Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems as if the place is following the good old adage, "Well, black people are marketing to blacks, so what's the big deal?" It almost reminds me of how the Got Milk? campaign sends out, for example, a hispanic ad agency to market milk to hispanics...when it's been proven that around 70-80% of that population is lactose-intolerant.

The thing that bothers me is that McD's is pushing their crap as being healthy, and is using musicians and figures that are popular amongst blacks to sell that message--like how now, McD's is sponsoring Destiny Child's summer tour, and of course the group is releasing soundbites like, "'We are so grateful to McDonald's for their sponsorship of our US tour -'Destiny fulfilled...and lovin' it'- and for continuing to offer fresh and wholesome choices," said Beyoncé Knowles, founding member of Destiny's Child.'" I saw a print ad where the group is actually being touted as "Balanced, Active Lifestyle Ambassadors," which cracks me up as there are few things that McD's pushes, beyond water, that are balanced (even their yogurt is loaded with excess sugar, for reasons beyond me). Plus, didn't Beyonce go through that period where she only ate cucumbers and tomatoes for lunch to stay thin?

It's like McD's expects people to just slug on off to their restaurants, regardless of the obvious stuff they're pulling to bring in black customers, and regardless of how the black community is suffering from health problems because of overeating food like the kind sold in McD's. Having internal organizations such as the National Black McDonald's Operators Association (again, this group is something that I saw used in a PR release at BlackPR.com awhile ago as a means to say, "Hey, lookit the good we're doing for black people), and using pop culture "icons" to help people rationalize their hankering for a Big Mac is something I think is a bit insidious as it's almost like they're intentionally using weak points in black mindsets to sell us food.

Which is exactly part of what marketing is supposed to do. So I guess McD's is pushing their crap to black people because historically, black people keep shoveling it down.

My bigger question is why do black people keep eating this unhealthy crap, especially when scientific and anecdotal evidence keeps appearing which explain that the food is killing people? I can only call McD's to task for so long, as KFC, Popeyes, Brown's Chicken, and goodness knows which other fast food restaurants are right behind them.

Many of the justifications I've heard people give for eating McD's are, surprise surprise, eerily similar to those I've heard for people using relaxers:

-There's nothing wrong with their food (nothing wrong with relaxers)
    -I don't have time to deal with making a real meal (no time to deal with natural hair)
    -My kids like it (my girl likes playing in and swinging her relaxed hair)
    -My kid can't be the only one who doesn't eat it (I can't have a nappy-headed child)
    -Their food is good (relaxers make my hair good)
    -If so many people are made sick from eating it, why is it still being sold?
    -I only eat it every once in a while (I only relax every few months, or only use a texturizer)
    -I've been eating it forever, and I'm not sick
    -It doesn't make us fat, black people are supposed to have meat on their bones anyway (relaxers don't hurt, and our hair needs to be straightened, anyway)
    -It doesn't cost that much, and I can feed a bunch of people with it

On and on.

I really need to find the "how to market s*** to black people and make them think it's gold" manual, as it's almost like there's a formula to sell unhealthy and damaging products to blacks (yeah, I know, the stuff is sold to all people, but I swear that minorities consistently get peddled the most awful crap) that's used verbatim in different situations.

charli is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And just because Chinese or Thai food (just to name two Asian cultures) has veggies in it doesn't mean it's healthier. Yeah, you're probably getting more fiber than that Big Mac, but you're also getting some fat too. That's something I had to learn the hard way because I LOVE Asian food in general. Nowadays the only Asian food I pick up on a regular basis (once a week...I've cut down) is sushi.
    Interesting enough, that's "Americanized" Asian food. I have one friend who went to China as an exchange student and another who lived there for about a year. They don't eat quite like that in their own country. It's a way of making their dishes fit the American palate.
    gigglezk- she comes over to np to air her dirty laundry but then can't handle it when we tell her her draws stank

AnaisKarim- There really are gender differences and there is nothing wrong with that as long as we recognize them and don't get continually blindsided by the constant quest for equality in every little thing. I feel my worth is equal to a man, but my function doesn't have to mirror his.

AnaisKarim- Hardheadedness and the inability to learn from the mistakes of others are two of the things that are causing quite a bit of grief for black women in the US today. We too often look for the one exception to the rule to justify making poor choices.

utamu- I love how talk of sexual openness turns into women needing to be willing to do any and everything to please their man (against her own preferences) because god forbid he'll cheat. We can't proclaim the era of sexual freedom and tolerance while telling women they need to be held hostage by a man's sexuality.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AnaisKarim@May 11 2005, 10:22 AM
    And they sure as heck don't pig out buffet style like we do over here. In fact, most of my friends from other countries are appalled at the sheer amount of food we eat - let alone the contents.

We are just plain lazy and greedy - blanket generalization - but it applies to so many that it's shocking.
    [snapback]843183[/snapback]
    That is what I was getting at… the sheer amounts of food we eat and the quality of it. My great grandmother ate bacon but no more than 2 pieces for breakfast (I don’t have that kind of discipline)… but when you order a “side” of bacon in most restaurants you get 4-6 pieces.

I even know fat vegetarians because their diet is based upon large quantities of high fat, super refined, garbage they ingest.

The truth is you can get yogurt and salads at most restaurants, including McDonald’s but most people in our community say I ain’t paying $5-7 for a salad and water (some McDonald’s offered this as a value meal) because I won’t be full.

I remember once going to McDonald’s and ordered a burger, fries and salad to be spilt between my daughter and myself… we both got water and I had a coffee… girl I opened the bag and there were 2 burgers and fries, chocolate milk and cookies… I took the bag back up front because I thought I had gotten someone’s food. The girl at the counter said “Don’t worry about it I know how it is I am a single mother too”… the assumption was that I brought food to share because I couldn’t afford more food… Even though we ate the meal as I originally planned, my daughter wanted the chocolate milk and the cookies… Funny thing is that I took the cookies and milk home and put them up and she forgot about them.

I’m trying to teach my daughter moderation and it took this incident to teach me that the only way to do that is at home… she is 11 and I find myself having to applaud her making good choices and refraining from gluttony… I think that something has gone wrong when you have to reward your kid for not eating garbage because that has become the norm ~W
    GET INSPI(RED)

You gotta be grateful you need haters
    What are you complaining about
    What do you think a haters job is
    To hate
    So let them do their job ~ Katt Williams

SO BE IT ~W

Sunchild is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jennifer ^v^@May 11 2005, 11:50 AM
    and using pop culture "icons" to help people rationalize their hankering for a Big Mac is something I think is a bit insidious as it's almost like they're intentionally using weak points in black mindsets to sell us food.

Which is exactly part of what marketing is supposed to do. So I guess McD's is pushing their crap to black people because historically, black people keep shoveling it down.

My bigger question is why do black people keep eating this unhealthy crap, especially when scientific and anecdotal evidence keeps appearing which explain that the food is killing people?
    [snapback]843139[/snapback]
    On point as ever.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AnaisKarim@May 11 2005, 11:38 AM
    But I feel you on portion sizes. I grew up poor so it was about budget, not diet. You didn't eat all the food in one sitting because you'd be hungry for the rest of the week if you did. I never had a weight problem until I graduated from college and could afford to eat junk.

ETA: When we were small and went to Micky D's, it was only during a road trip and we had a CHOICE of hamburger, fries or a drink. And no matter what you chose, it was always the wrong thing. You'd have your little fries and see someone else with an icy soda or a hamburger and be all sad. :lol:
    [snapback]843350[/snapback]
    I was an only child so I got ALL 3 but that wasn’t often… I grew up in the I-got-ground beef-at-home house :lol:

Ours was about budget as well… I mean we never went hungry but once we moved up in lifestyle my mom would do things like make pork chops and fried chicken for the same meal… When we got some money and the great grandmothers didn’t do the cooking I found more and more she was baking and making starchy heavy comfort foods and less and less veggies because those pots of greens reminded her of being broke…

Which is why I think that all the fast food eating is associated with affluence by those who can least afford to eat that way. I think that there is a mentality that you’re giving yourself/family a “special” treat ALL the time.

Maybe it is our generations memories of how special McDonald’s was… remember kids saying things like “If I had a million dollars I would eat McDonald’s everyday”…

A friend of mine now weighs at least 400 lbs won’t touch a veggie except corn or potatoes… who says that his favorite aunt gained that status because she took him to McD’s and let him eat as many fielt o fish or big macs that he wanted… because his mom couldn’t afford to take him.

My thought is that maybe we have taken something good from our childhood and made it awful by over indulging our kids in it… to fulfil something in us.~W
    GET INSPI(RED)

You gotta be grateful you need haters
    What are you complaining about
    What do you think a haters job is
    To hate
    So let them do their job ~ Katt Williams

SO BE IT ~W

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by charli@May 11 2005, 12:10 PM
    And just because Chinese or Thai food (just to name two Asian cultures) has veggies in it doesn't mean it's healthier. Yeah, you're probably getting more fiber than that Big Mac, but you're also getting some fat too. That's something I had to learn the hard way because I LOVE Asian food in general. Nowadays the only Asian food I pick up on a regular basis (once a week...I've cut down) is sushi.
    Interesting enough, that's "Americanized" Asian food. I have one friend who went to China as an exchange student and another who lived there for about a year. They don't eat quite like that in their own country. It's a way of making their dishes fit the American palate.
    [snapback]843156[/snapback]
    Exactly.

Sunchild is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AnaisKarim+May 11 2005, 04:47 PM-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-watercolorz
    @May 11 2005, 02:49 PM

Which is why I think that all the fast food eating is associated with affluence by those who can least afford to eat that way. I think that there is a mentality that you’re giving yourself/family a “special” treat ALL the time.

Maybe it is our generations memories of how special McDonald’s was… remember kids saying things like “If I had a million dollars I would eat McDonald’s everyday”…

[snapback]843490[/snapback]
    I was asking myself - hey what are these things on my back? :shocker: Tootsie rolls. :lol:
    [snapback]843645[/snapback]
    [/b]
    LMAO, ok that was funny.

Watercolorz you really broke it down in a way I have never even consisdered before. The irony of it all is that McDonalds and fast food joints are seen as status, of all places to eat and indulge.... :lol:

feepee Guest

Originally posted by AnaisKarim+May 11 2005, 02:47 PM-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-watercolorz
    @May 11 2005, 02:49 PM

[snapback]843490[/snapback]
    I absolutely agree with this. It is seen as proof that we&#39;ve arrived that we can eat 3 meals a day at a fast food joint. Eating McD&#39;s 2 times a year won&#39;t harm you, but twice a day is a good way to get every illness known to man. Since there is status attached to it, folks will keep eating there.

I know when I was small, I used to dream of the day when I could eat all the crispy fries and thick shakes I wanted. I was going to go to McD&#39;s and get all THREE choices in a LARGE. Fast forwad to being a single professional with no kids, no real bills yet, a car and the Wendy&#39;s $.99 menu. It wasn&#39;t long before I was asking myself - hey what are these things on my back? :shocker: Tootsie rolls. :lol:
    [snapback]843645[/snapback]
    [/b]
    :lol: :lol:

nothing to add really, yall are expressing my opinion quite nicely op:

But i will like to add that i&#39;m glad my son considers ANY eating out something special and rare. he will gladly choose some baked chicken over nuggets. sometimes when he wastes a happy meal and asked for yogurt and grapes instead, i secretly get happy inside. i want him to consider less fatty (or meaty) foods the norm. cuz i see so many kids that grow up on too much junk end up unhealthy and waaaay over weight. and we got folks saying, "oh he/she just healthy and thick".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AnaisKarim@May 11 2005, 09:22 AM
    And they sure as heck don&#39;t pig out buffet style like we do over here. In fact, most of my friends from other countries are appalled at the sheer amount of food we eat - let alone the contents.

We are just plain lazy and greedy - blanket generalization - but it applies to so many that it&#39;s shocking.
    [snapback]843183[/snapback]
    That&#39;s a good point--I was talking to the intern in my office today(he just turned 20), and he was saying he was going to get 5 bucks worth of double cheeseburgers at McDonalds. That is 5 great big sandwiches, double meat, double cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup & bread...and he got a large fry too. I said why did he need all of that, and he said it&#39;s the only way he feels full. I was :shocker: .

Americans still eat like we&#39;re lifting barges and toting bales for a living...when most of us are desk jockeys at least part of the time...our portions are getting bigger while our lifestyles are getting more sedentary...

But wait...my original question...why Black folks? White people have more money to spend to begin with. Chicanos & Hispanics spend just as crazily as we do (blanket generalization, sorry), but I don&#39;t see a whole lot of commercials targeting them. Asians, at least on the west coast, can be just as hood and undereducated as Black people and young Asians and young blacks are in some places becoming a near interchangeable economic demographic. :dunno:

What I wonder now is, are we really buying so much McDonald&#39;s to begin with? We can&#39;t be giving them *too* much business, otherwise there wouldn&#39;t be that many ads. Are they just capitalizing on our already established poor eating habits? So is it that we(generally) already eat crap, and McDonald&#39;s is cashing in on that tendency, as charli said?

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

charli is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I wonder now is, are we really buying so much McDonald&#39;s to begin with? We can&#39;t be giving them *too* much business, otherwise there wouldn&#39;t be that many ads
    Look at where McDonald&#39;s are located. I mean, hell, now they have them at the gas station. But I notice that the saturation of McD&#39;s is higher in the urban areas than the middle to upper class burbs. You can even look at the McD&#39;s website and check it out with cities that you know.

Actually, it&#39;s an interesting thing. Because I don&#39;t live in the major metropolitan area anymore. But I eat out fairly often. And we often have to drive a considerable distance (15 minutes) to get to an area with good restaurants with quality food. Or else, it&#39;s mostly chicken, barbecue places, Red Lobster (oh don&#39;t get me started) and such.

Since last minute meals are often a function of proximity, then most people limit themselves to pizza, chinese food and fast food. That&#39;s a reality.

But if you are white, and middle to upper class and live in the burbs, you have a different caliber of pizza joints and not as many fast food restaurants and more real restaurants.

Like I said, we eat out a lot and the better restaurants are often in middle to upper class neighborhoods that are predominantly white.
    gigglezk- she comes over to np to air her dirty laundry but then can&#39;t handle it when we tell her her draws stank

AnaisKarim- There really are gender differences and there is nothing wrong with that as long as we recognize them and don&#39;t get continually blindsided by the constant quest for equality in every little thing. I feel my worth is equal to a man, but my function doesn&#39;t have to mirror his.

AnaisKarim- Hardheadedness and the inability to learn from the mistakes of others are two of the things that are causing quite a bit of grief for black women in the US today. We too often look for the one exception to the rule to justify making poor choices.

utamu- I love how talk of sexual openness turns into women needing to be willing to do any and everything to please their man (against her own preferences) because god forbid he&#39;ll cheat. We can&#39;t proclaim the era of sexual freedom and tolerance while telling women they need to be held hostage by a man&#39;s sexuality.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast