Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have colored your locs?

i did a search on this board and the archive board & didn't get the answers i was looking for, so i decided to ask y'all. my loctitian told me i need to wait until my hair locs before i color my hair & i think i am going to actually listen to her *sigh* and wait, but it's killing me! so while my m ind is made up to wait - i AM curious as to what you guys did...just interested...

1. WHEN DID YOU COLOR THEM? (how many months into loc'ing?)

2. What type of effect did it have on your hair? (did it dry your hair out, tighten it up, damage it?)

3. What type of color did you use?

4. How did you decide (if you did decide to wait) when to actually color your locs?

THANKS Y'ALL!!!

http://static.flickr.com/30/97152425_cadcb41786_m.jpg
    what happened to the good ole days?</span>
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies.../party0035.gif

mi pelo, mi pelo, mi pelo!!!

fotki pw: <span style="color:#3366FF">stankonia

chocoleteone Guest

I have been locking for three month&#39;s and I colored my hair using peroxide. Anytime you color your hair it dries your hair out so that&#39;s why you need to make sure to use a conditioning hampoo afterwords. I also keep it moisturized in between shampoo&#39;s. I don&#39;t have any damage at all. I also colored my husbands first set of loc&#39;s with regular hair dye( miss clairol 5 year&#39;s ago). He was only a few month&#39;s into his loc journey at the time. It didn&#39;t seem to damage his hair either.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by naturalme22@Aug 1 2005, 01:18 AM

i did a search on this board and the archive board & didn&#39;t get the answers i was looking for, so i decided to ask y&#39;all. my loctitian told me i need to wait until my hair locs before i color my hair & i think i am going to actually listen to her *sigh* and wait, but it&#39;s killing me! so while my m ind is made up to wait - i AM curious as to what you guys did...just interested...

1. WHEN DID YOU COLOR THEM? (how many months into loc&#39;ing?)
    <span style=\'color:blue\'>*I colored my hair b4 locing and i just colored at 8mths of locing

2. What type of effect did it have on your hair? (did it dry your hair out, tighten it up, damage it?)
    <span style=\'color:blue\'>I think all permanent colors will have some type of drying effect, but i will condition, condition, mosturize, mosturize, and my locs do feel alittle tighter than before. But i just colored last week so dunno if my answers count lol

I used permanent hair color, Texture and Tones bc i love the conditioner that comes with it, and its less drying on my hair,

4. How did you decide (if you did decide to wait) when to actually color your locs?
    I waited till i felt my locs wouldnt unravel with the conditioner and wouldnt unravel with the vigorus shampooing i had to do.
    Good luck!

THANKS Y&#39;ALL!!!
    </span></span>

[snapback]945071[/snapback]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Vonshair!!!

i will just listen to my great loc sensei & and wait... but thanks for answering my questions!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by naturalme22@Aug 1 2005, 01:18 AM

i did a search on this board and the archive board & didn&#39;t get the answers i was looking for, so i decided to ask y&#39;all. my loctitian told me i need to wait until my hair locs before i color my hair & i think i am going to actually listen to her *sigh* and wait, but it&#39;s killing me! so while my m ind is made up to wait - i AM curious as to what you guys did...just interested...

i colored 3 months into locing.

i actually wanted to color to harden my hair a little. it didn&#39;t happen. no apparent damage.

i used texture & tones

doesn&#39;t apply to me

THANKS Y&#39;ALL!!!

locs:12/12/02-9/9/2006, reborn 9/20/07

blog:aquababie&#39;s world
    1st locs
    2nd locs

Aquababie Handmade....Crafted from my hands to yours!
    aqua on etsy

NP Approval code 775

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Jazzing and Beautiful Collection semi-permanent rinses about 6 months after locking and did this every 2-3 months for 18 months. I stopped coloring for 4 years and just colored my locs (almost black) with permanent coloring in February.

Semi-permanent doesn&#39;t do anything since it is just a temporary coating. The problem is that it washes out after 5-6 shampoos and that meant that the color was gone in 2-3 weeks.

Darkest Brown

There were a couple of reasons I had for coloring. I wanted a uniform color and also wanted to stop picking at my locs for imbedded lint.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by naturalme22@Aug 1 2005, 02:18 AM

I colored mine at the 2 year mark (I think)

I didn&#39;t notice any difference to texture or overall condition of my locs.

I used ColorSpa Semi-permanent Color in Ebony. It&#39;s supposed to last for 28 shampoos. I still haven&#39;t had to recolor them and it&#39;s been a while.

My locs were lightened by the sun, and it made them look dry and dull. The color added a bit of depth. Besides, I&#39;m a black-haired gal!

THANKS Y&#39;ALL!!!

rastadawta Guest

Â Â
    I colored my hair when after six years of locking

Since I have soft hair, it did harden a bitt but i always deep condition whenever.

i used dark and lovely, brown shade first, then after a year, I re-collred them black and used textures and tones.

I wanted to wait a while since i was losing hair at my right temple area but I do plan on re-coloring it brown again later on this year.

LelaDada Guest

I colored my hair while in the first 3 months of locing. I am in the 8th month now.

My hair is pretty soft and straight, it gave it a little more hardness and gave me little curls at the ends of my locs. ( They were always there but never were hard enough to stay. Now they do.)

Textures and tones

I asked around, and most women said they colored whenever they wanted too. Most said they did it in the beginning because it made them feel a little better about the "almost locked but kinda messy stage".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey LelaDada, I KNOW YOU!!! i am going to PM you!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast