Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you can see (yup that's me in the summer in Colorado when I was 9 or 10), I've had a passion for bikes for as long as I can remember. My father raced and still races MC's; it's in my blood.

Do I ride?
    Yup

What do I ride?
    A Suzuki GSXR 600 that broke down <_<

Helmet problem?
    nope, I just usually wear cornrows and a bandanna
    www.youtube.com/napngo
    www.myspace.com/chi_style

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;d been wondering how I&#39;d wear my helmet as my hair gets longer, thanks for posting that^^^.

What do you all suggest for a first motorcycle? I&#39;ve always liked them since I started riding the loser Barbie bike my dad got me when I was 5 or something, and now I want one with a motor (lol). Also, what&#39;s a good price range? I&#39;m interested in getting a Honda in the next two years, and most of the ones I saw averaged about $10,000 or so.

Even though you&#39;re referring to sport bikes has anyone ever built a chopper?

P.S. - Sorry about all the ?&#39;s.

~ b.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ValleyOfDecision@Oct 8 2005, 01:53 AM
    Don&#39;t worry, y&#39;all are not alone. I&#39;m just h34r: since I can&#39;t ride yet. But thanks a lot for posting that MSF link. Is it a lot of money? Is that how you learned in the first place?

op:
    [snapback]1027560[/snapback]
    You&#39;re welcome. I took the class and then rode around parking lots for awhile w/my husband coaching me. I then went out for rides following him and then solo. I thinks it somewhere around $150..you know it&#39;s easy to forget the cost of something when it wasn&#39;t out your pocket.
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LeeshK+Oct 8 2005, 07:35 AM-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-ValleyOfDecision
    @Oct 7 2005, 12:53 PM
    Don&#39;t worry, y&#39;all are not alone. I&#39;m just h34r: since I can&#39;t ride yet. But thanks a lot for posting that MSF link. Is it a lot of money? Is that how you learned in the first place?

op:
    [snapback]1027560[/snapback]

Yup, definitely not alone. I&#39;m just h34r: like Valley. I have always been interested in bikes, never had one or taken a ride on one (unless you include the ride around the neighborhood when I was 8 :lol: )
    [snapback]1028302[/snapback]
    [/b]

That&#39;s doesn&#39;t matter. Y&#39;all should stay up in here and keep us company. I hope anyone who wants to ride does it eventually. I love it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ChandraNH-NH..who would have guessed. I thought the SW had all the bikes, at least that&#39;s how it seemed in AZ..NC too, then again I think I just notice bikes more since I ride. I started out as a passenger too, if you&#39;re ever interested in being up front go for it....it&#39;s a lot different.

Natural_High-Get that thing to the shop, and back out on the road. We&#39;ve had 4 Zooks in the family. 2 of them being GSXR 1000s, so I&#39;m partial to Suzuki. Hubby likes to trade up every now and then and have two to my one, but I get to ride them.

allegra_arielle-Some may not agree with me, but for a first motorcycle my suggestion is to buy used. Cycle Trader is a good place to start. I can&#39;t speak on the price of choppers, but as far as sportbikes/crotch rockets....I cannot think of one bike I would recommend for a beginner that cost $10,000. The most important thing is how you feel on the bike, so go sit on a few and go from there. Get the one you&#39;re most comfortable on and don&#39;t go for the the big cc&#39;s, though that&#39;s more for sportbikes though cause it doesn&#39;t equate the same for crusiers. Maintenance on my husband&#39;s Honda cost more than our other bikes, so that&#39;s another thing to consider.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

How long did it take for you to learn to ride? Is it like learning how to drive a car? Man, I wish there were someone, after taking lessons, that I knew so I could practice. There&#39;s no way I can afford my own right now. <_<
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww I m jealous I dont have the nerve
    Back home I used watch the races and my boy cousins with there bikes
    My female cousin is part of a motor cycle gang last time I saw her she had twa...fierce!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by jtsupa@Oct 7 2005, 11:57 PM

My female cousin is part of a motor cycle gang last time I saw her she had twa...fierce!
    [snapback]1028562[/snapback]
    A family friend of mine is part of Shaolin Ryders, under the umbrella group Ruff Ryders (yes, of DMX fame). I hope to join if they&#39;re decent folks. :afro:
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right here&#39;s my last one for now. The answers to my own questions.

I was just wondering how did you get into riding?

My dh took me for a ride on his motorcycle. It was my first and I loved it, plus you get to be all close and hugged up :wub: Later we started talking about me taking a class (all military riders are supposed to take one, and he had) to learn more about the mechanics of riding a motorcycle. Why I should lean with him and not fight him in turns, for example. I wasn&#39;t doing it and he had explained it to me, but he&#39;s always one to take it a step further. Time goes on and I&#39;m talking to one of my classmates who tells me that the class is given on base and the AF will pay for it. I told hubby about it and that I thought I wanted to take the class not only to learn about being a passenger, but I wanted to ride myself. That&#39;s all he needed to hear. He started looking for a bike that day. We got my bike a month before I attended the course and she sat whenever he wasn&#39;t riding her. He wouldn&#39;t teach me anything before hand because he didn&#39;t want to pass on any bad habits that he might have picked up. He loves the fact that his wife rides.

Did you take any type of course?

I took the beginner&#39;s rider course Oct 02 and plan to take the experienced rider&#39;s course next year. The base was looking for instructors, so my hubby may be the one teaching me when I go back. It&#39;s a few hours vs the 2 or 3 day beginner&#39;s course and you must bring your own bike and gear.

How did you choose your bike?

My husband picked it out. It came down to that or an R6. We also almost bought a brand new Katana, but I really didn&#39;t care for it when I sat on it. He&#39;s second guessed himself a few times, but not me. I wouldn&#39;t want any other bike for my first.

What type of riding do you do?

Mostly just commuting. I do my thing and break away from traffic when people are too close or trying to hem me up. People are crazy. I also go out and hit a few twisties with dh or we open it up on back roads or long stretches of highway. That&#39;s the best.

Does your SO ride?

All the time, it might drive me crazy of I didn&#39;t ride myself. Guess it works out cause he doesn&#39;t get the grief that some of his friends get.

Have you done any modifications to your bike?

Slip-on pipe, tank bra, new chain & sprocket (up or down a few in the front and rear..can&#39;t remember exactly how many b/c you know who handled that), K&N air filter..that&#39;s it for now, but if we decide she&#39;s staying and I give him free reign who knows what will be on her when I get back

What is your dream bike?

06 GSXR 750 is looking nice, though I&#39;ve been thinking about a Honda CBR 600 RR for a minute now, oh then there&#39;s the Honda Interceptor..that&#39;s just sexy, a Hayabusa or ZX-12R for two up is probably coming soon

Do you read any motorcycle magazines?Cycle World and Motorcyclist subscriptions at the house, I pick up on one over here if he mentions an article or something catches my eye

Do you post on any motorcycle boards?I used to post on sportbikes.com, but then I decided to spend more time riding instead of discussing it, but now I may start back posting or at least reading messages

Are you planning to attend any motorcycle event....Black Bike Week, etc?I&#39;ll probably go to Myrtle Beach in 07 just to say I went. Hubby went last year; don&#39;t think he was too impressed. Since we&#39;re in NC might as well go.

Are you member of a riding club? No, and beside dh I normally rode solo. I did go on few rides with an all female group Tucson Roadrunners, but I found them a few months before I left after being there for 3 years. When I get back to NC, I&#39;ll probably just ride in the back with hubby&#39;s group unless I meet some female riders.

Are there a lot of female riders in your area?I now consider my area to be Jacksonville/Goldsboro NC since I&#39;m hoping that&#39;s where the AF will send me, and I did see a few females out there.

AA female riders? I only saw one and she was riding w/Capris and a tank top on :icon_headshake:

Have you laid your bike down? Yep, two days in a row my first two times riding her. After riding around a parking lot and doing well, DH told me to go straight down the road and turn around and come back. Somehow I ended up turning at the light I should have gone through. I ended up near the mall and decided to turn around. I got fixated on the SUV at the light, and the bike goes where you look so I start going towards it and paniced and grabbed a handfull of brake as I&#39;m in the turn..down she goes. The next day I&#39;m following hubby and things are going well, we go to turn into a gas station and instead of turning at the next entrance I try to make it into the first one....going to fast..try to slow down and down we go. First day was on the right side, next day was on the left. It was back to parking lots for a while after that. It&#39;s funny now, but for awhile I didn&#39;t think I would ever ride. One of his boys even offered to buy it, but he said nope it&#39;s her bike and now 3 years later I can&#39;t imagine not riding. Thankfully it seems like I got it out of the way and that&#39;s been it other than some battles with the kickstand.

What gear do you wear? helmet, gloves, jacket, reflective vest, boots, and jeans, thought I&#39;m getting a set of full leathers soon. I lived in AZ where there is not a helmet law and that just seems weird to me, but to each his own. As far as the shorts and stuff, I can show you pictures of road rash that will make you want to put some gear on

Are you interested in doing track days?Yes, I am. Hubby&#39;s been to a track in San Diego, but I have yet to go. That&#39;s another reason for the full set of leathers. Nothing like pushing it in a controlled environment.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ValleyOfDecision@Oct 8 2005, 12:45 PM
    How long did it take for you to learn to ride? Is it like learning how to drive a car? Man, I wish there were someone, after taking lessons, that I knew so I could practice. There&#39;s no way I can afford my own right now. <_<
    [snapback]1028550[/snapback]

It took longer because I got scared, but after I got over that not long at all. Sorry I can&#39;t remember exactly. I think it helps if you know how to drive a manual, but I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s like driving a car at all. I wish you had someone to ride with too because if he didn&#39;t ride, I know I wouldn&#39;t be riding right now. I can&#39;t just ride w/anyone either; there&#39;s alot of trust involved.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast