Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just wondering how did you get into riding?
    My guardian had several grown children (30-50's) when I grew up and they all rode. I grew up drooling over their Harley's and have memories of torn up bikes in my mom's living room but she refused to ever let them take me for a ride. One of my brothers had a wreck and lost some scalp, an ear and a big toe. Another brother lost a couple inches off one leg from his. I grew up loving them, dreaming of riding but completely afraid of it. My children's father bought a little shadow when we lived together and he planned to teach me after we realized I wanted to ride my own too much to be a good passenger. I rode on the back with him maybe five times before we split up, during that time the third brother died in a collision with a car. fast forward 5 years, I was going to school with an hour commute and gas was really expensive... I also had a new BF with a bike and using commute and and gas savings as my logical excuse, I finally allowed myself to dream. I was very afraid but I was also older and feeling much stronger as a person. It started as a joke and a bet. I showed up one day with my permit and my BF was suddenly thrust into teaching me when he was humoring me and waiting for me to change my mind. When I want something that I am afraid of, I act quickly so I don't talk myself out of it. I begged him to teach me before the MSF because I was afraid I would chicken out. I got on his bike for the first time in traffic after my car broke down, felt the wind, smelt the ocean, trees and horses, and fell in love.

Sometimes now when I ride, I think of me as a little kid running after y big gruff hells angel brother with my afro waving behind me begging, "take me for a ride". I can also see his sad face telling me "mom will kick my ***!". Now, mom loves me riding... I think she sees it as I do, a tribute to the one grown child I was closest too and the thing he loved most. He loved to ride more than anything else and rode from his early teens till he died in his late fifties.

Did you take any type of course?
    I took the MSF after practicing for a month with my ex.

How did you choose your bike?
    I did a lot of research with my ex and I planned to get a SV650. He happened to see the bike in a review with a really bad pic but the specs looks perfect. A couple days later I saw one for sale and agreed to see it, it was much prettier in person and after having sat on a lot of bikes for two months, seeing the fizzy was love at first sight.

What type of riding do you do?
    2005 Yamaha FZ6 is silver

Does your SO ride?
    I am single, but my ex rode and taught me to ride before I could take my MSF. He also bought me the fizzy. We are still friends.

Have you done any modifications to your bike?
    I am adding the engine guard before winter and I have a givi bag on the bag with the break light routed through it.

What is your dream bike? (I think I know this one..you want one of dem Italian thangs...just kidding Ducatis are nice.)
    My bike is pretty much my dream bike. I love ducatis but it would be for fun, my fizzy is my day to day love. My real dream bike is aimed at a dream trip. I dream about riding the circumference of South america and would love a BMW R1200 GS dual sport tourer. I want to have it altered to accept a side car. The side car would be a custom dual sport side car with suspension, lights, side impact cars, heat and cooling, a retractable hood, audio system so I can talk communicate with the side car and have two game boy consuls. It would seat two munchkins and we would be off for the entire summer. Once the trip was over it would be my "family car."

Do you read any motorcycle magazines?
    Not really, I started to but they were all ads for bike reviews. I read motorcycle technique books, and love www.pashnit.com

Do you post on any motorcycle boards?
    sportbikes.net my nick is fizzygrrl

Are you planning to attend any motorcycle event....Black Bike Week, etc?
    no, I am a total loner and crowds make me bonkers.

Are you member of a riding club?
    Not yet since sitters are expensive and my repeat turns in the twisties need to smooth out a little bit more first. By next spring I should be ready for group rides and plan to join curve unit.

Are there a lot of female riders in your area?
    There are getting to be more, mostly little old ladies on gold wings and younger women on sport bikes.

AA female riders?
    I'm not sure what this is... riders who are in AA? if so, no. but there are several groups around here.

Have you laid your bike down?
    I laid my ex's bike down a bunch of times learning since it was an old top heavy BMW that was so tall I was on tip toes. Only dropped it once while I was actually.... moving. My bike was dropped twice. Once getting it off the center stand on a slop (oops), the second time my tire pressure was too low and it was handling funky in a turn. I learned all about tire pressure that day. My bike just got a scrap on the handle bar and a scrap on the givi. I wasn't actually going anywhere so I was fine. The time I dropped my ex's going into a crazy odd turn that I still can't figure out how to take properly was far scarier and I did a little bit (2k) of damage.

What gear do you wear?
    I have some fear gear overpants that I found that actually fit over my ****... It is hard to find GOOD gear for women, even harder to find GOOD gear to fit a black women's body shape. My Heine Gericke Maverick Jacket has elasticized leather at the shoulders and lower back so it doesn't drift up from my butt going out instead of wide like to many. Arai Helmet, and the best women's gloves I have ever seen (they even have a connection between the last two fingers to protect your pinky from breaking: I love my gloves) called schoeller keprotec high end womens . I love those gloves and plan to get my winter gloves from the same company since the money was well spent. My boots are just cheap Frank thomas boots until I can grab a pair of winter daytonas's.

Are you interested in doing track days?
    I have always wanted to do a track day and plan to pick up a used ninja 250 to make into a little learner track bike so I don't trash my fizzy

http://www.youtube.com/user/quotidianlight

http://twitter.com/quotidianlight

http://public.fotki.com/quotidianlight/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Type of Riding = agressive, track, laid back, mostly day to day.. i.e commutiing, twisties, drag racing, etc

AA=African American

PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just wondering how did you get into riding?

My dh took me out riding with him (I didn't even know he could ride until he came home one day with an 82 yamaha virago, still my favorite bike in the world, although embarassing cuz it sounds like it's about to fly apart when you start it). Riding with him was very intuitive for me and he swears I'm the best passenger ever and it's as though there is no one on the bike with him since I've never fought with him and don't fidget. I do anticipate turns, keep an eye out for debris on the road, wave at other motorcyclists, etc. Shortly after the Virago, we got an 89 Suzuki Intruder, which is a beautiful bike and then the BMW which is beautiful and unusual enough that we don't look like everyone else.

What type of riding do you do?

We are out and about on weekends and quick trips to the store. Last year we took off for four days on the bike, no plans, just went. Went up the Maine coast to Bar Harbor, then across to Conway, NH (found the most motorcycle friendly motel in the world (towels to wipe down the bikes, peg rests, spots right in front of the room for your bike), over to the Kangamangus Highway (absolutely beautiful) and then back home (helps that we don't have kids).

What is your dream bike?

Hubby wants to trade the BMW for the newest BMW R1200RT (sport-tourer) and he'd like the dual sport as well.

Do you read any motorcycle magazines? Cycle World and Motorcyclist subscriptions at the house, pretty much every motorcycle magazine out there. We belong to the BMW Owners Association and the American Motorcycle Association.

Do you post on any motorcycle boards?I read them sometimes.

Are you planning to attend any motorcycle event....Black Bike Week, etc? Laconia and Weirs Beach are 25 minutes from our house, but every year as the thousands of riders show up here, we head the opposite direction. I'm not a fan of rallys, too many half naked women (who the hell goes out on a bike wearing shorts, stripper shoes and a tank top, what are you just begging for road rash?)

Are you member of a riding club? We used to belong to a Riders Club hosted by the local Honda shop, it was great, we'd make trips every Wednesday for ice cream, with a different lead rider each time, or we drive up the coast of Maine looking for good food to eat.

Are there a lot of female riders in your area? Female riders all over the place here, lots of our friends.

AA female riders? Not a lof of AA people in New Hampshire but there is one AA female rider I know, she's natural too, with dreads to her waist.

Have you laid your bike down? We've never laid the bike down. Several friends have recently, one was hit by a truck that ran a yellow light, he wasn't seriously hurt. Another, a 40 year rider, put his bike down when his tires slipped on sand on the curve of the road. He suffered brain trauma, broken ribs, fractured facial bones, and still isn't doing too well.

What gear do you wear? helmet, gloves, weather appropriate jacket with armor, boots, and jeans. NH doesn't have a helmet law either but it's more important to keep my brains in my head than to look cool.

Are you interested in doing track days? Track days is held right up the road from us and unfortunately last week a guy died while doing it. My hubby would love to do the track days, but he needs a sportier bike (of course that's just his excuse to get a new bike).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SouthernShorty@Oct 8 2005, 07:30 AM
    Type of Riding = aggressive, track, laid back, mostly day to day.. i.e commutiing, twisties, drag racing, etc

AA=African American
    [snapback]1028880[/snapback]
    hahhaha, I am so used to looking at POC that AA just went over my head :lol:

I haven't seen many POC riding but occasionally I'll see a guy. So far, I haven't met any AA women riders but about an hour south or east there is better representation.

So far I do day to day commuting and some twisties since I am still learning. I hope to start doing track days next year. When I am commuting, I can be either laid back or a tad speedy. I am still very cautious on twisties with repeat turns though.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning to ride is on my list of things to do in my lifetime. I love bikes. I love men on bikes. And it's cool to see girls on bikes, too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SouthernShorty@Oct 7 2005, 10:40 PM

allegra_arielle-Some may not agree with me, but for a first motorcycle my suggestion is to buy used. Cycle Trader is a good place to start. I can't speak on the price of choppers, but as far as sportbikes/crotch rockets....I cannot think of one bike I would recommend for a beginner that cost $10,000. The most important thing is how you feel on the bike, so go sit on a few and go from there. Get the one you're most comfortable on and don't go for the the big cc's, though that's more for sportbikes though cause it doesn't equate the same for crusiers. Maintenance on my husband's Honda cost more than our other bikes, so that's another thing to consider.
    [snapback]1028541[/snapback]
    Thanks...I don't actually want to buy a chopper though, I want to build one because, well, I have nothing else better to do, lol. I've only ridden a Honda and a Yamaha before, and I liked the Honda more. I'll get a feel of some more though.
    ~ b.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by allegra_arielle+Oct 9 2005, 12:47 AM-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-SouthernShorty
    @Oct 7 2005, 10:40 PM

allegra_arielle-Some may not agree with me, but for a first motorcycle my suggestion is to buy used. Cycle Trader is a good place to start. I can&#39;t speak on the price of choppers, but as far as sportbikes/crotch rockets....I cannot think of one bike I would recommend for a beginner that cost $10,000. The most important thing is how you feel on the bike, so go sit on a few and go from there. Get the one you&#39;re most comfortable on and don&#39;t go for the the big cc&#39;s, though that&#39;s more for sportbikes though cause it doesn&#39;t equate the same for crusiers. Maintenance on my husband&#39;s Honda cost more than our other bikes, so that&#39;s another thing to consider.
    Thanks...I don&#39;t actually want to buy a chopper though, I want to build one because, well, I have nothing else better to do, lol. I&#39;ve only ridden a Honda and a Yamaha before, and I liked the Honda more. I&#39;ll get a feel of some more though.
    [snapback]1029377[/snapback]
    [/b]
    There are plenty of excellent sport or sport-tourers that you can buy for under 10K both new and used (especially naked bikes). It&#39;s most important that you try out various bikes and find the one you want (comfortable, you can stand it up with both feet planted firmly on the ground (or be willing to have it lowered which then can throw off other dynamics of the bike), etc.) it&#39;s just a matter of taking some time and finding the one for you.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still op:.
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ChandraNH+Oct 9 2005, 09:14 AM-->
    Originally posted by allegra_arielle@Oct 9 2005, 12:47 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-SouthernShorty
    @Oct 7 2005, 10:40 PM

allegra_arielle-Some may not agree with me, but for a first motorcycle my suggestion is to buy used. Cycle Trader is a good place to start. I can&#39;t speak on the price of choppers, but as far as sportbikes/crotch rockets....I cannot think of one bike I would recommend for a beginner that cost $10,000. The most important thing is how you feel on the bike, so go sit on a few and go from there. Get the one you&#39;re most comfortable on and don&#39;t go for the the big cc&#39;s, though that&#39;s more for sportbikes though cause it doesn&#39;t equate the same for crusiers. Maintenance on my husband&#39;s Honda cost more than our other bikes, so that&#39;s another thing to consider.

Thanks...I don&#39;t actually want to buy a chopper though, I want to build one because, well, I have nothing else better to do, lol. I&#39;ve only ridden a Honda and a Yamaha before, and I liked the Honda more. I&#39;ll get a feel of some more though.
    [snapback]1029377[/snapback]
    There are plenty of excellent sport or sport-tourers that you can buy for under 10K both new and used (especially naked bikes). It&#39;s most important that you try out various bikes and find the one you want (comfortable, you can stand it up with both feet planted firmly on the ground (or be willing to have it lowered which then can throw off other dynamics of the bike), etc.) it&#39;s just a matter of taking some time and finding the one for you.
    [snapback]1029775[/snapback]
    [/b]
    I haven&#39;t done it but I would like to build a sidecar for the twins myself. Not because I can&#39;t find a side car but because I am curious, adventurous and want to build one myself. First order of business would be learning to wield and machine, your local junior college probably has classes on both. Then their is learning how bikes work, engines etc. It would be better if you already rode since you really won&#39;t know what you want and what your riding style is prior. There is a group of women building choppers in canada if I remember right but I can&#39;t find the link. Another women owned builder is venuschoppers.com (there site isn&#39;t really up) and www.vagabondchoppers.com.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the site .

I&#39;m not familiar with bikes mechanically, but I can fix cars. I was gonna try and work for free (I bet they&#39;d like that, lol) at a bike garage to learn a few things. I&#39;m going to ride more too so I know what I&#39;m getting into.

I definitely want a sport bike though, and I wanted to build a chopper as a hobby. ^_^
    ~ b.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast