Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome thread! Thanks soo much for the breakdown!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add, besides glycerin, sorbitol and honey are also alcohols which are water soluble so they should always be blended with the other water soluble ingredients.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do we make this a sticky so it's at the top for those who are new and want to know and those who want to came back to it.???

Blackstar Guest

i've started making lotions a swell, adn it's hit and miss so when iget it right i make so many bottles and put them in the fridge. i can't get my hands on lecithin in Norway so I had to make up my own emulsifier. I researched and found out and emulsifier is basically a very fatty oil which has been acidified, i then looked at the ingredients on all my other products. They all have Glycerin, coconut oil (cetearyl alcohol) and citric acid. I mix these and it works as an emulsifier. Go easy on the citric acid. It's very safe but you don't need so much. It also acts as a preservative

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackstar Guest

Originally posted by Blackstar@Dec 21 2004, 11:28 AM
    i've started making lotions a swell, adn it's hit and miss so when iget it right i make so many bottles and put them in the fridge. i can't get my hands on lecithin in Norway so I had to make up my own emulsifier. I researched and found out and emulsifier is basically a very fatty oil which has been acidified, i then looked at the ingredients on all my other products. They all have Glycerin, coconut oil (cetearyl alcohol) and citric acid. I mix these and it works as an emulsifier. Go easy on the citric acid. It's very safe but you don't need so much. It also acts as a preservative
    [snapback]651156[/snapback]
    Haven't had somuch luck with this, so i found some lecithin but it's in capsules and i have to break them open. Lecithin is tricky. Sometimes I get good results and sometimes I don't. Does the water always have to be hot before you mix?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using liquid lecithin in a recipe for hair lotion that I found, and it always comes out watery...no matter how much lecithin I use. I tried heating the water and other ingredients first, and the mixture stayed creamy for a few minutes while it was still warm, and then it became watery and separated. I always have to shake the bottle of hair lotion to get the ingredients to recombine before each use, so now I'm looking for something that will work a little better......

Beautifulnappi

Nappy since July 2003
    Visit My New Fotki Album
    Visit My Old Fotki Album

Blackstar Guest

Originally posted by Beautifulnappi@Jan 15 2005, 12:55 AM
    I've been using liquid lecithin in a recipe for hair lotion that I found, and it always comes out watery...no matter how much lecithin I use. I tried heating the water and other ingredients first, and the mixture stayed creamy for a few minutes while it was still warm, and then it became watery and separated. I always have to shake the bottle of hair lotion to get the ingredients to recombine before each use, so now I'm looking for something that will work a little better......

[snapback]675202[/snapback]
    your lecithin should be between 3-7%. If you go to the thread that is called 'great site on lotion making' or sth similar, u'll find a weblink i placed there. that site shows u how to calculate percentages and achieve proper measurements. in addition lecithin is just a binder. u'll also need beeswax to thicken the mixture and make it stable.
    u might also be blending too fast. that makes the emulsion separate. the water should be warm not hot. it must not be cold either or your wax will harden.
    add the water drop by drop. blend. stop blending. add a few drops of water. blend. etc etc hopefully the mixture would thicken b4 ur eyes

ooooo Guest

wow this looks really really interesting. i can't believe folks are making LOTIONS for FUN. WOW. HMM.

well. i have some borax laundry booster and i might try that to "emulsify" a cream into lotion. might be a neat experiment.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast