User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    vonnie1999 Guest

Exclamation

I actually found nappturality before I cut my hair. I was just looking around on the internet for info on what I call "real" black hair. I was really just tired of feeling like I was living a lie and trying to be something I wasn't. The relaxers were doing so much damage. It became obvious that I really wasn't doing it for me. My husband left for work, my son went to sleep, and it was on! I went in the bathroom and looked at it for a while. The longer I looked the more I wanted to say goodbye. (not w/o fear) I took the sissors and cut one big chunk out of the front. That way I couldn't change my mind. The clippers then took off the rest. I think back to the hair all the time. The natural is definitely so much more enjoyable. It's really short, but not (obviously) as short as when I started. I'm really excited to see the process along. Who knew this would be so fun? I really don't know if I would have done it, had I not found this site. It just gives me strength knowing so many others exist; many others that know they're not "ugly" b/c they don't have long flowing hair. I would never push anyone to do it b/c it is a big step that I feel should be decided personally, but I'm here for anyone who wants to know how it effected me. I LOVE IT AND WILL NEVER GO BACK! I would also not walk in my mother's footsteps and relax my child's hair. I've been getting burned since about age 5 and I just put an end to it at 24! I feel like I just started to live for the first time. :Cool_049:

vonnie1999 Guest

Originally posted by SugarFreeKhandi@Nov 7 2005, 11:48 AM
    <span style='colorurple'>Peace, family.

My name is Meri and I am from NYC, the Bronx to be exact. I have been without a perm for about three years. In a desperate attempt to have a coveted wave pattern, I foolishly gave up three years of being natural and opted for a t e x t u r i z e r, which has been a nightmare. I am now in the process of growing that out and starting over fresh.

I found the site through African-American Moms Online. A member there posted the link.

I am eager to learn more about caring for my natural hair, which was beautiful when I had it, although not the easiest to care for (and I think the difficulty was in not knowing HOW to care for natural hair). Plus, I have a daughter now (she&#39;ll be 2 in January), and I want to care for her hair correctly from the start. I keep her hair in braids, and use "Just For Me" detangler and moisturizing creme on her hair. My 8 year old son has expressed an interest in growing out his hair too. He likes the idea of having braids, but I doubt that he&#39;d be able to sit down and take having his hair braided.

Anyhow, I am glad I joined this forum, and am looking forward to learning!

Be peace,

Meri</span>
    Originally posted by Moderator V@Nov 7 2005, 11:18 AM
    A continuation from Part IV

Hi there! ^_^

Welcome to Nappturality!Â

Tell us about you, your hair and how you found the site, we&#39;d love to hear your story.

Thanks and enjoy your stay!
    [snapback]1064285[/snapback]
    [snapback]1064331[/snapback]

Thanks for the weak chemical fire cream info.

vonnie1999 Guest

Originally posted by lifesjoy@Nov 10 2005, 01:32 PM
    Hi Everyone . . . my name is lifesjoy . . . I&#39;ve recently desided to go napptural. I going for the longer transition period . . . just thinking about cutting my hair is scary but I&#39;m sure that once it starts growing out more I&#39;ll eventually get over it and just do it. I found this site through another message board and I&#39;m just looking for support and inspiration to keep on going. I&#39;m looking forward to not damaging my hair and having strong healthy hair.
    [snapback]1068312[/snapback]
    Keep strong girl! It can be scary but I think all things worth having are worth waiting for!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ladies...my name is Cherrish, and I&#39;m 20 years old. I am attempting for the 2nd time to go natural. About a year and 2 months ago, I did the BC and grew my natural hair out for about 6 months.
    Everyone around me made me feel so unattractive about my natural hair that I relaxed it.
    I was so frustrated at not knowing how to care for my hair and keep it healthy, moisturized and managable that I just gave up.
    I am currently transitioning with about an 1/2 of new growth, and I can already see the beautiful springy curls that I know I will grow to love.

I found this site looking for information about natural hair and how to care for it.
    Last chemical fire cream: 10-08-05
    BC: 04-26-06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by *Sweetie*@Nov 11 2005, 08:09 PM
    Hi ladies...my name is Cherrish, and I&#39;m 20 years old. I am attempting for the 2nd time to go natural. About a year and 2 months ago, I did the BC and grew my natural hair out for about 6 months.
    Everyone around me made me feel so unattractive about my natural hair that I relaxed it.
    I was so frustrated at not knowing how to care for my hair and keep it healthy, moisturized and managable that I just gave up.
    I am currently transitioning with about an 1/2 of new growth, and I can already see the beautiful springy curls that I know I will grow to love.

I found this site looking for information about natural hair and how to care for it.

[snapback]1070092[/snapback]
    ^^there is a wealth of information on this site to explore. Be encouraged and try your best to be patient with yourself.
    Growing springy, coily, cottony, thick Nappaliciousness since 01/98, joined NP 10/23/02

My hair is the combined contribution of all my generations and it is infinitely me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All, I&#39;m Karen and I&#39;m from Toronto, Canada. I have always known that a chemical fire cream was not for me but was always taught that there was no other choice. I knew that everytime I got my hair permed I had to endure some pain. I have hard to relax hair and very sensitive scalp. I have suffered through serious scalp burns and hair loss. I have friends who decided to go natural but quite frankly I was scared. In January of this year, after my last perm(December&#39;04) which resulted in the back of my year falling out, I decided to just cut off all the relaxed ends. I wore braids until this summer, when I decided to go natural. I now have about 41/2 inches of beautiful natural hair that I&#39;m learning how to style. I have not had to do my natural hair since I was 13, so everything is brand new and I&#39;m loving every second of it.

I found this site through a friend who was thinking of ending her 3 yr transition. My first time on here I was so excited that I spent more time on here than I did working that day! I look forward to learning more and it&#39;s so refreshing to be a part of such a wonderful collection of strong women.
    A special thank you to the person who renewed me PANK. Your generousity is truly appreciated.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello All. I&#39;ve recently decided to transiton so I&#39;m only on week 7 :unsure: . I begged my mother for a chemical fire cream at age 15 and I&#39;ve been getting one every since. My hair has always been long but recently it starting breaking due to stress and an unhealthy diet. Coupled with the fact that I am sick :Angry_boese008: of straight hair...I&#39;ve decided to try something new! So this will be not just a journey in learning about my hair but one in learning about myself. Sad to say but I think long hair looks better on me so I don&#39;t know about the BC just yet(one day at a time). Pray for me ya&#39;ll this is going to be hard!
    [color=purple]The Will of God will never take you to where the Grace of God will not protect you.[/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

helloooooooooooooo beautiful, natural people!

i just posted a big novel in the main part of this forum because i didn&#39;t notice the intro section! lol!

anyway, my name is mia. i&#39;m 27 years old. i live in houston, tx. i&#39;ve been natural for about five years now. i found out about this site by doing a google search. i have TONS of questions! i&#39;m a natural girl in need of heeeeeeeeeeelp!!!! to reach my full NAPPtural potential. so that&#39;s why i&#39;m here. looking forward to making some true NAPPtural buddies!

be blessed!

goddess
    [SIZE=3][color=#33CC00]... restoring balance to the universe since 1978 ...[/color][/SIZE]

Flinana Guest

Hi ladies...My name is Michelle, I&#39;m a 48 year old master electrician. I live in the DC area with my husband, another master electrician. I lift weights and run 3-4 time a week. Most people think I&#39;m in my mid 30&#39;s...I have 1 daughter and 3 grandsons.

I decided to go natural after over 30 years of perms in April 04. I went to Jamaica, with some girl friends (because my husband won&#39;t fly) and that was it for me. I had done some traveling but this was the first time everyone looked like me, or I looked like them ... anyway when I returned home I had decided to never put that fire cream in my hair.

Of course, my husband hates it...oh well, he has even cut me off (but we all know this thing does work by hand).... that didn&#39;t last for long....but after a year he&#39;s coming around (I think its because its growing). But I told him this isn&#39;t about you, its for me, I&#39;d like to have hair when I&#39;m 60, thank you very much!!!

I am currently wearing kinky twist, as a protective style, just to get me through the winter. Then who knows what I&#39;ll rock.

I found this site searching during my transition period...and it has been a blessing. You all have been my support for longer than you know. I hardly ever post, but I&#39;m always reading and learning how to better take care of my kinky coils.

Thanks so much ladies...especially Dee

Michelle

tonyelle is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone. I don&#39;t think I have ever introduced myself even though I have been on this site for over a year and a half. My name is really Tonyelle and my story is:

Around May. 04, I was trying to find a website for my cousin&#39;s natural hair. She was bald at the top and it was slowly growing back. I wanted to find something to help her and I came across Nappturality on a Google Search (or Yahoo, can&#39;t remember). I started looking around myself because I had braids at the time and was ready to take them out. I didn&#39;t know I was transitioning, I just had braids as usual. Well, came in and fell in love! I like the hairstyles I seen. I can&#39;t remember who was the first album I looked at, but I think it was Mel&#39;s. I loved her hair and admired her different hair styles. I never knew you could do so much with natural hair. I found this site on May 14 and BCed on May 23rd, all by myself. My fiance&#39; helped trim it a little, but that&#39;s when I started my journery. It was hard for the first couple of months. I wasn&#39;t use to his new state of hair that I haven&#39;t seen in over 15 or more years. All I knew was relaxed hair. I am so happy that I made this decision. I have good days and bad days, but definitely more good than bad. I would tell anyone that is considering it to do it. You won&#39;t regret it!

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast