User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    babyraider04 Guest

I've decided to loc my hair and it's been two weeks. My head is itching like crazy and very, very dirty. My stylist told me to stay away from moisture but I'm about to go crazy not washing my hair. How on earth do I wash my hair w/o washing it??? :unsure: :dunno: Help me!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's my opinion that when your head itches it's god's way of telling you to wash your head! lol. there's been a lot of topics on this, i know, but my opinion? wash your head. when i was first locking i would put a stocking cap (nylon) over my head and just rinse water over the "cap". but then i got more daring and would squeeze a little bit of shampoo in my hand lather it up in my hand and squeeze it through my locs, making sure i didn't scratch my hair - just massage it through with my finger tips. i would rinse ALOT when i was first starting and then squeeze the water out of my locs with a tshirt really gently and go about my business.

i would be interested in what your stylist says though. what does SHE (or he) suggest you do when your hair gets dirty and you need to wash? there is only so much "tap tap tapping" you can do before you finally have to dig in and just ITCH!

take care - you'll be okay and this too shall pass.

kari

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what i've read, clean hair locks faster than dirty hair because the oils, residue, and build-up on dirty hair slows the locking process.

maybe you might want to research it a bit more so you can decide what's best for your hair instead of your stylist. but almost every article i've read says that not washing locs early on is a myth and isn't necessary.
    We have all established that our hair is different....At the end of the day we pride ourselves as being NAPPY! [b]Let this quest for right and wrong go[/b] - RoseBurnt

[url="http://public.fotki.com/melanizm13"]UPDATES[/url]...12/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THis is my same problem I started locking about a month ago and was told by my stylist that I shouldn't wash my hair yet...But my hair is way NAPPY and I don't think I need this much buildup and itching to lock my hair... I'm in the same ditch trying to figure out what to do ...I really want to wash I don't think its decent or good hygiene not to...I mean if we are to be natural and to prove to other people that we are proud of our naps it has to look good and be clean... I wish more replies would come up on this topic...so far I've been getting advice on what to put in my hair but not many stylist like to talk about the build ups and dirt that will accrue and eventually break your hair off.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm by no means an expert, I only have baby locs myself, but if my hair is that dirty and with that much buildup, I'd have no choice but to wash it. I've only had my locs in a week and already had to retwist some of mine 'cause of the humidity that made some of them unravel.
    I just want you to recognize me in the temple, you can't hurt me I found peace within myself--Michael Jackson (RIP)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have baby locs for two weeks now and I have been washing since week one. You are only asking for build up to be caked up into your locs in the long run when you don't. Some of my unraveled in the top and in the bad and I just retwisted and kept trucking. I rinse everyday as well so they are starting to tighten up a bit. Water helps it doesn't hurt.

mochalocks Guest

Been locking for two months now,and I was told not to wash my hair for a while.. but I couldn't take it and I wash my hair, one month after. Just make sure, you take your time with them-remember they are still babies.. don't scrub too hard.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locticians who tell people not to wash their hair are part of the "old-school" who believe that goop (natural and added) helps hair to lock. Locs will happen without goop.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been locing for 3 months now and started them myself. After much research and just my own preference, I decided to wash mine every two weeks initially. I just let the water run all over my head and would gently massage the scalp a bit. I did this for the first 1.5 months. After then, I used shampoo in my hand and lathered it on my locs and rinsed them really well. I did feel much better and just cleaner overall. There have been discussions on this topic previously and the concensus has been to follow your mind and just wash if you need to , but be gentle. :afro:
    "Be who you are, Be-lieve in yourself: Just Be!"
    [I][color=purple]I AM IASADE[/color]

Walking in God's Grace and Mercy Forever!!!!
    [b]hair type[/b]: 4
    [b]current length[/b]: 5 inches
    [b]Current style [/b]: New braidlocks 11/08
    See My Blog: [url="http://haircritique.blogspot.com/"]http://haircritique.blogspot.com/[/url]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast