Because I have been notoriously bad about checking the Transitioners forum, I decided to post answers to the questions that seem to pop up the most. If you I've missed a question or you would like to add an additional suggestion/comment, then by all means please do.

How often can I wash my hair?
As often as you would like. Sometimes I washed my hair every day. Sometimes it was once a week. It all depended on my mood and how my hair was reacting. Once I discovered no-pooing, my hair loved it so I washed every day.

Why is my hair shedding? Is this normal?
Being that this question appears on this list, I hope that you realize that you are not alone. We all shedded while transitioning. Some more than others. Personally, I had very little shedding. As true as it is today as it was while I was transitioning, a good trim is an excellent way to prevent shedding. I'm not sure that I understand why this helps (it doesn't follow logic) but it works wonders. I think that it has a lot to do (at least it does for me now) on preventing rough ends from catching on to things.

Another cause of shedding and breakage is how you are handling your hair. Be gentle with it. Detangle in the shower. Use wide tooth combs. Finger comb it.

What products can I use? Can I use things that I used on my relaxed hair?
You can use any products that you want. Most of use went through many products phases (try everything, try everything natural, try everything by Carol's Daughter, mix everything with shea butter, try everything that says anti-frizz, etc). The most important thing to do is to listen to your hair.

I would highly recommend reading the article that lets you know which products to avoid (see NP article archive). This is how I select my products. I read the article and I know what I want to avoid sulfates, petroleum, mineral oil, dyes, perfumes, etc. I also read Curly Girl (book by Lorraine Massey) to know what products I wanted to look for. They fall under the categories of humectants, proteins, moisturizers and one more that I can't remember right now. Humectants draw mosture from the air and include Glycerin. Proteins add strength and too much can be a bad thing. Examples of good moisterizers are aloe vera and shea butter.

What products should I use to moisturize?
Ask your hair. Do you wish that your hair would look more like it did when it's wet. Chances are that your hair needs moisture not oil. What's the difference? Oil is for nutrients, water is for moisture. Therefore I use products high in moisture content, including humectants.

What styles can I wear? How do I deal with the two textures?
Most people will suggest wearing styles that disguise the two textures. That includes twists, twist-outs, rollers sets, braids, braid outs, Bantu/chi-chi knots, wet sets, straw sets, etc. Don't forget about the basic ponytail, just make sure that it isn't too tight.

How long should I transition?
Some people transition for 5 minutes and others for a year or more. I transitioned for one year. If you decide to go for a long transition, I would recommend lots and of patience and diligence in making sure that you trim your ends more often. I know that a lot of people suggest about an inch a month.

Can I transition with braids? Can I transition by burning the hair straight my hair?
Braids and burning the hair straight, although each having their own issue, present another problem. They both prolong how the process of learning to work with your natural texture.

Braids - If you are going to wear them, make sure that they are not too tight. Also, the fake hair may be robbing your hair of it's natural oils.

burning the hair straight - burning the hair straight can actually cause damage to your hair. Think about it. When you burn your hair from burning the hair straight, it's burnt, no amount of conditioning is going to bring it back.

How often should I trim my hair?
I would recommend at least once a month while transitioning.

Should I go to a professional?
One of the most important parts of transitioning is learning to work with your own hair. Most of us don't go to professionals. My take on it is that no matter how much experience they have in doing hair, I still have more experience at doing my own hair. unless it is a style that I can't achieve on my own, I do it myself. I know what tools and products my hair responds best to. Even when I go to a professional, I bring my own things.

What is Scab hair?
Scab hair usually refers to damaged hair just below the scalp when you are getting a chemical fire cream. In other words it is the very first bit of new growth right after your last chemical fire cream.

Why is my scalp itching?
It could be many things. Too many products, the wrong products, your scalp adjusting to the new routine or being exposed to the elements. You may need to try new products, especially your shampoo, or try an apple cider vinegar rinse to get rid of product build up. A little oil may also help.

What is no-poo/condish wash?
Using conditioner only when washing your hair. Why? Shampoo is for the scalp and conditioner is for your hair. Shampoo was developed to fight hard water. A good analogy (from Curly girl) is that washing your hair in shampoo is like washing a delicate wool sweater in a harsh soap. No matter how much you rinse, you never get it all out. Conditioners have enough cleansing agents to get your hair clean. Not convinced or this method doesn't work for you, I would suggest a sulfate free shampoo (Creme of Nature) or conditioning shampoo (Burt's bees Shampoo bar).

I'll be back to fill in any gaps that I missed.