User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    zambx Guest

It's been almost 2 weeks since I BC'd and in 13 short days I dunnn heard it all. Mostly positive comments and compliments but of course there are the occasional dissenting and disparaging remarks. Generally anyone who leads with "why did you cut it?", follows with something negative. Thing is i've found that quite frankly all of a suddent I could care less what those people think and to me it's just an opinion. When I was transitioning I was really worried about the response I would get when I finally BC'd but all of a sudden I just think "I didn't really ask you all that, and besides, you're entitled to your own wrong opinion" :P
    My question for other nappturals, especially, post BC- is this just a protective mindset that you settle into inevitably, coz I'm not sure where my sudden indifference came from. (other than the fact that I realize so long as I like my hair, it doesn't really matter).

ps- another thing I've noticed since BCing is, a very different type of guy tries to step to you when you're not a permie anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed it eliminates a lot of the "no, really-though, why-are-you-talking-to-me" types. Anyone else find this? My DH says it's b/c being napptural gives women a new confidence and only someone who can match that will try to talk to you. :dunno: What y'all think?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by zambx@Jul 5 2005, 08:18 PM

ps- another thing I've noticed since BCing is, a very different type of guy tries to step to you when you're not a permie anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed it eliminates a lot of the "no, really-though, why-are-you-talking-to-me" types. Anyone else find this? My DH says it's b/c being napptural gives women a new confidence and only someone who can match that will try to talk to you. :dunno: What y'all think?
    [snapback]912946[/snapback]
    Very trueE! I get less hassle in the street than when I had braids: no more idiots with their awful, awful lines! The other thing I've noticed is that I dont care what people think. I know my hair is neat and tidy and I don't go looking for validation from anybody.

[SIZE=2]~~~formerly known as : «:::MISSTHANG:::»[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last chemical fire cream was in May '05, so i'm in the earliest stages of transitioning. I have asked about 3 of my black girlfriends to consider coming on this journey with me. The negative replies came so fast that I could not help thinking that these girls did not even want to entertain the thought that they had a different kind of hair under the permed one. Anyway, its all good 'cos I'm gonna set a trend. With the help of all the women on this site, I am going to discover my hair and I am already loving it. Then at least they will see that what's growing form their scalps is the BEST HAIR IN THE WHOLE WORLD!

LOVING BEING NAPPY!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always gotten support from my family. I've BC three times now, and it's been nothing but love all around. But, my husband does like when it grows out long enough to do a wet shake 'n' go.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

- T. E. Lawrence (1888 - 1935)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[snapback]912946[/snapback]
    [/quote]

The day after I BCed I went to the Y to work out with my sister (who is also a nappy). I noticed this fine brotha with locs smiling at us. When I had a perm, a guy like that wouldn't have looked at me twice. I also met my husband 2 weeks after I chopped. So I guess you could say that being nappy is a good 'weeder' for waste-of-time men. Most men I have met/conversated with since I have been natural have been men with some sense...
    God Bless!

chaybird001 Guest

I totally agree with you, I did my big chop on July 3, 2005. Today was the first time everyone at the college I attend seen my change. As I walked outside to catch the bus to school, weird things started to run through my mind, like what if someone says something negative to me, or what if the guys who liked me at first stop liking me. My heart beat fast as I walked in the school building and I stop for a moment. I started to think about what my friend, which is a guy mention to me. If a guy stops liking you because of your hair, then the guy never liked you in the first place. (Only your looks) I believe hair is only hair; so many people take pride in having straight hair and worry what others think. Today I realize, people are going to have their opinions about you regardless, but as long as you believe you’re sexy and cute. (Your appearance will show that) I know now that I have short hair, many guys who liked me are not interested anymore, but it only makes me happy, because I want a man to like me for me, not my hair or looks. I’m happy I found this site and I look forward to my new journey with my natural hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, because back when I was foolish and actually wanted a perm people would always say "Get a perm " and I just now have realized in a certain way my natural hair was being opressed. But I WAS in a ghetto faboulus part of town whenever that happened, so that makes sense. And you know what the day I got that first perm I had a part if me that severly missed my puff, and then after I got the perm the very same people who told me to get it were saying I should&#39;nt have. Make you think huh? :icon_eek13: *Spphht* shoulda listened to that other hair dresser..... <_<

But anyways I am on the road to nappieness anyhow. I&#39;m falling in love with this puffy stuff all over again. :wub:

[url="http://www.xanga.com/CrazyLikeMyDaddy/"]My personal/occasional hair journal[/url]
    [url="http://whatsnew.fotki.com/MotherLand/"]My old hair journal[/url]
    [url="http://myspace.com/crazylikemydaddy/"]THE MYSPACE[/url]
    [img]http://i12.tinypic.com/2exm4d0.png[/img]