Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I thought my English was good enough...well, its not, or at least not my american english. There are many words and concepts that I need help with, and its not a matter of dictionary using :P :

-Is there any difference between Kinky and Nappy?
    -What is the famous "shea butter"? If I know what it is made of, maybe I can look for it.
    -Before being natural, did you always go to the hairdressers to get your hair washed? why is washing your hair such a big deal? As I have always been natural, it sounds quite surprising. Im learning quite a lot here, because I always treated my hair like whites do, and that was such a mistake!... :doh

Thanks in advance!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chabela,
    -I think most people use "kinky" and "nappy" interchangeably.
    - Shea butter is a moisturizer. . . it can be found in many health food stores in the U.S. A lot of people from this site order it from various companies on the 'net. You could probably do a Google search for some of the more popular retailers.
    -as for the hairdressers. . .it's not that people HAD to go to the hairdressers to get their hair washed. . . many with p.erms were able to take care of their hair at home. I think the issue you may be missing is that one could not wash the hair "as often"; many would not wash as often in order to extend the effects of the r.elaxer. Not to mention, frequent washing with the r.elaxer would tend to dry out the hair.

Hope this helps!!

Blackstar Guest

Originally posted by Chabela@Oct 6 2005, 08:10 PM
    I thought my English was good enough...well, its not, or at least not my american english. There are many words and concepts that I need help with, and its not a matter of dictionary using :P :

-What is the famous "shea butter"? If I know what it is made of, maybe I can look for it.
    -Before being natural, did you always go to the hairdressers to get your hair washed? why is washing your hair such a big deal? As I have always been natural, it sounds quite surprising. Im learning quite a lot here, because I always treated my hair like whites do, and that was such a mistake!... :doh

Thanks in advance!
    [snapback]1026531[/snapback]
    i use kinky and nappy interchangeably. i come across kinky in science books on hair.

shea butter is a pale solid fat from the seeds of the shea tree use to moisturise the hair and skin. shea butter what you can make with shea butter

before being natural i used a r.elaxer and i was always very DIY. bought a shampoo washed my hair at home.

now i cleanse my hair with conditioner and don't use shampoo unless it's free of sodium laureth sulfate. shampoo can strip hair, and curly or kinky hair needs to be moisturised

anyway stick around on the site and you'll learn more

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Blackstar+Oct 6 2005, 10:33 PM-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-Chabela
    @Oct 6 2005, 08:10 PM

Thanks in advance!
    i use kinky and nappy interchangeably. i come across kinky in science books on hair.

shea butter is a pale solid fat from the seeds of the shea tree use to moisturise the hair and skin. shea butter what you can make with shea butter

before being natural i used a r.elaxer and i was always very DIY. bought a shampoo washed my hair at home.

now i cleanse my hair with conditioner and don&#39;t use shampoo unless it&#39;s free of sodium laureth sulfate. shampoo can strip hair, and curly or kinky hair needs to be moisturised

anyway stick around on the site and you&#39;ll learn more
    [snapback]1026771[/snapback]
    [/b]

Bienvenido a Nappturality Chabela!

Your English is better than you think..

Blackstar has covered a lot!
    Before going natural & when I lived in Madrid & Jaén (Andulucia) I had no other alternative but to wash my hair myself - no hairdressers in Jaén and the ones in Madrid were a :icon_headshake:

Thankfully, a friend of mine made some soap for me when I was in Jaen and that was lovely on my body and my hair.

With limited ingredients I used a lot of Olive Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Coconut Oil and Sunflower Oil.
    Now that I am natural I use those oils and more - I like to mix & match.

Try and keep your hair as moist as possible and spritz often with a mixture of water & little honey or whatever works for you.

You&#39;re lucky because the weather is always rather nice in Malaga but it can be dry nontheless, so keep your hair moist.

What texture is your hair?
    Do you have a picture of your hair that you can send?

Un saludo

15% off for NP members enter code -> i am beautiful <-

Chabela is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your answers!

As I said when I first came to the site, I am a white with a black hair. Seaching over here, I think my texture is what they call "3", the curls are a bit bigger than what is most usual in blacks, and they dont coil, excepting in the lower back of my head. My hair is very thick and dry. Nothing to do with curly white hair, anyway! No use for foams, gels, shampoos or anything suposed to take care of curly heads here. The black community here (south of Spain) is still very little, so there are almost no black hairdressers. White ones are of no use for me, they dont understand that my hair IS like it IS, not that I am wrongly doing anything! So I stopped going to hairdressers something like 10 years ago. :angry:

And the problem is that I cant go to blacks hairdressers, because they treat me as if I was crazzy or stupid, or just snob, and they charge me as if I could pay like a crazzy or a snob! :2cents:

It happens with braids, for instance. I cant wear my hair loose in summer, because its like a blanket. So I braid it. Myself. 95 braids or so. Braids became fashion here some years ago (2 or 3) FOR GIRLS. I mean, if you are over 20, you are not allowed to have braids, people think you are ridiculously trying to look younger. I braid my hair in summer since 12 years ago and am 41 now...see what people think of me?
    I dont know how are the prices there, but here they charge 150€ at least for braids with extensions (I think thats about 170$), and they are not qualified hairdressers, you never know how you would come out of it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Chabela@Oct 7 2005, 05:50 AM
    And the problem is that I cant go to blacks hairdressers, because they treat me as if I was crazzy or stupid, or just snob, and they charge me as if I could pay like a crazzy or a snob! :2cents:

It happens with braids, for instance. I cant wear my hair loose in summer, because its like a blanket. So I braid it. Myself. 95 braids or so. Braids became fashion here some years ago (2 or 3) FOR GIRLS.
    [snapback]1027152[/snapback]
    Black hairdresser probably wouldn&#39;t treat your hair right either. Besides braids, what other styles do you like? Do you like wavy hair? Or looser curls? Are curls and wavy hair acceptable to people?
    [color=#660066][i]I believe your promise is too hard to give me courage.
    All with my feelings...
    the precious time seeing you.

I&#39;m marching on...[/i]
    [b]TiA - Ryuusei (Shooting Star) - Naruto 6ED theme[/b][/color]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Only1biancab/keikoxmew2.jpg[/img]

Chabela is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JUst opened a flotki album. Password is mariano. Just come and see.
    http://public.fotki.com/Chafrica/my_hair/

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad to have you Chabela. Keep hanging round here you will learn so much more too!
    With Christ,obediance(please help me Holy Spirit),persistance,patience and His grace, all things are possible!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Chabela@Oct 6 2005, 01:10 PM
    -Before being natural, did you always go to the hairdressers to get your hair washed? why is washing your hair such a big deal?
    I did go to the hairdressers to get my hair washed. I washed my own hair, too. Some people don&#39;t wash their hair with shampoo because it dries their hair out. I wash my scalp with shampoo. It&#39;s good for me. You can wash your hair, too. It&#39;s not bad for all people.

[color=#660066][i]I believe your promise is too hard to give me courage.
    All with my feelings...
    the precious time seeing you.

I&#39;m marching on...[/i]
    [b]TiA - Ryuusei (Shooting Star) - Naruto 6ED theme[/b][/color]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Only1biancab/keikoxmew2.jpg[/img]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I don&#39;t have a reply now. It would seem that Kiaya and Blackstar pretty much said it. Either way...welcome to NP!
    <span style="color:blue">"The way we talk, the way we walk, sing, dance, pray, laugh, eat, make love, and finally and most important, the way we look, make up our cultural heritage. There is nothing like it or equal to it, it stands alone in comparison to other cultures. It is uniquely, beautifully and personally ours and no one can emulate it."</span>
    -Barbara Ann Teer, 1968
    [img]http://images11.fotki.com/v213/photos/5/592913/2531799/afrowwigsadChanged-vi.jpg[/img]
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/starrrdust143/"][SIZE=2][color=blue]My Fotki Albums[/url][/color][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast