Thread: Thin Hair Help

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything to be done for thin hair? I wore braids non-stop for about twenty years. (typically taking down old braids, and having them redone in the same weekend) I've been natural for about three years now, but only stopped wearing braids at the begining of this year, to learn how to deal with my hair. (which i'd never done before, even when permed, it was always braided)

My concern is how thin it is all over...it's a little thinner on the sides (traction allopecia, i'm assuming) but that's filled in a bit since i stopped the tight braids. I'm wondering though if I will see any thickening of my hair if i continue to not wear braids or any other tight styles, or if the damage I've done (pulling, tugging, etc) is permanent since I kept doing it consistently for so many years?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Adora@Sep 29 2005, 06:13 PM
    Is there anything to be done for thin hair? I wore braids non-stop for about twenty years. (typically taking down old braids, and having them redone in the same weekend) I've been natural for about three years now, but only stopped wearing braids at the begining of this year, to learn how to deal with my hair. (which i'd never done before, even when permed, it was always braided)

My concern is how thin it is all over...it's a little thinner on the sides (traction allopecia, i'm assuming) but that's filled in a bit since i stopped the tight braids. I'm wondering though if I will see any thickening of my hair if i continue to not wear braids or any other tight styles, or if the damage I've done (pulling, tugging, etc) is permanent since I kept doing it consistently for so many years?
    [snapback]1017264[/snapback]
    I think the only thing that will tell you if it's temporary or permanent is time. I wore braids consistently (also taking them down and redoing them immediately) for about six years. As soon as I noticed it was making my sides thin, out came the braids. No conflict there. Same with the chemical fire cream. When I saw it was damaging my right hairline, I stopped relaxing. I went from the chemical fire cream to the braids because it disguised the slight sparseness, and I found them to be a becoming style. I didn't know they would make the sides of my hairline even more weak. I did some research about traction alopecia, and started wearing two strand twists after removing the braids--a nice, non-stressing style.

My hair filled back in some--but not as completely as it had been before the damage. I used some root stimulator stuff (not really having faith it would work, but tried it just the same. If hair is meant to grow back, it will. If the follicle is damaged, there's nothing you can put on your head to make hair grow again). Anyway, the fineness is not really noticeable. It's just that I know it's there.

I would absolutely recommend leaving the braids and anything that pulls on the hair alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by dayna+Oct 2 2005, 04:07 PM-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-Adora
    @Sep 29 2005, 06:13 PM
    Is there anything to be done for thin hair? I wore braids non-stop for about twenty years. (typically taking down old braids, and having them redone in the same weekend) I&#39;ve been natural for about three years now, but only stopped wearing braids at the begining of this year, to learn how to deal with my hair. (which i&#39;d never done before, even when permed, it was always braided)

My concern is how thin it is all over...it&#39;s a little thinner on the sides (traction allopecia, i&#39;m assuming) but that&#39;s filled in a bit since i stopped the tight braids. I&#39;m wondering though if I will see any thickening of my hair if i continue to not wear braids or any other tight styles, or if the damage I&#39;ve done (pulling, tugging, etc) is permanent since I kept doing it consistently for so many years?Â
    [snapback]1017264[/snapback]
    I think the only thing that will tell you if it&#39;s temporary or permanent is time. I wore braids consistently (also taking them down and redoing them immediately) for about six years. As soon as I noticed it was making my sides thin, out came the braids. No conflict there. Same with the chemical fire cream. When I saw it was damaging my right hairline, I stopped relaxing. I went from the chemical fire cream to the braids because it disguised the slight sparseness, and I found them to be a becoming style. I didn&#39;t know they would make the sides of my hairline even more weak. I did some research about traction alopecia, and started wearing two strand twists after removing the braids--a nice, non-stressing style.

My hair filled back in some--but not as completely as it had been before the damage. I used some root stimulator stuff (not really having faith it would work, but tried it just the same. If hair is meant to grow back, it will. If the follicle is damaged, there&#39;s nothing you can put on your head to make hair grow again). Anyway, the fineness is not really noticeable. It&#39;s just that I know it&#39;s there.

I would absolutely recommend leaving the braids and anything that pulls on the hair alone.
    [snapback]1020870[/snapback]
    [/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey I know the same thing sort of happened to me, I&#39;ve been wearing locks for about 8 years, but during this time I constantly wore my locks up with a locks turban around them, it allowed for my locks to grow long and healthy that was the plus side! but because I kept pulling my hair up and tightly with the turbon my hair became weak and thin on the sides!!!! now what!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chi, can you wear your hair down for a while to see if your sides come back? Do you have to keep your hair covered for religious purposes? Maybe you could wear a tam instead to keep your hair loose but still covered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I had the same problems, I was getting my hair braided in micro-braids for a year and my hairline started to thin. The braids would break my edges off, so out with the braids I came. Its been over a year and the sides of my hair by my temples hasn&#39;t grown back. Its extremely short compared to all my hair. I&#39;ve been natural for two years now and I don&#39;t know what to do our use. Does anyone have an answer?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by chi@Oct 2 2005, 05:41 PM
    hey I know the same thing sort of happened to me, I&#39;ve been wearing locks for about 8 years, but during this time I constantly wore my locks up with a locks turban around them, it allowed for my locks to grow long and healthy that was the plus side! but because I kept pulling my hair up and tightly with the turbon my hair became weak and thin on the sides!!!! now what!
    [snapback]1020998[/snapback]
    yes I&#39;ve been wearing my hair down but I don&#39;t like the way I look,my locks were down my back ,I cut them above my shoulder trying to get a new look, hated IT!!!!!now I&#39;m stuck with this lock lenght that I hate and not being able to wear it up anymore. :doh

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you can pull it back, just not so tightly. You can also use straight hair pins to pin it pack, just remember not to pull it too tightly.