will become reddish before the "desired highlighting effect" (i.e. Blonde) is reached...so it says to keep spraying until you get the blonde highlights...well, the 'red' is what I'm looking for :-) so I think I might have a winner here...or do I?

...has anyone tried this stuff before around here? :?:

D*Ja Guest

Hi Acjazz

I tried it and my hair was beyond repair. I had to cut off 2 inches in Aug :evil: due to Sun-in. Never again, that stuff is harsh (for me). I made my ends became very dry and hard, like a brillo paid.

acjazz28 Guest

Hi Acjazz

I tried it and my hair was beyond repair. I had to cut off 2 inches in Aug :evil: due to Sun-in. Never again, that stuff is harsh (for me). I made my ends became very dry and hard, like a brillo paid.
    I'm so sorry that you had to go through that!
    How did you apply it to your hair? Did you saturate your hair with it or did you spray a light mist over it? Did you deep condition it after you put it in? Questions, questions, questions...

I want to get all the details before I attempt (or IF I attemp) to do this...I don't have THAT much hair to get rid of if it goes awry ...

D*Ja Guest

I did it about 3 times. The first time I just did it lightly on my ends. The second time I sprayed alot more on my ends then used a blowdryer. :cry: I'm so mad at myself for doing that. The last time I did it the same as the second time. This was over a two week period.

And yes I did deep condition almost every day for a month. Needless to say it didn't help much as I still had to cut my ends. :cry:

In my case I may have over done it, but you should be fine if you use it lightly. :wink:

BTW this is the one I used.

Super

Curlysaurus Guest

Like JaBajan, I've used SunIn too (back in the early 90s). I was aiming for some reddish tints, which I got along with some breakage My hair was not relaxed. I probably oversaturated my hair and I don't think I washed it all out properly. I know I didn't deep condition (not too bright on my haircare back then :roll: ). I agree with JaBajan -- use lightly. :?

If I remember correctly, SunIn is diluted hydrogen peroxide. I think there's another brand of sun lightener that uses only lemon juice which might not be as harsh if you're looking for some mild highlights but I can't remember the name right now.

Curlicious Guest

I used this in the 7th grade! It dried out my hair a lot and I wass thoroughly scolded by my hairdresser. She hold me that peroxide has a tendency to get lighter and lighter, ie- doesn't neutralize, in products like Sun-in. So while you may have the desired effect at the moment, you may end up with something a little scary in a few months. BTW, I have off-black hair and my hair ended up orange!

LBellatrix Guest

My sister used Sun-In back in the day and she ended up with a jagged chunk of light brown hair that was shorter than the rest of her hair (instant bang).

Everyone else I've known who's ever used it had similar results.

Xcono Guest

If you desire color, please don't choose sun in as the way to go. I used it on my hair a long time ago, and while I got excellent results with color, my hair began to severely break off with damage. Get it done professionally and DEEP CONDITION LIKE CRAZY. God bless

hamsa Guest

I have used sun-in several times over the years. My hair is naturally medium brown with red undertones. During the summer i would put in conditioner, spray sun-in where i wanted the highlights and go outside for a few hours. During the winter i will apply conditioner, spray on sun-in and put on a plastic cap. I may sleep with the cap on or use the blowdryer (w/cap on) on a low setting for a few minutes, or just sit around the house and watch a movie. I think the cap creates a greenhouse effect to gently process the lightening.

I can't say that I have ever experienced any breakage or major dryness. The hair is definitely dryer than usual but it returns to normal in a day or two. Over the years I have used many permanent, and semi-permant hair colors and i would have to say that sun-in is about the gentlest thing i have ever tried, with the exception of henna. What i most appreciate about sun-in is that i can control the amount of lightening and depending on how i spray, can create a natural effect. I can get my hair the same way it looks naturally after a summer spent at the beach.

acjazz28 Guest

Thanks everybody for sharing your experiences with this stuff. :-) You know, I thought that getting the Sun-In would be gentler than getting something like Dark & Lovely hair coloring...even when I tried the Naturcolor Herbal colorlift (with 3% peroxide), it felt like it was 'stripping' my hair of its oils too. I like hamsa's idea of using conditioner along with the Sun-In so it won't be so drying (I assume)...

Here's what I'm gonna do...I'm going to give my Herbal colorlift stuff one more chance to work...if I don't get any noticeable highlights with it, I'll spray a LIGHT mist of Sun-In on it (with conditioner already applied) and see what happens. I'll take all the precautions I can. :-)

Thanks for sharing y'all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast