User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Damage

curlyfae Guest

Guys, here is your friendly experimentor extraordinaire with yet another hair mishap.

I got the fro burnt for a graduation. Did I read the posted topic on heat damage. Yes I did. Repeatedly. For about a week. Did I do it anyways? Yes, because so many people's hair just bounced on back. I figured my naps were strong enough to bounce on back.

I should have been afraid as the woman flatironed my hair and was saying things like, "Your hair is so soft" "It's straightening so easy" yada yada yada. Yep, it's still straight in some spots after washing. The same spots I was suspicious about because they were SO shiny and SO straight (imagine black barbie doll hair and that's the hair that won't bounce back).

So, it comes down to another big chop (after three years and 10+ inches of growth) or just getting it burnt/relaxed. I wanted to start locs after the last experiment....is this still a possibility or should I just start over or try to start off my locs the way straighter haired peeps do it.

P.S. I promise this is really the LAST time I experiment with my naps. At least with something so extreme. It's been said before and I'm gonna say it again, HEAT DAMAGE IS NOOOOOOOOOO JOKE!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start over. It's summertime, the perfect time for a B.C. You'll look great and chic for the hot summer months. Also you'll have enough growth to keep your head warm come wintertime. Good luck :afro: . -- Tryce

Locs 2nd Set: April 3rd 2012 - Yup they're back

lisa_826 Guest

Try not to beat yourself up over it, just take it as a lesson learned.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should cut the damage off and then start your locs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U should wait a few months. The same thing happened to me and after 1 trim and some wet sets my hair reverted back. So all may not be totally lost.
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

If you educate a girl you educate a generation. Mary Mcleod Bethune

"Imagine going to work and not being able to do your job. Now imagine that you can't leave your job.Imagine having to do that everyday.This is what life is like for children with learning disabilities."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:boohoo:

Poohbear215 Guest

During the week when u saw the warning, did u see the threads of others' heat damage experience? If so, did you see the recommended solutions??? :dunno:

CUT IT OFF! That's what I had to do. I hated having two different textures of my hair. Also, the damaged hair smelled awful and little broken pieces would be on my hands everytime I touched my hair. I decided to start fresh and anew with re.laxer-free and heat-free natural hair.

No more heat experiments missy. :icon_headshake:

Best wishes 2 you & your hair! :afro:

curlyfae Guest

The thought of starting over doesn't too much sadden me. I probably should. Sisters like Natitwists who just upped and did a big chop after 4+ years of growth inspire me. Plus summer is coming.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you want to loc I would think you could loc with the length you have already without chopping. :dunno: I have heard and seen some women starting locs with the perm in their hair. Don't quote me know because I am not an expert. :P Just stay away from the heat okay.
    Natural since 1998.
    Member on Nappturality since 2003
    Proud NOTM May 2005

http://www.facebook.com/jazitones?ref=name

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to research Sisterlocks. With that method, I think you can loc now with your current length without cutting and starting over.
    Keep it moving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast