Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a high school senior. I just starting locking a couple months ago, and now (white) kids find covert ways to touch my head.They tap me on the head as they walk away. And last year when I wore fros to school my debate teacher actually tried that. This jewish kid was just amazed by my fro and asked to touch- I was okay with this.

They don't try to touch permed hair. It is like they are trying to feel how different it is, to see if all the racist fodder they heard about natural hair is really true.

Why can't they just be honest about? Just ask, "Hey, I always wanted to know what Negro hair feels like." Don't be insidious about it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are people. If they can find a way to do it w/o asking, they will...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Pics
    How to Post Pics in a Thread
    Short Hair? Don't Care!
    You can make a peace with the world that brings chaos into yourself. You can make a peace with yourself that brings chaos amid the world. Intellexual

caramelqt928 Guest

Honey, don't feel bad. I have white people and black alike wanting to get all up in my head.

sonce Guest

Originally posted by boomslang@Sep 8 2005, 09:41 PM
    I am a high school senior. I just starting locking a couple months ago, and now (white) kids find covert ways to touch my head.They tap me on the head as they walk away. And last year when I wore fros to school my debate teacher actually tried that. This jewish kid was just amazed by my fro and asked to touch- I was okay with this.

They don't try to touch permed hair. It is like they are trying to feel how different it is, to see if all the racist fodder they heard about natural hair is really true.

Why can't they just be honest about? Just ask, "Hey, I always wanted to know what Negro hair feels like." Don't be insidious about it.
    [snapback]991426[/snapback]
    :lol: Because they know the chances of getting a tap on the jaw are high if they come out like that.

cornchip is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not just white people its everyone. And its not right that you single out that one racial group cause everyone is curious about things they dont see very often be it hair or clothes.People will stare and a select few will be rude enough to touch. So I bet if you went to a black community there will be people who want to touch your hair cause they hardly ever see hair like yours .And its really rare to see people in their teens with locs if you think about it. So you are something new and unique to them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess Mrs. Bush wanted to know what it felt like too.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

missCONGENIALity Guest

I have experience the same thing and I hate it for two reasons.

1. Growing up in the dirty south. My grandparents always told us to not let people touch your head. It goes back to this thing slave thing about if a white man rubs a black persons head, they'll get good luck. (I am not making this up and I know some crazier wisetells too.) The clame that's why when you see players start a game, you always see the coach rub their heads.

2.This might sound crazy, but this is how i feel. Its like the transfering of energy. You know how some people with locs (especially for religious reasons) don't let everyone touch their hair. I guess you can understand it better in the sense when, women are pregant and the don't let everyone touch their bellies.

MsCurly85 Guest

Originally posted by cyndependant@Sep 8 2005, 09:04 PM

Guess Mrs. Bush wanted to know what it felt like too.
    [snapback]991468[/snapback]
    :lipsrsealed:

i feel bad for that lil girl... i wouldn't want her old a*s dirty hands in my hair..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, at work white folks try to be VERY bold about touching my hair. Some who've never spoke to me, at that! They smile all big and round their eyes in surprise and exclaim, "OH, IT'S SO SOFT!"

Now that I know what's up, I know to be prepared to duck when I see them coming.
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate it when people try to do that...I´ve had even Black people do that. Now when I see someone´s hands reaching for my hair, I just move my head and say that too many people try to do that... <_<
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast