User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    PrincessVina Guest

Lightbulb

This is crazy. How come folks don't specialize in natural hair? Where I live its almost impossible to find someone willing to do my hair. This past week/weekend I had a horendous time trying to find someone to do my hair. I asked about 4 folks. Nada.

As someone stated, I cannot stand it when you say you want a particular style and folks just flat out refuse to do it. Or they give you mucho static before they agree. If I am paying you money, I shouldn't have to ARGUE you DOWN to get you to do what I am PAYING you to do. As long as it won't look crazy, what's the deal?

Really, I didn't want to go back to sitting in folks living rooms. But it just might come to that.
    [/b]

Funny how we women will suffer through terrible service, crazy high prices, apathetic stylists and not even getting the desired style! We'll be dissatisfied, but we'll pay, maybe even tip, then walk out. However, if a sista were to go to a restaurant and the food aint what u ordered, the server was stank and they took forever to cater to you... we'd be outta there in a hot second and would probably refuse to pay for the mess! Why is it this way? lol
    (truth b told, sometimes the stylist intimidate me or something, guess thats y its hard to be all crunk)

T-time Guest

Whoa! Now when you say $125 are you talking about extentions or just regular two strand twists? The place I go will wash and twist my hair for $65. That seemed like a lot to me, but I take into consideration a lot of things (the salon atmosphere, the stylist, the pampering, and it lasts for 3 weeks). The name of the salon is the Institute of Fine Braidery Arts in Leimert Park. I have an appointment this Saturday. I'll post the pictures to see if we're talking about the same style.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was getting my bc, I thought of going to OMNH in Los Angeles. I was told by two friends that the atmosphere sucked. Both are loc'd. The girl doesn't go there, but the guy does. Anyway, I was like, Nappy is in the title, I'm doing. So I called make an appointment. I hung up, then realized I forgot the ask for the prices. The girl (sounds like the same young girl) told me that it woulf be $15 for the cut. (All right cool) and $125 for the measly little flat twist that would only be in the front. WTF!! I was like, "Cancel that appt. Ya'll trippin." I can do my own flat twist. So much for them.

T-Time, I saw The Institute's name. I wrote it down, but didn't try it because I assumed it was a school. Maybe I'll try them when I run out of styles or get too tired.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little surprised that you stayed to actually have your hair done after they way they behaved when you walked in. They wouldn't have gotten a dime off of me.
    <div align="center">
    BC: May '05 and I'm not going back! I'm in NappyParadise!!
    </div>

Dbcthesis Guest

OMNH is the rudest, poorly run, and most unprofessional salon that I&#39;ve ever been to. The owner is nice but her eldest daughter (the light-skninned chick w/the thick, curly hair) is so nasty that I actually wanted to hit her. She fussed at me for changing my mind about a style (even though the stylist told me to do so b/c she couldn&#39;t do my original request), then they were 1 hr. late in getting to me and this HEIFER yelled at me for not checking up on them about timeliness. Once I turned my head and fixed my lips to tell her *** off, the mom - Rosario, the owner, jumped in and apologized on behalf of her daughter. The daughter then had the audacity to tell her mom that she wasn&#39;t going to do my hair. I then said, "If you even think about touching me or my hair I will promise you that my head will be the last one you ever touch." She shut-up and avoided eye contact w/me the entire time. I&#39;m not a violent or ill-tempered person but the staff and owners of OMNH would make Ghandi wanna throwdown.

The mom gave me a $10 discount but I was so insulted that I told them that I would NEVER come back. They should be closed down.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if anyone on their staff belongs to this site. How many more people have to say something bad about this doggone salon. This is ridiculous! NO ONE I come across has anything good to say about it. They are in a prime location on LaBrea and are pissing it away with their funky, funky attitude.

Next time try Eclectic Salon. It&#39;s right around the corner on Wilshire and La Brea.

macsrcool Guest

There ain&#39;t nothing special about that place. I went in there in 2003. Silly me I wanted her to tell me what hair type I had and stuff. LOL The owner was nice. She talked to my mom for a while. But I remember her daughter was ranting about something or other then. I remember not liking her. I was looking through their photobook and pointed to a straw set I saw and the daughter said "that is for people with good hair." LMAO. Now that I think about it that was very offensive and spoke a lot about her opinion of herself and others.

So African woman did my hair. Flat twists in the front and roller set in the back. The flat twists were taken out and it left me with a nice bob type hair style. Then the owner procedes to do my hair how she wants it to look. I liked the defined look that I originally had, but she had to make it frizzy as hell. Looked like I had slepped on it for days.

Yea I remember having my hair set with some lame azz setting lotion and then having my scalp fried under the dryer. The lady next to my mom even commented to us when she saw that we were uncomfortable. Her scalp was being dried out, but for some reason she was a regular costomer there to get her locs retwisted. I remember my mom put down bookoo bucks for the both of us and neither of us were impressed with the place.

Whenever we pass that place, my mom and I have a laugh. We haven&#39;t been back and won&#39;t be going back.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please tell me who the African lady is who lives 5 minutes from your house. I need someone badly.

I went to the one in Oakland once and they have a big sign out front stating "Walk In&#39;s Welcome." When I went in, one of the sytlists stated, I know you don&#39;t expect to get your hair done on a Saturday without an appointment. WTF.

I have not had good luck at natural hair salons. I went to another salon in Oakland. My appointment was at 8:00 a.m. Got there at 7:30. Got a good parking space and waited. To her credit, the stylist was on time, BUT she had four other people all there at 8:00 a.m.. Now, I thought because I was the first one there I would be serviced first. NOT!!!!!! She ignored me and proceeded to take her "regulars." I waited all of 15 minutes and left. All the time I sat there, the stylist never even acknowledged me. I had to ask the receptionist who would my stylist be. When I informed her my appointment was at 8:00 a.m., she said, "have a seat."

The receptionist had the nerve to call me at home and ask me did I want to reschedule. SORRY DON&#39;T THINK SO!!!! When I&#39;m spending major bucks, ya gotta treat me special. I&#39;m just funny that way.

The only success I&#39;ve had is an African young lady who ironically lives five minutes from my house and is the cheapest one out of them all.
    [/b]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234