Thread: Wisdom Teeth

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to add that my regular dentist did the top two under local anesthesia. That was...let's just say, I'm glad it's over. There wasn't any pain during the procedure, but there was a lot of pulling and tugging before the teeth finally came out.

The bottom teeth were connected to my jaw in such a way that my dentist didn't feel comfortable taking them out, so I went to an oral surgeon. He used the gas first, I think just to calm me down, and then put me under completely. God willing, I'll never have to have another tooth pulled, but if I do I want the IV.

Also, stock up on soft foods. I basically lived on mashed potatoes and apple sauce. Don't suck anything. Don't even spit too hard for a couple of days. (Your dentist should give you an aftercare sheet that details all of that.)

I didn't have much swelling. I got a prescription for prednisone to take care of that with the bottom two. With the top, I used ice bags (or rather bags of frozen veggies), and that helped some, too.

I had the procedures done on Friday mornings and was back at work on the following Monday. Some people were surprised by that, but I was feeling fine and still had a lot of pain meds left over just in case.
    Last edited by skittles04; 03-07-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for talking to me, ladies! If anyone else is lurking who hasn't had their wisdom teeth out, I figure this information can only be helpful.

Do it all at once. That recovery, especially for an extraction, isn't something you want to go through multiple times.
    That's what I figured. I've had two different people tell me to get only 1 or 2 done at a time. I don't know what my recovery will be like. But I figure if I'm going to get my teeth taken care of, I'd rather be miserable once than 2-4 times.

And I've been making a food list.
    Idk if you are having them pulled or extracted
    What is the difference? I will be going to see a surgeon and not a regular dentist. Is "pulling" a simple procedure that can be done by a dentist, vs an "extraction" or surgery?
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extraction is when they have to open up the gums and remove the teeth. Mine had not grown in but xrays showed that there wasn't enough room for them and that they'd start to push my other teeth out of place. I certainly didn't want that pain and then to deal with braces. So you're going to see a oral surgeon for that. I think when they are pulled they've already pushed through the gums and a dentist can do that procedure.
    Last edited by bhop13; 03-07-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skittles04 View Post
    I wanted to add that my regular dentist did the top two under local anesthesia. That was...let's just say, I'm glad it's over. There wasn't any pain during the procedure, but there was a lot of pulling and tugging before the teeth finally came out.
    This was me. I got my last 3 pulled on the same day while I was in my first year of grad school, I barely had time, but had to do it due to being in too much pain. Just local anaesthetics because I had to go RIGHT back to lab, and it didnt hurt but it felt weird to feeling him tugging and yanking each tooth out of the socket. I brought music with me so I couldnt hear his instruments (was bad enough I was awake).
    Followed the aftercare directions and was ok. The only bad spot was I had all my sockets stuffed to absorb blood when I headed back to school. I was pretty numb and didnt realize and started to drool blood, and one of my classmates had to tell me (it was more "Oh my God, are you okay??) Outside of that, no biggie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    Extraction is when they have to open up the gums and remove the teeth. Mine had not grown in but xrays showed that there wasn't enough room for them and that they'd start to push my other teeth out of place. I certainly didn't want that pain and then to deal with braces. So you're going to see a oral surgeon for that. I think when they are pulled they've already pushed through the gums and a dentist can do that procedure.
    Actually, all of my teeth have grown beyond the gumline. But there have been various issues with a couple of them, so I think that's why I'm seeing a surgeon.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    Actually, all of my teeth have grown beyond the gumline. But there have been various issues with a couple of them, so I think that's why I'm seeing a surgeon.

I need to correct this post. Although I can see the tops of my lower back 2 wisdom teeth, they are still covered by gum tissue at the back and along their inner sides. So technically, I suppose they're still impacted.

In the meantime I'm going to do my best not to read any more via Google about folks' surgery experiences. Most of what people post out there is negative. I find it hard not to worry about random mishaps.
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-signing the suggestions to get them all out at once. I did it about 5 years ago. I was sedated, but remember going in and out during the procedure. I had lots of bleeding and swelling, and one dry socket, so my recovery was a bit prolonged, but I'm still glad I did them all at once. I got it done on a Friday before a three day weekend, and went back to work on that Tuesday with the chipmunk face. It was about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks before I could fully open my mouth without pain again.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post

I need to correct this post. Although I can see the tops of my lower back 2 wisdom teeth, they are still covered by gum tissue at the back and along their inner sides. So technically, I suppose they're still impacted.

In the meantime I'm going to do my best not to read any more via Google about folks' surgery experiences. Most of what people post out there is negative. I find it hard not to worry about random mishaps.
    Yeah, you know folks only have something to say when they're upset, lol. Other than a dry socket and a rash from having the heat compress on my face (sensitive skin) everything was fine.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    Yeah, you know folks only have something to say when they're upset, lol. Other than a dry socket and a rash from having the heat compress on my face (sensitive skin) everything was fine.
    I'm thinking about writing something to combat all the nonsense I read.

Thanks, everyone, for your stories and advice!

My teeth have been out since yesterday. I miss real food.
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wisdom Teeth

Quote Originally Posted by terr View Post
    Found out at my last dentist visit that it's time to get my wisdom teeth extracted. Two are impacted and two are half-way in but there's not enough room for all four. I'm reeeal nervous about it, but my appointment is already set.

Who else has had their wisdom teeth pulled? How was it?
    Don't they eventually grow in?...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234