Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Moderator V@Nov 7 2005, 03:18 PM
    A continuation from Part IV

Hi there! ^_^

Welcome to Nappturality!

Tell us about you, your hair and how you found the site, we'd love to hear your story.

Thanks and enjoy your stay!
    [snapback]1064285[/snapback]

Hey!! I'm Toni, I live in NYC (Brooklyn)and I have
    been a lurker for awhile...finally wanted to step out of the shadows and so here I am! I have been natural for quite sometime--let's see, I think my last real chemical fire cream was back in 1988 or 1987. I was then natural for 2 or 3 years, wearing my hair mainly in a low fade (hey...! it was the 80s!). I loc'd in 1990 or so--and remained that way until March, 2005. I did not cut my locs, but instead embarked on the experiment to 'unloc' them--the thing that every said couldn't be done! Well, I did it--though I would not recommend it to anyone. For me it was just part of the journey, I guess. Anyway--I pretty much love everything about my hair--this site--the folks here. All of it! Nappturality covers so much in the discussion boards, the articles, etc. I am always, always checking in. I truly wish I had the time to look over this entire board from it's inception to now! I found this site after first stumbling upon Ini's site. So glad I did!

Being without a chemical fire cream never really bothered me. Though I have some respect for those who feel they must transition first, and who are not yet fully comfortable without a weak chemical fire cream or whatever. The brainwashing (from society and ourselves) was really deep for many, many of us, and even though it wasn't for me, I was no less surrounded by the propaganda that was/is /was designed to make black folk feel inferior in their own skin. I just never thought at the end of the day, about being accepted or dealing with people's attitude, etc. because of my hair. We all get to where we are going eventually. Coming from chemical fire cream bothered everyone else around me, but me. Hex, I only did it because, it's what (like many) I was taught to do, yet I remember being something like 17 or 18 years old and saying to myself that if I ever have a child (female, specifically) I would never straighten her hair. In fact, i WOULD loc it first, let her live with that crown under my roof, and then, when age appropriate--if she wanted to exchange that crown, for another she could. I don't have any children as yet, but the same idea holds true. It has never left me.

Anyway, the state of my napptural is good! And I would tell anyone who is willing to listen to drop in and lurk (then join) on this site to learn a lot, laugh a lot and generally get to know more about their natural (napptural) selves! Thanks for being here, NP!! :wub:

http://public.fotki.com/AFROKARMA/

[FONT=Optima][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]

"When the music changes, so must the dance"
    [url='http://public.fotki.com/AFROKARMA/']http://public.fotki.com/AFROKARMA/[/url][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello to All,

I'm a married mother of 3 from Tennessee. Tennessee, as some you know, is the chemical fire cream and weave capital of the World. I didn't discuss with anyone my plans to go natural. 3 days before our family's big Fourth of July barbecue last year, I chopped 14 inches of relaxed hair down to 1/4" of spikes. So I transitioned for like 5 minutes. Why did I feel like I had to wear a dress, sandals, dangly pink earrings, and full-face makeup to a family picnic? When I showed up, everybody was stunned about my hair. Most loved it, a lot of jaws dropped open, and there was some sucking of teeth from some of the older ladies. My 19 yr old son said, "Mama you should have asked somebody." I told him I had to do what was best for ME & MY health and that I had to be an example to two young daughters. Needless to say, he loves the look now. On the other hand, my husband is very old school and he still sometimes asks me when I plan to "fix" my hair. I just say it's NOT broken. He'll come around one day. I told him this is not a phase or merely a style, but a commitment and a lifestyle.

I'm so glad I chopped. I feel FREE! Why didn't I do this 20 yrs ago? I found this website through a search about 2 (3?) yrs ago. Thanks to DeeCoily and the members of Nappturality who posted pics and gave me the courage. The deciding factor for me was the fact that everyone looked younger and prettier with their natural hair. I'll post some of my own "before" pictures soon. In the meantime, I took these pics at work today.... http://photobucket.com/albums/d134/Solada/

Much love and thanks to you all!
    Solada

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello...i registered when i first found the site almost two yrs ago, but am now really starting to get into all the forums (kept getting sidetracked by great personal sites, and fotki pages *not complaining*). dont know if i did an intro at any point, but since i'm starting to post now i figured i should:

My name is Adora. I'm a 25 yr old from Chicago. My last perm was in winter of 2002...my hair was in horrible shape. I was in the habit of wearing braids all the time. I routinely permed my hair and within a few days it would be tightly braided--and i'd leave them in for months. So i figured "no ones sees my real hair anyway, why bother perming?" so i just stopped.

i transitioned with the braids, and just keep wearing braids even when all the perm was gone...until this January when i resolved to wear no more braids with extensions. I love the texture of my hair, and I loved how much stronger and healthier it looked, but I was still doing damage to it wearing microbraids ALL THE TIME. I did it for the convience, but also because I didnt know how to do anything to my hair but wash it. It'd been braided so much, i missed that whole figuring out how to do/what works with/on my hair stage. It was frustrating because i was stuck hounding my sister to braid my hair, or trying to find a stylist that wouldnt charge me an arm and a leg.

I decided it was time and that by trial and error I'd figure out what to do. So even though I have been chemical free for almost three years, i really consider myself a napptural of one year because this year has done a lot for me in terms of (personal, as well as hair) growth. i've learned how to twist, cornrow, and braid my own hair. (no big deal for some, but huge for me). it was hard at first, i was definitely walking around lookign BUSTED for a while :doh ...even resorted to wearing a bandana for a few weeks there in the begining *smile*...but i didnt get braids, of which i'm very proud of myself. my hairline seems to be filling in, and i think overall my hair is a little thicker (but then, maybe its just the texture, who knows). regardless, i'm loving my hair, and can't imagine wanting to go back to chemicals.

i love the idea of this board/community...and all these members give me even more pages and fotki albums to drool over/copy hairstyles from/and admire! so i'm loving it, the mods and members get a big :smil3f72836ee752e: from me

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I'm Tiffany. I currently live in N. AL, but am originally from S. Fla. I made decision a couple of month ago to go natural (I've been straightening my hair with lye or no lye fire cream for 12 yrs now). My last chemical fire cream was 08.26.05, and I now have about 1in of new growth. At first I was really scared/nervous about the decision, but now I am really excited to see how my hair will turn out. I'm a bit too scared to do the "big chop" so I am just going to continue to grow it out until I have a good amount of new growth and then cut of the permed ends.

I found this site through a similar group on myspace.com, and I am so glad that I did!!
    Tiffany
    Last r.elaxer: 08.26.05
    BC: 01.22.06
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/TippyT/"]My Journey in Pictures[/url]
    [url="http://picasaweb.google.com/twtorres"]New Year, New Album...Join Me, Won't You! - updated 04/07[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Everyone,

I've been natural for 5 years now. The reason why I went natural in the first place was to regain the thickness in my hair, and HOPE that my hairline grows back (particularly the right side - its completely see thru).

Being a natural for sometime now, I have noticed the harmful affects of the perm, and that one's hair is better left in its natural state. I started to educate myself about the benefits of natural hair, through books and magazines.

I joined this website to gain support for the love of my natural hair. There are not too many people out there that are "nappy friendly", so at times, I may second-guess my choice for choosing to stay 'napptural'. Right about now, I feel as if I'm on the brink of going back to a perm, and I KNOW it's not right for my hair and body. At this very moment I'm wearing a curly weave.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

well I've introduced myself before,but that was awhile ago when I was not very active... :dunno: ...lol...so I guess I should introduce myself again

HI EVERYBODY MY NAME'S BRITTANY ointlaugh:

I'm from Clarksville,Tn....Nashville's baby sister....I have been natural for hmmm goodness...lost track of the time...I did my bc in Feb of this year,but I had been transitioning since may of 04...so u do the math lol...I'm loving my nappy hair...I feel like I'm myself now...everyone around me here has str8 hair so I get funny looks from some ppl and curious looks from others...this one woman came into the front office at my school and asked if she could pat my hair :afro: ...I'm still in school...I'm a senior...I hate it :angry: ,but I have 6 more months to go and I'm out!!!I plan to go to college and major in elementary education...I want to be a teacher....the kids need more ppl like"us" in the classroom...I am a poet...I have been writing for 7 years....short stories and novels(still in the process)...I also sing,but not seriouslly,because that's not my passion,but I do plan on puttin my talent to use...some day...This is my second attempt to being a natural...I tink that this time I'm ready to embrace it forever...I think I didn't last last try because I had no positive influences...or the knowledge of my hair and what it takes to keep it lookin' great...I'm rockin the fro kinda heavy now...I'm thinking on lockin' somewhere down the road....who knows...I found out about this site from my first time trying to go natural...I was just cruisin around on google lol...and came across it...I joined,but soon forgot my screen name and my password...so now I'm back again...ready to be fed ...and hopefully be an inspiration to others....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello I'm soun.
    I am natural since 2001 but before july 2005 I didn't know how to take good care of my natural hair so i braided them a lot, then I found your site and it helped me so much.
    I am living in Paris (my english is not perfect), I'm an african lady and I'm 33.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello:

Although I registered last year while I was still thinking about transitioning from relaxed to natural hair-this is my first post. In the meantime, I had my last chemical on Jan 5th 2005 and my BC on 03/26/05. I have lurked on the site before I thought that it was time to say Hello.

Liz

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, everyone! I'm DC, from Atlanta, GA. I learned of Nappturality from a friend. I've been free and nappy for 1.5 years. I transitioned for about six months before cutting off the relaxed ends in May 2004.

I have learned quite a bit about natural hair care from this site and am so excited to have Nappturality as a resource!

Bravo! :smil3f72836ee752e:

escapevelocity Guest

hey there!! my name is Genee I am from Indiana..not many naps from here I think lol ppl here are so closed minded about hair..anyway..I have been happy to be nappy for years since high school on and off but i always wore braids. Well for some reason last year i decided to straighten the ish outta my hair with a burning chemical which was so pretty and long......it proceded to break off anyway i am back to natural and staying there..looking to get some kinky twists next

holla at ya grrl

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast