Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed something as I was reading thru the board. I have lurked here for a while, but I'm just curious about this.

I normally wear my hair in 2 strand twists, with an occasional twist out or french braid, but I normally have to do my hair every 10-14 days.

Now I noticed a lot of women complaining that they wished styles lasted longer and they didn't have to do their hair every other day, or every 2 days, or every 5 days or whatever.

My question is: How often did you do your hair when it was relaxed? The only time in my life that i have been able to get away with doing my hair less is when I'm wearing braids. Maybe it's because I have always worked out, but I have always had to do my hair every few days, washing/conditioning, the whole thing. Yes it did take less time, but I was going bald at the sides, and my crown breakage was phenomenal.

So I guess what I'm saying is in perspective, are we really doing our hair more often? Or is it that we are doing our own hair, instead of sitting in the hairdressers for 6 hours?

what do you think?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am doing my hair less. In the past I was a faithful every two weeker at the salon, spending lots of moolah. For me, I can say that I spend less time and moolah on my hair. Now I could on curb this PJunkish. :P
    Natural since 1998.
    Member on Nappturality since 2003
    Proud NOTM May 2005

http://www.facebook.com/jazitones?ref=name

cmesweet Guest

I do my own hair the same as I always have. I been doing my own hair since a little before highschool...the last time I went to a hair dresser was for prom and even then I took it down and redid it. Now, I'm 23 and I still do my hair once a week or once every week and a half.

The District (via Chi-town... via New Jerusalem)
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure I do my hair less often than when I had a perm. I was wondering the same thing, Jazitones. Personally, I do my PS- double-strands, once a month. In the beginning they look like ropes, next fuzzy ropes, and then for the last two weeks, wonderfully dread-like. It could also just be a preference for some people, to show one side of their hair consistently, i.e. someone might not want to have their twists get fuzzy, so they do it over sooner. It depends on the person. Me... I'm lazy, and I like how my hair takes different forms with so little effort.
    [SIZE=2]"No need to fry, or live the lye!"
    - nu-curl</span>[/SIZE]

makeba is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have been on a routine of washing/conditioning my hair weekly since junior high school. i tried an experiment to see if i can keep a set of twists in for two weeks and it worked for some reason, but during the process i had to cleanse my scalp with sea breeze and rinse often which caused fuzzy twists. my hair didnt look bad but when i went to take it down my ends in some sections were matted. i think i will just have to change product usage slightly if i keep them in for two weeks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m doing my hair more...definitely...

I&#39;ve never been one to sit at the salon (once, maybe twice a year...). When I was cracked out (the creamy crack that is... ), I wore my hair up a lot. I rarely used a blow dryer, so I was in the shower, washed, condished, and in a ponytail in about 30 minutes. Now on the other hand styles like twists take me 4-6 hours to complete, and I can only keep them in for 5-6 days if I&#39;m lucky. So when I say I can&#39;t keep a style in very long, that&#39;s the truth.

The main difference now is that I enjoy my hair and have fallen in love with combing it, taking care of it, etc. cuz it&#39;s all mine.
    Natural-Ree
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
    Chinese Proverb.

cheetarah198 Guest

I do my own hair for the most part. If I&#39;m wearing twists, then those last for about 2 weeks. I&#39;ve found box braids can last me 4 weeks or more.

Niya is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, i didn&#39;t go to the hairdresser.
    I washed once a week then, I wash once a week now. Only difference is, my hair could airdry itself then, but it can twist itself now.
    Yea I combed it everyday, but that only took 10 seconds.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was never a beauty salon person either. They could never do my hair the way I wanted . I have for the most part always styled my own hair. I think being able to leave a style in it for 1-2 weeks is a dream come true. Bec for one I have 3 other heads to comb, so this saves me lots and lots of time. Now when I let our hair go and decide to do it all at once, thats another story :unsure: . But it still pays off in the end :rolleyes: ........

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your quote, very funny....... :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by 1ntellect@May 23 2005, 11:05 AM
    Nope, i didn&#39;t go to the hairdresser.
    I washed once a week then, I wash once a week now. Only difference is, my hair could airdry itself then, but it can twist itself now.
    Yea I combed it everyday, but that only took 10 seconds.
    [snapback]857040[/snapback]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast