Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys! I've been searching and reading and still have a few questions. I would also like opinions.

Here's my info:
    I am due to deliver in about 4 weeks, so I'm curious about starting my locs now, as opposed to after the babe's born. I don't suppose it matters much, just thought I'd ask.

My hair is about 8-10 inches long at the crown, stretched. It tangles pretty easily and my coils usually look like pen-springs.

I've had these twists in since about January and due to my usual lazy nature, I have not done A THING to them since then except the occasional untwist/retwist/playing-in-my-hair thing.

So the roots are growing out, pretty fuzzy, and ready for some twisting or something. I have not used a product in my hair since about January. My scalp needs cleansing at this point.

I think maybe palmrolling will work for me. (Who here started with 5-10 inch twists and uses palmrolling? I need to see pics of what the two methods look like next to each other.)

So, my main questions are:
    *Where do I go from here? Or should I just leave my new growth alone for now?
    *Do I need to cleanse my scalp first or after I twist?
    *Then do my roots while still wet? How? Do I need clips?
    *Should I expect unravelling? How soon?
    *What happens where the twisted hair and the rolled hair meet? I don't need to have my roots constantly look neat but I do want a uniform look down the strand.

Also, if you have helpful search terms I could use, do tell! Thanks to the person who recommended naani.com to someone else.

Thanks!

blaqdredhd Guest

Originally posted by Tori@Mar 18 2005, 02:13 PM

I am due to deliver in about 4 weeks, so I'm curious about starting my locs now, as opposed to after the babe's born. I don't suppose it matters much, just thought I'd ask.

I am trying to decide between latch-hooking and i don't know what.

So, my main questions are: Where do I go from here? Do I need to cleanse my scalp first or after I twist/latch? Then do my roots while still wet? How? Do I need clips? Should I expect unravelling?

Also, if you have helpful search terms I could use, do tell! Thanks!
    [snapback]764378[/snapback]
    Hi Tori. I don't think it matters when you start, you won't really need to do much to your hair right away so it won't be a hindurance to "do your hair" with the new baby in tow. Mostly light spritzing with water/olive oil/eo is enough for starting out.

<span style='color:red'>The method you use is totally up to you and your hair. I tried retwisting with Rasta Loc & Twist gel and that was ok for me but not as good as latching. I finger latch and when I get in the mood to do a "good twisting" I pull out my gel and get to work but for my hair texture, twisiting never lasts as long as latching. I usually maintain my locs after a good washing. If you don&#39;t plan to wash often, which I just learned daily washing isn&#39;t really a +, you can use a latherless cleanser like the ORS Herbal Cleanse. Since your twists are going to be new you might want to try washing with a covering of some sort to protect the twists from coming unraveled, unless you start with latched locs. I am not sure how latched locs work but maybe a search will work for you on that.

When I first started with twists I didn&#39;t have much of a problem with the unraveling. When I tried to start with comb coils, they were coming unraveled left and right, top to bottom. If you are going to maintain by twisting you will need some clips, I have the duckbill clips.

I tried to do a search but got the xoops too many times so I gave up on that one. My search terms were method start locs, starter locs method, new locs, maintain loc methods, and maintain loc. Hopefully xoops won&#39;t get me when I try to add this reply! HTH! PM if you have any other questions.
    </span>

Peace

~**BDH**~