Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the 'heat' (pun intended) of all these burning the hair straight/blow-drying threads popping up, thought I'd add my own cautionary tale.

I am pretty new to this site and before I found Nappturality, I had this mindset that my natural coarse hair had to be tamed into submission with blow-drying, but not burning the hair straight , oh no, because that would damage my hair :rolleyes: and I didn't want that...

So every week, or every time I took down my extensions, I'd heat up that blow-dryer to the *hell* setting, saturate my hair with moisturiser and fry my hair, of course, it would be just a teeny-tiny :rolleyes: bit brittle but that didn't matter because I was going to protect it under those extensions. HELLO - THE DAMAGE HAD ALREADY BEEN DONE!

So, if you want to blow-dry your hair regularly, remember what will happen:

1. You will LOSE YOUR NAPS.

Yes you read that correctly, you will L O S E them! Now, I used to think I didn’t have naps, that I just had course afro hair that was a bit wiry on a bad day. Then I found NP and decided to give up the heat and learn to be kind to my hair result, softer, coilier hair. Granted, I'm a 4-a but there is a bit of a kink in there. But I digress

About a week ago, I was looking in the mirror with my hair all combed out and I notices that while the roots were nice and healthy, the ends were limp and wiry. Then it dawned on me: it was heat damage. This made even more sense because I had a couple of patches in the middle with short stubby hair and some limp bits hanging out - and I know I hadn't taken scissors to any patches in my hair. Now I realised the truth, I'd been too blow-dryer-happy on my hair.

2. your hair will break and split:

In addition to the limp ends, I had the most a atrocious breaking, with split ends going all the way up the shaft. Some split ends had splits; some splits even began right in the middle of the hair shaft! So when I pulled out a clump of hair to gauge the length of the healthy hair, I had nearly two inches of breaking splitting ends!

So much for protecting the hair while blow-drying! I thought if I put enough moisture on my hair it would protect it. Think about it: when you put oil on food and apply heat to that food, does the oil protect the food? No, the oil helps it to fry!

3. You will lose length
    It's no biggie if you're not going for length but I was. The hair on my longest side was reaching then end of my neck, now with all the trimming and levelling a rocking and almost gown-out TWA. So much for getting a BAA by the end of the year! Still you live and learn, and I’m glad I learnt my lesson sooner rather than later.

So please remember, blow-drying can be just as damaging as burning the hair straight and the damage can be irreparable, so look after your God-given naps.
    [SIZE=2]~~~formerly known as : «:::MISSTHANG:::»[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice informative post .

Locs 2nd Set: April 3rd 2012 - Yup they're back

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post.

ETA. I just read on another post, I believe it was Pookeylou. Who stated that once something is burnt then you can't undo the damage. People refuse to listen. :dunno: If you don't want to hear the truth then don't ask. :doh Also I notice alot of folks lately get all ticked off at people suggesting that you may need to cut those ends off. Well truth is you are going to have to cut or your hair just fall off eventually, so get over it or don't ask!

I know I have showed this picture before but this picture shows living proof of what heat can do to the hair. I had do a chop as a result of the constant blowing drying

Natural since 1998.
    Member on Nappturality since 2003
    Proud NOTM May 2005

http://www.facebook.com/jazitones?ref=name

carmenjones Guest

Very informative post.

I've noticed the rash of "Oh lawd I straightened my hair and now it won't revert back!" threads lately and it has definitely put the fear of God in me about heat. :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess i can relate my story too.

In 2002 i had to go on a very important interview to have my job.

2002, was 1 year after my Big chop. I thought about what i could do with my natural hair but it was too long to be worn in a TWA , too short to be put into a bun.
    So because my friend had bought her ceramic flat flaming hot tool of hair torture a few weeks before i decided to borrow it so that my hair could be a liitle bit longer to wear a bun.
    I still remember the smell of burnt hair... it was awful, i had the feeling that i was killing my hair but i knew everybody said that after a shampoo i would have my naps back.
    So i managed to have this little bun after hours in front of the mirror burning my hair. Even my boyfriend couldn't stand the smell .

The day after my interview i decided to do a shampoo. I was convinced that i would have found my napps right away!
    I was wrong

My hair was not bone straight but it was weird , a part of it was straight and the rest was a bit nappy. I was scared !! What have i done to my hair???.
    I tried to twist it it was just awful with spilt ends!

The day after, i did another shampoo. My hair was still like a mess!
    So after a week with this ugly hair i decided to cut off a few inches and move on.
    This day i knew that i would never do that again
    It was a very bad experience.
    And with all those threads about heat damage i know for sure that heat is harfmul!
    After 8 years of locks , back to loose hair!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Post!
    "A true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. A true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purified light."
    Taken from Avatar: The Last Airbender, the series.

Proud CNA and Nursing Student :))

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this one too because I think some people mistakenly think that blow dryers won't do damage.

Last r.elaxer: Feb. 2001
    Big Chop: March 15, 2002

Napptural for life!

Hair Album-Last Updated June 28, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the warning. I always appreciate the heads up from personal experience!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote:
    So much for protecting the hair while blow-drying! I thought if I put enough moisture on my hair it would protect it. Think about it: when you put oil on food and apply heat to that food, does the oil protect the food? No, the oil helps it to fry!

I was LOL b/c this analogy is so true!!! When you really think about it.

Something similar happened to me a year and a half ago. I was using heat (electric straightening comb) to stretch my fro out. And I had the same reasoning that everyone has. Just a little heat on low to medium and everthing will be ok. Granted at first it was alright the fro looked cute but time after time of of even medium heat abuse and I mean addictive abuse and resulted in the back of my hair falling all out.

Since then no heat for me. I even try to tell certain other naturals I know no heat, no heat, no heat.

I think the more testimonials that are posted on heat warnings the better

But most often people don't listen and have to learn for themselves.
    THE NAP IS WHERE IT'S AT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I burned my hair out by constantly blowdrying it ON top of dyed hair.... So I chopped my dead red off and went w/ my natural color too.... if God intended me to have Honey Blond Hair he would have given it to me... *s*..... I've probably blowdryed once (hated it!) since taking out mr braids in Feb/Mar....
    Hair eternal smokin' bush.... outta control forest fire approachin' your city...shamelessly in touch with the deep-grown roots of the fertile land called scalp..Hair she be my first love. Jennifer McLune

LGBN BLOGGER
    Elvis is a Rock Star. The mind of a Black 7 year old boy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast