User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    TakomaQT Guest

I was looking around on naturally curly.com and I found a dialogue on straightening your hair with milk and another with Coconut milk and lime juice.

OKAY before everyone starts jumping up and down and yelling at me...My disclaimer is I in no way wish to straighten or otherwise relax my hair. What I am looking for is a way to tame the frizziness and make it a little silkier....

The recipie is as follows: 1) Take about a cup or more of whole milk and either put it in a spray bottle and spray your hair, or pour it on and comb through. Wring out the excess. Let it sit for about 1 hr, don't cover. Then shampoo and condition, finish as usual. The next time you wash your hair, the effect will be gone.

2) Mix 1 can of coconut milk with the juice of 2 limes. Put it in the refriderater over night. The thick cream that rises to the top will be what you'll put on your head. Smooth through hair leave on for 1 hr. Wash and condition hair, finish as usual. This effect lasts much longer than the plain milk.

I tried both methods, my hair was SSSSSSOOOOO soft and silky. My hair is 3a/b and I could definitely see the curl pattern loosening. On the naturally curly site the inside link has a lot of postings of success from folks with 4a/b hair as well.

I was really pleased.

PrettyP Guest

sounds simple. i'll try.

Sistaheart Guest

Quick question: Did u just put the mixture into a jar or cup?? Thanks!

AFashionSlave Guest

I heard about these homemade relaxers on longhaircareforum.com

:nohuh: Ladies Beware!

The coconut and lime mixture ferments into an acidic natural relaxer creme. The fermented white creme floats at the top and the liquid is left below. The lime mixture is also drying. Remember: Rio was an acidic hair relaxer. Lye and no-lye relaxers are alkaline.

Milk is high in protein. Milk protein is small enough to penetrate the hair shaft. Penetrating protein should be used in moderation. The milk needs to be used over and over and over again in order to straighten your hair. If you apply too much protein to your hair it can turn out hard and brittle which is the opposite of what you want.

If you are looking to soften your hair try experimenting with natural conditioners like honey + olive oil. When your hair is in good condition it will become soft on it's own without the use of homemade relaxers.

Good luck ladies.

If I were you I would stay away from these home made relaxers. Don't be fooled. They are hair relaxers!

Chamber Guest

Thanks Fashion Slave for straightening that out!!

AFashionSlave Guest

Originally posted by TakomaQT@Jul 22 2003, 03:03 PM

I tried both methods, my hair was SSSSSSOOOOO soft and silky. My hair is 3a/b and I could definitely see the curl pattern loosening.
    If your curl pattern is loosening, you have texturized your hair. Before everybody and their mama comes out to jump on you for loosening your natural hair texture I suggest that you try this site. There are a lot of women there who share your hair views. I think it will be more suitable for your wants.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ubbthread...ds.php?Cat=&C=2

"Nappturality is dedicated to all the women in the diaspora who proudly wear their highly textured hair naturally." That is a Dee quote.

No one here supports relaxed hair.