curlyhoo is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong here, I love my natural locks, wouldn't trade them for the world as a matter of fact, but I know that I also like to wear varying styles, some of which include straight hair. I've heard that excessive heat is not good for the hair, but does anybody know a safe way to press/straighten hair? Especially now that it's getting colder this might have to be more of an option for me because going outside with wet hair is not wise. Just let me know... Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curlyhoo, You're right.

Excessive heat is not good for the hair so there is no safe way to press/or straighten.

Whenever you press, you're running the risk of damage.
    [color=red][url='http://public.fotki.com/gemini04/']http://public.fotki.com/gemini04/[/url] PSW: love[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh BTW,

Since it's colder, the hair will be drier. Pressing it will add to the misery.

Do a search on the site. There's alot of stuff on pressing.

[color=red][url='http://public.fotki.com/gemini04/']http://public.fotki.com/gemini04/[/url] PSW: love[/color]

Tasha806 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that direct heat can be very damaging to the hair. But have you considered a roller set?? I do this sometimes to achieve a straight style. You can use rods, straws etc. to acheive different types of curls. Since the hood dryer is not direct heat it's not damaging to the hair, just make sure that you use a moisturizer or leave-in conditioner along with a setting lotion. I plan to do this style more often because it's cold outside and I too am tired of dealing with damp hair everyday.
    HTH

curlyhoo is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tasha, do you have to do anything special when you do this? I've never really set my hair before, so I'm a bit clueless when it comes to that. :doh Would I comb out my hair first, or just roll it after I shampoo it? Any tips you can give are appreciated. Thanks. CH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I do is....

Wash it (if you're washing...)
    slap some conditioner on it. let it sit for 20 mins.
    Rinse that out.

I honestly stand in the shower and just let water run on my hair for the longest time and just use a little bit of shampoo to get rid of buildup...
    I'm sooooo glad I don't have to pay a water bill because I'd have to get another job.

So after the conditioner is out and you've let some of that good ol' water soak up in your hair...towel pat it down. Section it off and start rolling. I tried adding a little pomade to each strand that I was putting on the roller. I didn't sit under the dryer...I just let it dry over night. It feels great. This worked well with two strand twists too.
    I would really suggest detangling in the shower. It makes everything so much easier.
    Also, have a spray bottle on hand to keep your hair moist while rolling it.
    Hope this helps some

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by curlyhoo@Nov 26 2003, 02:10 AM
    Don't get me wrong here, I love my natural locks, wouldn't trade them for the world as a matter of fact, but I know that I also like to wear varying styles, some of which include straight hair. I've heard that excessive heat is not good for the hair, but does anybody know a safe way to press/straighten hair? Especially now that it's getting colder this might have to be more of an option for me because going outside with wet hair is not wise. Just let me know... Thanks.
    Say no to excessive heat. There is never anything safe about a running a 200+┬░ metal comb through your hair. No matter how much or what type of grease you use.

It's always a risk so I won't do it.

I much stretch my hair out when it's wet and tie it back with a scarf until it dries. Body heat does just fine. Even twisting/braiding will stretch your hair out very well without the damage heat causes. You can even wrap and set your hair much like you did when it was relaxed. It takes longer to dry but the result is smooth. Of course it will go home if it gets wet, so you will need to use a strong wax to hold the style as long as possible.

~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Tasha806 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by curlyhoo@Nov 25 2003, 04:31 PM
    Tasha, do you have to do anything special when you do this? I've never really set my hair before, so I'm a bit clueless when it comes to that. :doh Would I comb out my hair first, or just roll it after I shampoo it? Any tips you can give are appreciated. Thanks. CH
    I usually shampoo and condition my hair first. I don't really towel dry because the wetter the hair the better the set. I apply a little kemi-oyl to my wet hair, and then i apply my IC Fantasia Styling foam. I part it into sections depending on what type of style i want it in. I then wrap the hair around the rollers etc. making sure not to put too much hair on each roller. After i'm done I sit under my hooded dryer for about 30 minutes or so on medium setting. To check for dryness i take down one roller from the back of my hair and feel the curl and see if dry. If dry i kind of feel around the rest of my rollers and see if they feel dry as well,
    if so then i come from under the dryer and let my hair stand in the rollers for about a minute or so to cool down then i remove them and style as usual. As someone else mentioned you can also set your hair and let it air dry if you don't want to use any heat. Like Dee said you can braid, twist, roll or set the hair anyway you like to stretch it out and it's healthier than pressing!
    HTH

ETA: You may want to keep a spray bottle handy with water in it or even with water and setting lotion mixed together when rolling to keep the hair as wet as possible at all times!

deedabug is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont like pressing just because i get to hot doing it and it sucks period to me...but the last time i pressed mine in transition...i used black n sassy heat activated hot sheen...and a electric pressing comb...i am not good with the kind you put on the stove eye...i have burnt my hair out to much like that back in the day...and that ''pressing grease'' didn't help...with that electric comb you can choose a low setting and with the black n sassy product it will still get it str8 for ya real good.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Myself do not press... Will most likely never press. I fear the direct heat would just sizzle my lil curly (napptural) hair away.

I recommend you try these other method's the ladies have posted ( especially Dee's,Tasha806 ). I'm taking notes on those two. But, I encourage you to try other way's of straightening your hair. I'd hate for you to have a bad experience from the heat of the pressing comb.

~~ abdul mughni~~
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

- T. E. Lawrence (1888 - 1935)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast