Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by vnatural@Nov 9 2005, 11:37 PM
    He shouldn't be treated like royalty. He degrades himself and blacks. Sickening. :angry:
    [snapback]1067837[/snapback]
    Well, isn't that the idea? To raise those who disgrace themselves and their own to the ranks of royalty, so that our youth can model their behavior after theirs?

:dunno:
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

- T. E. Lawrence (1888 - 1935)

mstnt is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, isn't that the idea? To raise those who disgrace themselves and their own to the ranks of royalty, so that our youth can model their behavior after theirs?

Exactly to keep the jails full and also the kill each other off-That's the plan people,Ya'll betta get hip and do somethin' we can't afford to keep lookin' up in the sky.
    Brutally Honest

vnatural is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bighair20+Nov 10 2005, 05:41 AM-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-vnatural
    @Nov 9 2005, 11:37 PM
    He shouldn&#39;t be treated like royalty. He degrades himself and blacks. Sickening. :angry:
    Well, isn&#39;t that the idea? To raise those who disgrace themselves and their own to the ranks of royalty, so that our youth can model their behavior after theirs?

[snapback]1067846[/snapback]
    [/b]
    HUH? Oops, I&#39;m sorry, are you a fan? How about, he could be more positive and set more positive examples for young people. I dunno, it seems like his music glorifies violence.
    BLAKPHOENIX

Nappy hair is pelo bueno! Ya heard!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by vnatural+Nov 9 2005, 11:47 PM-->
    Originally posted by bighair20@Nov 10 2005, 05:41 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-vnatural
    He shouldn&#39;t be treated like royalty. He degrades himself and blacks. Sickening. :angry:

Well, isn&#39;t that the idea? To raise those who disgrace themselves and their own to the ranks of royalty, so that our youth can model their behavior after theirs?

HUH? Oops, I&#39;m sorry, are you a fan? How about, he could be more positive and set more positive examples for young people. I dunno, it seems like his music glorifies violence.
    [snapback]1067853[/snapback]
    [/b]

Umm, Ok! Did you misread my post. I think I agreed with you sis. I don&#39;t listen to music.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Goddess. What on earth are these people thinking? (Rhetorical question, I KNOW that they&#39;re thinking about getting paid.) I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve actually heard any of this guy&#39;s &#39;music&#39; and I know I haven&#39;t seen any of his videos. But I&#39;m frustrated and have been frustrated for a while. I&#39;ve been boycotting this stuff for more than a decade now, but obviously when poc only make up 30% of the market buying it, we don&#39;t have very much clout. I&#39;ve called and written radio stations when I&#39;ve heard something offensive, but since I tend not to listen to hip-hop stations I don&#39;t have much of an impact. It&#39;s just so sad and depressing.

I saw a commercial the other day for Lawrence Taylor&#39;s video game. Apparently its hella violent (not surprising) but incredibly sexist too. I&#39;ve only seen the ad, so I don&#39;t know that much about it. But LT is not a freaking kid, he has to know the impact this type of thing has. Why doesn&#39;t anyone care?

vnatural is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bighair20+Nov 10 2005, 06:04 AM-->
    Originally posted by vnatural@Nov 9 2005, 11:47 PM
    Originally posted by bighair20@Nov 10 2005, 05:41 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-vnatural

[snapback]1067853[/snapback]

Umm, Ok! Did you misread my post. I think I agreed with you sis. I don&#39;t listen to music.
    [snapback]1067869[/snapback]
    [/b]
    OK, OK I didn&#39;t understand. My bad. All love. :wub:
    BLAKPHOENIX

Nappy hair is pelo bueno! Ya heard!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Aje_Templar@Nov 10 2005, 12:06 AM
    http://www.50centbulletproof.com

Why on Earth would this cat make a video game of himself going around killing people? This is very disgruntling to me as an uncle, as a youth volunteer and as a black male. As if the battle to save the minds of black boys from i-gotta-be-a-thug-n*****-ism and baby-daddy-ism was not already hard enough, all outlets of mass media are making a hero out of this man whose success was based on him coming from a life of crime off the streets to make raps about how many people he can shoot and blow up.Â

So now he&#39;s putting his poison in an interactive format. Now, not only you can espire to be a thug n***** like Filthy Scent, but you can practice being one on a simulator! And from what I can see, it is mostly black characters on this video game that get shot up and killed.

Â Â

Ok, I&#39;m done venting.

Aje_Templar
    [snapback]1067744[/snapback]
    Fifty Cent is an artist (should he be classified as that?) that I can&#39;t stand. Why he makes me so mad:

1. Fifty Cent Interview w/ Colleges
    This interview, along with aje_templar&#39;s link, got me soooo heated. His web site is just perpetuating (SP?) the cycle of violence in our communities. Take a glimpse at the article. What makes me so mad is that if you read just a little snippet of his interview, you can tell that he&#39;s educated. He&#39;s more eloquent with his speech than 90% of the rappers in the game. He&#39;s not ignorant-Filthy Scent knows exactly what he&#39;s doing and he is aware of the negative image he portrays. He&#39;s purposely polluting the Black male community for the sake of money. He&#39;s getting rich but it&#39;s others who are dying. :angry: I WILL NOT SUPPORT HIM IN ANY WAY, FORM ,OR FASHION!
    [b][SIZE=2]"Sista big bones/ Can a brotha walk you home?"- Anthony Hamilton[/SIZE][/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

RE: his son watching his videos

HC: So are you saying that when you let him experience your art, you’re also giving him guidance and telling him that misogamy is not acceptable, and neither is violence, so you’re adding that commentary?

50: Do you think misogamy is the definition of “Disco Inferno’s” video?

HC: Well, you said it’s pretty graphic. It portrays women as objects.

50: Ok, check this out, right: “Disco Inferno” is actually shot in a strip club. So you’re saying our adult entertainment business shows women as objects? There’s a strip club in every town, in every city that you go through, with women on the table right now. If there wasn’t a market for it, it wouldn’t be there. It’s government legal, generates revenue, everybody’s cool with it. It’s adult entertainment. But when you put it in a music video, it’s misogamy, I guess.
    He actually asked that question (bolded part)?

But I have to agree with what he said right after this. Because we can&#39;t rant and rave about this without ranting and raving about violence in other films and videos.
    HC: I think the difference is that you have a bigger audience.

50: A bigger audience. See, that right there is what I’ve been hearing all week. My advertisement on my film posters, right, I have a gun in one hand and a microphone in the other. How often have you seen guns utilized as a marketing tool for action films, or films period? A billion times. If you walk into Blockbuster, you’ll see guns probably more than you’ll see people. At the end of the day, they place different standards on music as an art form. Because I’m coming from music, they want to place those standards on me, like there’s different things in film that I’m able to do that they’ll object to immediately because (of) their perception of me. At the end of the day, it’ll generate more interest for me and makes me even more successful because they place those standards (on it).
    AmeriKKKa doesn&#39;t seem to rant and rave when the violence is coming from "a person not of our race". <_<
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn&#39;t surprise me at all. Thanks to my 10 year old son I&#39;ve known about this video game long before there was mass advertising campaign.

When he first came out I couldn&#39;t stand him---and today I still can&#39;t. People looked at me like I was crazy when I said he was wack. I can not listen to someone that does nothing but degrade the black community our leaders have worked so hard to build.

What&#39;s more disturbing is the fact that he is an icon (for some unknown reason) here in CT. I have to fight everyday for my son NOT to be taken in by his B.S. As a single parent it is VERY hard to keep my son completely unaware. For that point, I do not let my son listen to him at all...whenever commercials for his movie come on I turn (the tv channel or radio channel). My son knows how I feel about Mr. Jackson and I&#39;ve explained to him why I feel the way I do. My son&#39;s learning to see things deeper than face value. And that&#39;s my job as a parent---to continue to show him how to investigate for himself. If all parents took the time out to teach rather than just tell I don&#39;t believe these so called role models would have such a hold over our children.

BE BLESSED
    Natural since 10/04
    Loc'd since 10/09
    BLESSed since birth!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand what he&#39;s saying about if we are going to question his videos and image, then we should do the same to movies. I would have to say, however, why would you pull yourself from the lowest levels of society just to turn around and glorify it? I don&#39;t understand, and I know it&#39;s about making money. But I ask you, is it not time for us to be viewed as more than gangstas, killers? Like it or not anytime you are in the public&#39;s eye you become a role model. So why not glorify giving back to the community, loving God, changing your life (and I don&#39;t mean having some fat butt chick running around in your videos).

It&#39;s like saying, Oh don&#39;t blame me for killing I&#39;m only doing what I was taught, or what I saw around me. It is never an excuse, the life that he so desperately tried to leave is what is making him rich, I don&#39;t get it. Eminem grew up in a low class part of Detroit in a trailer park. Yeah he made a movie about it, ok, but he is not perpetuating that life style he loath inorder to turn a profit. How many times will he use that story of being shot to make money. That mess is not cool to me at all. It&#39;s funny that we are the only group of people it seems who thinks it&#39;s gangsta to be near death, on drugs, glorifying street life. When is it going to be Gangsta to get a degree, give back to the Black community?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast