Thread: Canada

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you who've never been, what positive/negative things have you heard about this country? Just curious op:
    L'union fait la force....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Negative....it's cold.
    Positive....free health care!
    Livin.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only negative things I've heard about Canada involved the english vs french conflict in some areas and that it's bitterly cold.

On the flip side, I was told that the people (in general) are nice and that Toronto is a really clean urban city with an international feel.

Oh, and there's a lot of moose!
    Fokti: [url="http://public.fotki.com/jolie76/"]Fokti Album[/url]
    [url="http://www.meez.com/jolienoir"][img]http://images.meez.com/user/4/9/7/9/9/4/6/4979946_bodyshot_175x233.gif[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband used to be in the military and he said that the parts of Canada that he has been too were beautiful. I also heard that canada has the best health care system. The only negative thing i have heard (and this info comes from different military men that i know) was that the white women that they met there there were "easy" and would give it up to any black man they encountered.
    Man will believe anything, as long as it's not in the Bible
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    John 8:12 - Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by godslady@Apr 9 2005, 01:41 AM
    The only negative thing i have heard (and this info comes from different military men that i know) was that the white women that they met there there were "easy" and would give it up to any black man they encountered.
    [snapback]798819[/snapback]
    :icon_eek13: That last comment reeks of misogony and bigotry all wrapped up in ignorance. I'm sure the general population of white women in Canada who sleep with black men do not consider themselves "easy." They are just as free as any other woman to express their sexuality as they choose and with whomever they choose without being labelled as such. I think the comment was a little crude.
    Fokti: [url="http://public.fotki.com/jolie76/"]Fokti Album[/url]
    [url="http://www.meez.com/jolienoir"][img]http://images.meez.com/user/4/9/7/9/9/4/6/4979946_bodyshot_175x233.gif[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jolie76@Apr 9 2005, 10:56 AM
    :icon_eek13: That last comment reeks of misogony and bigotry all wrapped up in ignorance. I'm sure the general population of white women in Canada who sleep with black men do not consider themselves "easy." They are just as free as any other woman to express their sexuality as they choose and with whomever they choose without being labelled as such. I think the comment was a little crude.
    [snapback]799192[/snapback]
    I apologize that you were offended, i was just telling what i "heard" as the post stated. People CAN express thier sexuality as they like, but truth is my male military friends in the past told me that the white women in canada they met were "easy", and would bumrush the black men and sleep with them on the first night. If ANY woman wants to expres her sexuality in that way she runs the risk of being called names like "easy"(and that is not the names they called these women they were very harsh,and i refuse to repeat them) by the man that slept with her and no longer has any respect from her because of it. Now this does not mean every white canadian women who sleeps with black men is "easy", i never said they met the general population of canadian women either. I said what they told me about the white women that they"encountered"... they did not meet them all. And again this is what my military friends would say about canada so its still hearsay, i can't say that it's true.
    Man will believe anything, as long as it's not in the Bible
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    John 8:12 - Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jolie76@Apr 8 2005, 10:38 PM
    Oh, and there's a lot of moose!
    [snapback]798614[/snapback]
    ointlaugh: ointlaugh: Born and raised in Montreal never saw a Moose in my life!!!

This thread could get interesting.

As for white women being easy, that's a given among Black Canadian men, Ive heard of that generalization time and time again unfortunately.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jolie76@Apr 9 2005, 01:56 PM

I, too, am watching for the stereotypes in this thread.

About a week ago I ran into an American man. He was bound and determined to tell me every Canadian generalization that he knew of...Starting with commenting on our weather.

Toronto and the Northern region of the US (i.e. New York State) have comparable weather patterns. When people try to tell me how colder-than-thou we supposedly are, I either wind up rolling my eyes or laughing.

I mean yes, there are parts of Canada that are cold year-round. But in its Northern regions. From what I recall of high school geography...The majority of us live well below the Arctic Circle.

And as for the weather in Southern B.C...? Don't get me started. Every time I hear about it, I'm jealous.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

chartu is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jolie76@Apr 9 2005, 10:56 AM
    ITA

Not downing godslady, but some men make me sick with all that double standard ish. As if all these harsh names they were using to describe the women they were with shouldn't be applied to themselves. What makes them any better or more respectable than these women?

Okay, rant over. Back on topic.

My husband and I went to Montreal during the holidays and absolutely loved it. Its a gorgeous city, and most of the food we ate was amazing.

curlycaramel80 Guest

I actually had the pleasure of visiting Canada last summer. It was okay. A little bland.

I did like the fact that whites were VERY accepting of me (as a black women). I didn't feel like a minority.

I didn't like the food. GRAVY OVA FRENCH FRIES, YEUCK! :angry:

Overall though, I think I'd give it another try just to see if Canada can redeem itself.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast