Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah ok

sorry i didnt mean that to you specifically or anyone else in this thread

it's just that sometimes i hear people say things like "i don't have the gift" or "i'm gifted" when it comes this stuff and from my observations it ends up setting up a hierarchy of sorts. also people start to believe that they themselves can't get insight into their own problems or situations and must therefore go to someone to do this for them.
    [/b]

ok cool

Fair enough, fine, and blah blah. Besides giving your opinion on "spiritual discernment," what have you added beyond sliming all up, behind and through my reply? Without a doubt some will overlook the contents of each and every previous post to judge *me and only me* as the guilty/bad person here for merely responding to the question(s) of:
    So...you rule and are all-knowing, the definitive and absolutely right on this and everything else, Mahogny1, K??

*sarcasm* I had no right to reply to the OP's question *sarcasm* so, now that this has been written, feel better now? I hope so and good night!
    [/b]
    :lol: my empath senses detect hostility. relax, relate, release. wooosssaahhhh

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is important that we don't confuse bipolar extremes of emotions with the phenomenum of "empathy."
    AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bipolar extremes of emotions? whoa. Okay, this thread has taken a left turn.

care to elaborate on that Babylon?
    THiNK PiNK!~Nappy & loving it since 6.25.05~
    public.fotki.com/Loquacious1
    Be Decadent! Decadentindustries.net
    COMING SOON - DecadentBeauty.net
    Ad Approval Code: N1311

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bipolar extremes of emotions? whoa. Okay, this thread has taken a left turn.

care to elaborate on that Babylon?
    [/b]
    I really liked the way GG explained. An Empath can tune into the emotions or pains of another person and sometimes take them on as their own...but they don't just all of a sudden have emotional outbursts (like crying) when in the presence of certain people.

Anyway, don't want this thread to make a "left" turn so I'm through with that.

I use to pick up all kinds of energy from people and mistake as my own feelings, nervousness, overly excited, etc.. I have become better at shielding myself because now when I am feeling a certain way for no particular obvious reason I ask myself if this is my emotion, feeling, misery, pain. etc..? And if so, what caused it? It is hardly ever my energy and I can never think of why I am feeling such a way so I just throw it off and keep it moving...and then everything is ok and I am no longer feeling energy that does not belong to me.

AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as far as this stuff (in general) being a gift i say phooey to that. it's something that we as humans can all do, sort of like how we are born with the capacity for speech. there's no need to feel special about being able to do something that's encoded in your dna, at least not in my opinion[/b]
    Galaxygirl, glad you said that. I concur.

I don't know if I'm an empath so much as super sensitive to people and the energies they carry with them.

But I have had some interesting experiences. When my sister was preggers and nobody knew yet, I was going through a whole lot of morning sickness, skipped periods and my stomach even blew up a little (to the point that other people questioned whether I was pregnant). It was so bad that I would take pregnancy tests (and I wasn't even sexually active). Finally she came out with the good news and I was really relieved. My stomach went down and my period came back full force, lol. After she had the baby, my breasts became extremely painful and sore. The end.

Also, I think animals are the ultimate empaths! They could probably put us humans to shame.

Carry on
    Hey! Check out my hair [url="http://www.alocstory.blogspot.com"]Blog[/url]

"The truth isn't a slap in the face, so much as a deep tissue massage."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empathy is simply the ability to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. It is a gift for many people, but for others it has to be taught through spiritual practice and repetition.

It is very different from sympathy and does not encompass the need to feel sorry for, pity, cry for, or show charity to people. It is the ability to say to oneself "how would I feel if I were in this situation". Most people do not want sympathy anyway. They would rather have someone be able to clearly empathize with their difficult situations instead of condescending with pity.

Barack Obama has the gift of empathy, which is one of the things that has propelled him to where he is today. He may have been born with it as a gift, but he stated that his mother taught him to look at other people and ask himself "how would you feel if that were you". His mother may have simply noticed the gift in him and carefully cultivated it. People are drawn to empathic people and souls.

He also has the clear understanding that the gift of empathy is far more effective when one is attempting to help people than sheer pity and sympathy, such as Barbara Bush showed to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

There are also different levels of empathy, as Babylon and MissLizz pointed out, such as maternal instinct.
    Quit tripping on what you're wearing on your behind and get some education in your head.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are also different levels of empathy[/b]
    Your right. Anyone can have an emotional reaction to a situation they deem as sad, abusive, etc. but only an empath can feel what the person, etc is actually feeling themselves. An empath can automatically tune into the feelings of people (with out trying) who are no where near them.

Empath and sympathy are two different energies. Any body can have sympathy but the empath can actually be in ones shoes and feel whatever they are feeling at the time.

I am learning that an empath has certain characteristics that most people tend to have to some degree but like G.G. said, everyone has the ability to be an empath but either does not experience it or experiences it on different levels. Some empaths are stonger than others.

Empath is different from simply being sympathetic and emotional about a situation, cause, event, etc.. the empath takes sympathy to a whole nother level by being able to actually experience anothers pain, emotions, fear, etc... instead of looking on the outside of their conditions and feeling sorry for them.

There is an difference between seeing what a person is going through and knowing what their going through because you actually feel their pain or situation as they feel it.
    AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right. Anyone can have an emotional reaction to a situation they deem as sad, abusive, etc. but only an empath can feel what the person, etc is actually feeling themselves. An empath can automatically tune into the feelings of people (with out trying) who are no where near them.

Empath and sympathy are two different energies. Any body can have sympathy but the empath can actually be in ones shoes and feel whatever they are feeling at the time.

I am learning that an empath has certain characteristics that most people tend to have to some degree but like G.G. said, everyone has the ability to be an empath but either does not experience it or experiences it on different levels. Some empaths are stonger than others.

Empath is different from simply being sympathetic and emotional about a situation, cause, event, etc.. the empath takes sympathy to a whole nother level by being able to actually experience anothers pain, emotions, fear, etc... instead of looking on the outside of their conditions and feeling sorry for them.

There is an difference between seeing what a person is going through and knowing what their going through because you actually feel their pain or situation as they feel it.
    [/b]
    girrrlll i am over here clappin' my feet!!! thank you. very well said. :lol: :blush:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]
    i agree with this.

although empathy, sympathy and ultimately compassion aren't the same things, but it's possible that sometimes they can lead to one another. but for true compassion to be there -at least how i see it - there has to be the willingness to have empathy/sympathy with the"victim" but also for the "victimizer"

a little off topic, not sure how many in here believe in past lives/reincarnation, but i have an idea that one of the reasons it's hard to recall past lives is because of that hard aspect of empathy (having empathy for the victimizer). having past life memories means that eventually you'll be confronted with lives where you've hurt others and having to acknowledge that's also a part of you.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast