Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone,

I need help on a project I have to do. I was asked to collect portraits of underated women who do not fit the classic idea of beauty. Can you'll post some names. Thanks!

vnatural is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India Arie, Jill Scott, Vanessa Williams from the soul food series,Eryka Badu, Lauryn Hill just to name a few.
    BLAKPHOENIX

Nappy hair is pelo bueno! Ya heard!

mahsoul1 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oluchi
    Agbani------both are Nigerian models

Aungenue Ellis --dont know if Im spelling her name right but she was in Ray and Disappearing Acts.

Wait... by classic, do you mean in terms of european standards?

Other classics according to my own definition:

Angela Basset----the bone structure is phenomenal
    Nona Gaye
    Joi Lee---Spike's sister
    Jill Marie Jones
    "I am what time, circumstance, history, have made of me, certainly, but I am also, much more than that. So are we all"
    ~James A. Baldwin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mahsoul,

Yes, I mean classic as in european standards/american. Some I would say is Halle Berry, Alicia Keys,etc.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should set out some criteria for what you mean by "underrated." Do you mean that they don't receive media attention or that your everage joe-on-the-street wouldn't cite one of these women off the top of their heads? Your project will be better if you tighten up your definitions of the terms that you're using. For example, would Alex Wek be considered "underrated" given that she's a supermodel and the face of Clinique Happy? Also, be very careful when you talk about "classic" ideas of beauty. Do you mean Caucasian features? Remember that, in their time, Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge were also considered "classic" beauties.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portae,

Even though Alek Wek is the face of Clinique, Mac, etc., she is still underrated in that she is not widely publized . How many covers have you seen her on . Occasionaly she is on some buildboard, but compared to some she still does not rank.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portae,

Even though Alek Wek is the face of Clinique, Mac, etc., she is still underrated in that she is not widely publized . How many covers have you seen her on . Occasionaly she is on some buildboard, but compared to some she still does not rank.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puppy,
    I understand your point. I was only suggesting that you tighten up your definitions and criteria to make your project as good as it can be. You don't have to convince me that she may be underrated, but you may have to convince your teacher (assuming this is for school) why an international supermodel with a lucrative deal with Clinique is defined as "underrated." By the way, I have seen Alek on covers, albeit foreign magazines. Again, these are just suggestions to help you refine your ideas.

queenamina Guest

I would do pieces on the women in my community, my family. Do everyday things, those beautiful still life photos, children sittin on the stoops. The many different hues and shapes, really underrated. I'm not sure if you can use that, yaknow if you have to use famous women. Take nice black and white photos, something like that. I do agree with the other sistas, Alek, etc.

QueenAmina