Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have different circles of friends. With the friends I met through my SO, I can talk politics with them -- no problem. We share political beliefs and diverge on minor parts.

MY friends on the other hand... I can discuss it a little bit, but if we go too far, I might lose my cool. Not because of their beliefs (well...a little) but because they don't want to back up their arguments with reasons. And I would hate that because I love them too much.

Friends from home -- no problem. Similar political philosophy.

Friends from college:
    Friend 1 - is latina and believes the Republican party has her best interests at heart. She alsoe believes that W is basically a "good man." Damn it! A "good man" doesn't necessarily equal good PRESIDENT! :doh
    Friend 2 - is not yet naturalized. She stears clear of discussions of politics, religion, and sex. But I can tell when she doesn't agree with certain philosopies. I don't talk much about it with her because she is either uninterested or does not wish to offend me.

Friends from law school - both are black.
    American friend - "conservative" democrat - in social values more so than spending. But we have interesting discussions. She doesn't mind a good debate.
    Nigerian friend - "conservative" conservative. She's very religious and prefers conservative government spending. She never voices her opinion on OTHER acts of the Bush administration... but she will comment on his Shell Oil friends and the effects she sees in her homeland.

All in all -- I've learned how to measure a person's interest in discussion. It's hard because my SO is very involved in politics and we discuss and debate all the time. We love the intellectual stimulation.

I guess it comes down to how much similarity you share with the other person or how much you love to debate. If you can debate without getting your feelings hurt, and enjoy sharing ideas, you're good to go.

Question: do you consider it taboo to discuss politics?
    Last R.elaxer: Dec. 2003 Big Chop: March 4, 2005

"I know I'm not ordinary... Alright! I'm EXTRAORDINARY! What of it?" -Laurence of Arabia

When you discover what happens when your thoughts, feelings, and actions align, you have discovered the secret.

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. --Harriet Tubman

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't find it hard to discuss politics with my friends. Even with friends from college, we shared similiar political views. I mean we didn't agree on every single thing but for the most part we had the same world view. I don't know why. I guess I just gravitate towards people with like minds? :dunno:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

roxygirl is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Scooby. Most of my friends share the same political views as me, so we rarely have anything to debate.

I have a few acquaintances who believe in different politics than me, so if we choose to talk about it, we give our views on the subject and either hear each other out and comment civilly or agree to disagree.
    My fotki
    Updates: 07/26/09

Click here to feed abandoned animals. It's free and you can click everyday.

Tenkei Guest

Oh Yes! It's exciting! op:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love to discuss politics with my friends. Heck, I'll discuss politics with total strangers, given the right circumstances.

If I *can't* discuss politics with someone--whether or not we agree--they aren't really a friend.

Funnily enough, I don't under any circumstances discuss politics with family.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by tjolims@May 11 2005, 01:44 PM

Funnily enough, I don't under any circumstances discuss politics with family.
    [snapback]843370[/snapback]
    i'm just the opposite. i'll only discuss politics with family but i refuse to have religious debates/dialogue with them.

nappi4

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by emerald06@May 11 2005, 09:48 AM
    ...I might lose my cool. Not because of their beliefs (well...a little) but because they don't want to back up their arguments with reasons. Question: do you consider it taboo to discuss politics?
    [snapback]843082[/snapback]
    I will discuss politics, religion or anything else with anyone who can do exactly what you said.

anabwi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Politics and religion are not discussed !! My friends are strong, opionated women who speak their minds and those discussions can get lengthy, emotional and sometimes heated.

nukia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My group of friends are all liberal, and so we tend to agree on most political issues. When I was in school we used to invite a few conservatives over to drinking parties and would have drunken, yet stimulating arguments that would last well into the night, miss those days.

I tend to wear my politics on my sleeve, and have been known to refuse to interact with people based on thier politics...this was especially bad after the election...I guess I am a sore loser! I refused to speak to my friends for a couple of days coz they did not vote! All this and I am not even American, and can't vote.