4real is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that if you aren't seeing ill effects you don't need to change. But I use aveda rosemary mint and vo5 clairfying.
    Last chemical fire cream April 2002
    100% natural December 2002
    Locs started Decemeber 2004
    Loose and free April 2006

In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed;
    Deliever me in Your righteousness.
    Bow down Your ear to me,
    Deliver me speedily;
    Be my rock of refuge,
    A fortress of defense to save me.
    For You are my rock and my fortress;
    Therefore, for your name's sake,
    Lead me and guide me.
    Psalm 31:1-3

Back in the hometown of Los Angeles, CA...YAY!!!
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Pantene Clarifying once a month and so far so good. I also use Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap which is good too.

I used to use Suave Clarifying but it was drying my hair out something crucial, so I stopped using it.
    PROVERBS 16:3 ON ME</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually use black or castille soap. If I need the extra power of a detergent based shampoo then I use whole foods brand - its $2. For me the issue with shampoos like pantene is wholisitic health. It&#39;s not about the appearance of your hair its about whether they contain chemical ingredients that may cause potential health risks down the line.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m an ingredients snob lol and would say that your concern about the cones in Pantene is warranted. Silicone is like liquid plastic and though it may take time to see any ill effects. It DOES coat the hair and once it does, it&#39;s very hard to remove and as well as products aren&#39;t able to work as well anymore such as your moisturizer, etc...I think that these ladies have mentioned some great alternatives and I use Aveda&#39;s Rosemary Mint shampoo which I dilute and spray on my roots to shampoo. Works really well and lasts me forever.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone! I bought the Suave Milk & Honey shampoo, and the Daily Clarifying, because i had a Walmart gift card with $3 left on it, so I figured why try it. I am trying to revamp my hair routine, because i&#39;ve never used anything, like a clarifying shampoo, or an ACV rinse, or anything but olive oil, rosemary and cedarwood EO&#39;s, and the pantene shampoo. I&#39;ll update, and tell you how it feels. Thanks for the help, and all the love. :wub:
    I found God in myself, and I loved her. ~~Ntozake Shange

[url="http://public.fotki.com/me220"][color=blue]My Album![/color][/url] Check out the Make-Up section.

[url="http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?r=15020211"][color=green]Free iPod![/color][/url] [url="http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=15334348"][color=red]Free Flat Screen!![/color][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@sexymocha304
    finally! someone got the same results as me using Suave. I thought something was wrong with me. When I used Suave my hair would be terribly dry and my loose naps would mat up and made combing a brain-pulling experience.

now I use Melaleuca brand. absolutely love it! for those that dont know tea tree is a diluted form which comes from the melaleuca plant which is found in australia.

I noticed "fwilso05" mentioned Nature&#39;s Gate. I think they sell it at Wild Oats Market. Does anyone know of Nature&#39;s Blessings?

peace
    lily

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let me see if I get this straight yall:
    all shampoos should be diluted first?

thanx!

Lily,
    starting out with bradelocz

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they should be diluted early on in your journey especially. if they are thick and creamy, you may consider continuing to cilute as your locs reach maturity. dr. bronner&#39;s soaps are just shampoos, they are all-purpose. for that reason, it is advised that you always dilute them--though some people don&#39;t.

ETA: there are have been a few different threads talking about nature&#39;s blessing. a search would pull up lots of information.
    http://public.fotki.com/londylocks --updated August 2010
    pw: strange fruit

follow me twitter: http://twitter.com/londyjamel
    check out my music: http://music.jdgreensoul.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My shampoo concoction consists of Dr Bronners Almond soap diluted with a chunk of black soap and olive oil. This really makes my locs feel nice. Clean without a stripped feel.
    7 year locs, relaxing and enjoying life

album pw: gummy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Melanizm@Mar 3 2005, 05:20 AM
    I don&#39;t have locs but I think if your hair is fine then why switch? if it&#39;s working and you aren&#39;t seeing anything bad then keep on keepin&#39; on :dunno:
    [snapback]742129[/snapback]

i agree with you, mel. but then the op feels that even though the hair is &#39;fine&#39; - maybe there is some other damage goin on because of the protein that is in the shampoo.

i dunno - if you&#39;re really concerned about it - i have had really good luck with the shampoos at whole foods. i am currently using the apricot shampoo they have in their natural section. i find myself experimenting there with their shampoos because i&#39;m confident that they only use natural ingredients and don&#39;t test on little cute bunnies and so forth. the price is a bit more than suave at walmart (grin) but its my little splurge i can afford (i tell myself). plus the shampoo there does last forever. there are about 5 folks using my shampoo at any given time and they all wash their hair EVERY day and a bottle of shampoo usually lasts me a good month or two. a little goes a long long ways.

-kari.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast