Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I have been concerned over washing for a while and have made a few posts in a couple of forums, recently after much confusion as a starter and newbie to locking I decided to wash. Washing my hair felt like someone took a cap off of my head! and my hair actually feels like its my hair and not a wig that I've been carrying around. My advice now to confused newcomers to the the game is, if your not sure what to do,...research. Its your hair, take some time to make it happy. secondly, though you may go and rely on a doctor for an ailment in your body... remember that not every salon professional is a doctor....many just wanna get paid. Sure not washing your hair will make your hair lock faster....but your hair should lock upon itself it is not supposed to lock upon dirt. Wash your hair when it is dirty, your scalp has pores that needs to breathe too... this promotes hair growth. Its funny even though I knew all this I still wanted to listen to what my stylist had to say about not washing. Guys trust me if you know what its like when a person stands in front of you with gunk in their hair then imagine what the person behind you is thinking.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed we had more newbies on the forum who might appreciate this thread from the NP archives ) so bump!
    Thank you Pank Fairy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my second set of locs, and I ended up giving my hair a gentle wash after three weeks. I went for considerably longer the first time, but I couldn't take it this time.

After the comb coils were put in and paid for, the woman who'd done my hair advised me not to get moisture on my hair... now the first time that I went to a loctician, she advised not getting my hair wet for at least six weeks. This time, this woman was trying to get me to come in for the next two and a half to three months, so that she could wash my hair herself, and re- twist whatever had come undone. After a short, awkward silence ( in which my husband shot me a horrified glance ), I asked her again just how long I should wait. She gave me the same answer, and urged me to book an appointment in two weeks... " the hair needs training... ", etc. I did not ask her a third time ( seeing as how she was not going to tell me, apparently ), I just smiled, thanked her and left with my family.

I wash my hair, shake it dry, blot it, apply spray and go about my day. My hair looks fine. I'm not sure how much faster it will lock because of what I am doing now.

I really hope that I helped.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im about 9 weeks in. I wash and retwist my hair every two weeks. I don't do a lot of manipulation and none of my tsts arre coming loose. Only the back half of my head is starting to loc.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im 2.5 months in now and i was going through the same thing waiting and wondering if i could wash my hair , after my 2nd retwist in my 2nd month i had a light wash and it felt great ,my hair lady says i should wash every other month but i like the idea of washing every month

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if anyone else said this but, STOCKING CAP. Wash through the stocking cap and your locs will be fine.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use a stocking cap, or band and braid or use a soapy flannel but whatever method please if your hair is dirty wash it! This 'do not wash for weeks/month on end' advice is based on old myths. Dirty hair does not loc faster it just gets dirtier.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I washed mines the 2nd day I started them, I didnt really care about having neat part and I cant stand having gel products in my hair. I'm on my third set of locs and I maintain them myself. At first most unraveled, but my parts were still intact. I never really listened to the "loc experts". I've been washing every two days ever since. Advice, wash whenever you like, just have a mirror and gel when you do.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for clarifying this. could someone tell me about beeswax? my stylist told me to use it, a friend who has been locked for a long time(10+ years) told me to stay away from it. i have been using a loc gel by taliah waajid. this seems to work ok. my baby locs are only two weeks old but i noticed some in the back of my head are coming undone

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beeswax is a recipe for buildup, its not the best thing for locs.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast