Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I was born with this problem. My father had it and it seems as if I inherited it. I always hated my hair. While other girls could wear their hair up in ponytails or puffs, I could not. Things never improved when I used relaxers. I had to keep wearing my hair over my ears. I am now natural and I have to deal with the same problem. I cannot wear certain hairstyles and I do get angry at times. I guess this problem added to all the other stressful things in my life when I was a kid that is why I started pulling my hair out. I wear a wig to work and take it off at home. When my kids were born, I prayed that they would not inherit this horrible curse. They did not and I am so happy. I do not know how many of you out there know about it or have it. I have resigned myself to the fact that I would never be able to be completely happy with my hair. Thank goodness for wigs. I have posted a compete description of it and what cures are available. I found this website after a long, extensive search on my hair problem. I have posted the link to the website below since it also discusses various other forms of alopecia ant it even has a forum.

Congenital triangular alopecia </span>
    <span style=\'color:red\'>Congenital triangular alopecia is a patch of hair loss in the temple area of the scalp found mainly in very young children anytime from birth up to 5 years of age. The affected area is probably present from birth, but because hair growth can be sparse in newborns it can be some months or even years before it becomes significantly noticeable. The affected area is often roughly triangular shaped but may be oval in some individuals. The affected skin contains mostly vellus hair follicles.

The cause of congenital triangular alopecia is not known, but its presence is not usually associated with any adverse disease state. Affected individuals are typically entirely healthy. The suggested frequency for this condition in the general population is around 0.11% (Garciahernandez 1995). The hair loss is non-progressive and does not expand beyond these areas. It is a non-inflammatory, non-scarring form of hair loss easily confused with alopecia areata. In one report the condition was incorrectly believed by the parents to be induced by doctors inserting intravenous cannulas into scalp vessels during the neonatal period (Armstrong 1996). The condition is permanent and the affected skin does not change later in life. There is no treatment other than to graft hair follicles to the affected area.

http://www.keratin.com/af/af005.shtml

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. You have definitely come to the right place for support and understanding. Anytime you need to talk, vent, whatever - you know where to turn.

Thanks for the link you posted.

iandi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I was born with this problem. My father had it and it seems as if I inherited it. I always hated my hair. While other girls could wear their hair up in ponytails or puffs, I could not. Things never improved when I used relaxers. I had to keep wearing my hair over my ears. I am now natural and I have to deal with the same problem. I cannot wear certain hairstyles and I do get angry at times. I guess this problem added to all the other stressful things in my life when I was a kid that is why I started pulling my hair out. I wear a wig to work and take it off at home. When my kids were born, I prayed that they would not inherit this horrible curse. They did not and I am so happy. I do not know how many of you out there know about it or have it. I have resigned myself to the fact that I would never be able to be completely happy with my hair. Thank goodness for wigs. I have posted a compete description of it and what cures are available. I found this website after a long, extensive search on my hair problem. I have posted the link to the website below since it also discusses various other forms of alopecia ant it even has a forum.

Congenital triangular alopecia </span>
    <span style="color:red">Congenital triangular alopecia is a patch of hair loss in the temple area of the scalp found mainly in very young children anytime from birth up to 5 years of age. The affected area is probably present from birth, but because hair growth can be sparse in newborns it can be some months or even years before it becomes significantly noticeable. The affected area is often roughly triangular shaped but may be oval in some individuals. The affected skin contains mostly vellus hair follicles.

The cause of congenital triangular alopecia is not known, but its presence is not usually associated with any adverse disease state. Affected individuals are typically entirely healthy. The suggested frequency for this condition in the general population is around 0.11% (Garciahernandez 1995). The hair loss is non-progressive and does not expand beyond these areas. It is a non-inflammatory, non-scarring form of hair loss easily confused with alopecia areata. In one report the condition was incorrectly believed by the parents to be induced by doctors inserting intravenous cannulas into scalp vessels during the neonatal period (Armstrong 1996). The condition is permanent and the affected skin does not change later in life. There is no treatment other than to graft hair follicles to the affected area.

http://www.keratin.com/af/af005.shtml
    [/b]

Well just an update, I have since had no one on this website post a reply to my post who is familiar with my problem. I am grateful for the Iandi&#39;s post though, she sounds like a very kind person. As you probably know from another post on this forum on hair pulling, I pull out my hair as well. I did post all about it on that post, I guess the stress of this condition does not help, together with some other major problems I have right now. I have been wearing a wig fulltime now, since my hair is breaking off a lot and so it is not long enough to cover my temples and my pulling it out is not helping. I sport a TWA, but will not wear it outside it will expose my temple area.

My regular hairdresser who trims my hair has moved to another State. The new hairdresser I decided to visit to trim my hair asked me so many loud questions about my temples with other customers there I felt so embarrassed. She kept saying in a loud voice "I never see anything like this, I know when girls have too tight braids the hairline goes a little, but this is the strangest thing. You born that way? Oh Lord, girl I am sorry for you". I do not think I will go to another hair dresser in a long time. I will try trimming my hair myself.

I am looking foward to summer when my head does not feel so hot with the wigs on and I can wear lots of scarves on weekends. I know I should not be discussing wigs on this site, I hope Dee will forgive me mentioning them, but in my case they are a choice of last resort. I keep to one style, very short and thats it. When I get home, I take it off and keep it off on the weekends, since it is winter I wear knit hats. Okay enough of my pity party, I know there are ladies here with much more problems. Take care of yourselves and be blessed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it possible to have congenital triangular alopecia in the center of your scalp?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

is it possible to have congenital triangular alopecia in the center of your scalp?
    [/b]
    I do not think so dear, but I could be wrong, you are welcome to check out the link on my earlier post and there is lots of information there on different types of hair loss. They also hav a forum and if you asked, the guy who runs the forum is an expert in hair loss and he would be able to answer your question.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<_< Though I seem to be the only one with this problem , I still think I will keep my post updated for anyone who is remotely interested. Okay, I cut all my hair off last week, did it myself, it is a Caesar cut, very low. I figure this way I have nothing to pull, and maybe when I have worked through all the present stress I might grow it back. I know Dee does not like anyone to mention the W word, but I still use them to go out of the house, and I am also trying to learn to use wraps since summer is coming and it gets pretty hot when you have to wear a W. Okay this is all for now guys. :blush:

Kalia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LadyEve may you daily become optimistic about your hair. I too suffer from alopecia all over the crown of my head. My hair is much thicker in the back but the crown is thin. I am grateful to ne natural for it has helped me tremendously. I used to wear scarves daily for I am a Muslim. I recently stopped covering and tomorrow will be my first day at work natural. I will just walk in proud. I am sure others will say oh your hair is so thin etc. It does hurt but I will be fine

When we as women have hair problems I really think there is a lack of support from those who have heads full of hair. I have been embarassed a few times at beauty salons. I found it so humiliating when my bald spot was exposed for others to see. I now realize that with proper diet and exercise my hair does do better. Have you done extensive researc on your problem? I am sure that there are groups on the internet of women going through the same thing. Seek Support Stay Encouraged. Do Not Be Ashamed. Love your head of hair no matter how much is there. That is my theory now
    "Look at those who have less than you and never look at those who have more than you,
    this will ensure that you will not belittle the favours of God"
    (Sahih Muslim)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i came here after searching through tons of internet information - there are some alopecia specific bulletin boards out there but i&#39;m black and i feel so much more comfortable discussing this with my women that have hair like mine. i&#39;m glad and grateful that NP created a section just for us - i&#39;m equally grateful that people like you and so many others decided to share this part of themselves with the world.

from my limited experience with alopecia, it&#39;s a condition that sooooo many women have had to deal with and i&#39;d hope that talking about it would increase every humanbeings&#39; sensitivity to the condition.

i never imagined i&#39;d be living with alopecia, never would have dreamed it would happen to me but because of women like you, i don&#39;t feel alone anymore. Because of women like you, I have strength to accept and come to grips with it and, if worse comes to worse, i can keep it moving and live my life.

please keep updating (as i will) - you never know who may need to read your words.

Do Not Be Ashamed. Love your head of hair no matter how much is there. That is my theory now
    [/b]
    i LOVE this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much ladies for your kind words of encouragement. Since I have cut my hair, I have not been pulling it out, at least that is one good bit of good news. I will let you folks know how I manage as I go along. I do appreciate your support and please know that I too support all of you in your daily struggles even though you might not get a post from me.