User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poohbear215 Guest

Thumbs down

I posted this in another thread but I'm not sure if there has been a thread already started about this.

I saw the Tyra show yesterday and it talked about good hair vs. bad hair. I couldn&#39;t believe that black woman said she married a Korean so her kids would have "good hair". The woman also talked about how she wears weaves because she hates how nappy and dry her hair is. <_<

I have a black friend who married a Mexican guy and had a child by him just so her child would have "good hair"... so sad.

There was also a white woman on the show that has nappy frizzy hair and she wears braids because she hates her hair and feels like she has bad hair too. And she said white people would look at her strange and say rude things about her wearing braids since she was white.

There was also a woman on the show that did say she doesn&#39;t believe in "good hair/bad hair"... she thinks all hair is good hair. BUT she doesn&#39;t wear her hair natural because of Corporate America. She said she probably wouldn&#39;t have the management position she has now if she had went into her interview with dreadlocks or some other natural hair style. <_<

Before she interviewed these girls, Tyra showed a clip from 5 years ago where she was talking to a group of girls about modeling. She was crying and everything about how she felt like she had to look more Caucasian to be a model and chose to wear straight wigs and weaves in order to achieve that White look. She said now she&#39;s trying to accept her hair but I don&#39;t see how... she&#39;s still wearing the wigs and stuff. :dunno: She said from now on, she&#39;ll wear different type of hairstyles (she&#39;s gonna mainly wear different type of wigs) to represent different types of beauty.

Did anyone else see the show???
    If so or if not, what do you think about the things said on the show by these women???
    And do you know anyone personally who thinks nappy hair is bad hair???

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man I wish I saw this... was this yesterday?
    Hair eternal smokin&#39; bush.... outta control forest fire approachin&#39; your city...shamelessly in touch with the deep-grown roots of the fertile land called scalp..Hair she be my first love. Jennifer McLune

LGBN BLOGGER
    Elvis is a Rock Star. The mind of a Black 7 year old boy.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw it but I thought that she was being fake since she was wearing a blond wig at the time. Also, in the clip from 5 years ago she was wearing braid extensions? Ratings, simply ratings! :icon_headshake:
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance!

If you educate a girl you educate a generation. Mary Mcleod Bethune

"Imagine going to work and not being able to do your job. Now imagine that you can&#39;t leave your job.Imagine having to do that everyday.This is what life is like for children with learning disabilities."

Poohbear215 Guest

Originally posted by Barklel@Nov 4 2005, 09:00 AM
    man I wish I saw this... was this yesterday?
    [snapback]1061009[/snapback]
    yes it was aired yesterday. i usually don&#39;t watch her show but when I was flipping through channels, i saw a preview of what the show was about so i watched it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyra&#39;s shows have no value for the guest...it is all about how she can represent her self righteous plight on any given topic. I did not see the show but I can just see her makeup clad face and blonde weave strewn <--- is that a word? throughout as she looks at the camera and proclaims her inclination to be "all things natural" A blatant contradiction. She gets an "E" effort but she lacks creativity and seems fake and out of touch. IMO
    [url="http://www.baby-gaga.com/"][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/foxfoxsbu20070225_-5_King%20is.png[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She said that her weave was voted on by the viewers.

I thought it was interesting that she alluded that her fierce cute fro was a disaster <_<
    She contradicts herself alot!

Did not watch the last half of the show.

jazzijenni81 Guest

my sister just came back from LA and she went to the tyra show. she and her friends met tyra and they say shes great! she talked to them for a while and was so real. she doesnt have the "star" attitude, she made a few rich white girls move to give a few sistas better seats! and she let them touch her weave :lol: from what my sister and pals say, tyra is cool as a fan! ok, on to the good/bad...

i dont think we can ever rid ourselves of that mentality b/c its too deep rooted. we will always be concerned w good/bad hair/dark/light skin/pretty eyes and everything else... until we undo the ties of self-hatred. we&#39;ve been bound for over 400 years. its gonna take a miracle.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Yeah, I saw some of the show. I was :icon_headshake: , especially at the "I married my Korean man so I could have kids with good hair" woman. :icon_headshake: <_<

I didn&#39;t watch the whole show, but this is one of the very few times where I was so annoyed by what I saw re: hair that I&#39;m gonna write to her show and suggest that she do at least a segment on natural hair and dispelling the myths behind it. Maybe she&#39;ll be a little more open to the idea than Oprah. :icon_eek13:

And another thing that annoyed me was the fact that we (general) act as if our hair is a dirty little secret - like "Don&#39;t let them know that&#39;s how our real hair looks! Don&#39;t let Massa know!". It annoys the he!! outta me. <_<
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

vinny_46 Guest

I saw the last half. I&#39;ll be watching when they bring the girl who married the Korean man "for the hairtype" back.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UM UM UM..Speaking of "good hur" did you all see BET&#39;s top 25 women of beauty? They had the nerver to have Lauren as #25! and Beyonce as # 2! Alicia Keys was one of them and Bobbie Valentino had the nerve to say, " Yeah she&#39;s a red bone and she got that good grade of hur." I bout fell out of my seat. He didn&#39;t have any cool point w/ me so now he&#39;s in the negative. I actually thought about finding his website and giving him a piece of my mind. (I guess that&#39;s why he has a damn duke in his head)
    *Back on topic*
    Did she have any nappies on there?
    www.youtube.com/napngo
    www.myspace.com/chi_style

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast