Thread: Clay?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read on another forum that a lot of nappies use clay as a hair mask. Has anyone done this? Is it just like a flour smoothing? Does clay give anything special to the hair?
    The feminine mystique has succeeded in burying millions of American women alive.

Betty Friedan

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhassoul is a good one for hair. Use Google to research on the properties.
    [SIZE=2]Akua
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=Sienna][URL="http://akuawood.blogspot.com/"]my blog : [/URL]
    [/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=Blue][URL="http://www.facebook.com/sheabuttercottage"]on facebook[/URL][/COLOR][/B]
    [/SIZE] [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE][URL="http://www.themumpreneurconference.co.uk/nominations.html"]
    [/URL]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree; I used to use Africa Spa Hair & Body mud.. It contains Rhassoul Mud, but I have not been able to find it lately. I recently ordered some Dead Sea mud from FNWL, so I'll see how that works.
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SouthernShorty@Nov 13 2005, 11:27 AM
    I agree; I used to use Africa Spa Hair & Body mud.. It contains Rhassoul Mud, but I have not been able to find it lately. I recently ordered some Dead Sea mud from FNWL, so I'll see how that works.
    [snapback]1071488[/snapback]

http://www.treasuredlocks.com/treasu...ks/hurhcl.html

I just found it there after googling.

This is the 1st time am hearing of this clay though. Am definitely checking more into it.

You learn something new in here everyday.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TreasuredLocks has outstanding customer service. :2cents:
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by struggling_cherub@Nov 13 2005, 04:15 AM
    I just read on another forum that a lot of nappies use clay as a hair mask. Has anyone done this? Is it just like a flour smoothing? Does clay give anything special to the hair?
    [snapback]1071266[/snapback]
    This is what I found somewhere else. Interesting...

Clay mask is used for deep cleansing and it also extracts impurities from hair.

The ghassoul (Rhassoul) is excellent strengthening for hair. Advised for the fatty hair, it degreases without pickling nor to damage, cleanses the scalp and controls the secretion of sebum while reviving the brilliance of the hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shulta has a product advertised on her site containing Rhassoul clay although she has not opened yet but hopefully it will be soon as I really want to try it.
    My Fotki

Why are you trying so hard to blend in when you were born to stand out

makeba is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i saw this about the clay in bold face so be careful
    Limit to 1 application per week. Do not use for sensitive or dry skin types.

Uses: Suitable for Normal and Oily Skin/Hair Types

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by makeba@Nov 14 2005, 12:14 AM
    i saw this about the clay in bold face so be careful

Uses: Suitable for Normal and Oily Skin/Hair Types
    [snapback]1072057[/snapback]
    Oh yeah, I think I've seen the same information but it is for Moroccan Red Clay not Rhassoul. This is the difference:

- Kaolinite aka: Moroccan Red Clay
    Moroccan Red Clay
    kaolinite
    Moroccan red comes from deep below the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. This clay is a strong cleansing clay that will draw excess oils from the skin, stimulate circulation to the skin, and act as a powerful astringent for oily skin and hair. It is used in many spas around the world. Use it in facials and body wraps. Moroccan red clay also makes a nice natural color additive for soaps and powders.
    http://www.alpinenaturals.com/powders.html

- Rhassoul - this is my favourite and it is the most versitile - I use this in my cubes & hearts. My supplier extracts Rhassoul from the Atlas mountains of Eastern Morocco. He tells me that the actual word comes from the Arabic phrase meaning "to be washed". Here is some more information about it and the ref website link below.
    Moroccan LAVA
    A truly exquisite spa quality clay from ancient deposits unearthed from the fertile Atlas mountains of Morocco. Rhassoul is a mineral rich, reddish brown clay that blends extremely well with water making its application to the face and skin a smooth and delightful experience. High in silica, magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, and sodium, this clay is surely one of the finest treasures for pampering your skin. Its extraordinary power of absorption makes it more effective than other clays for cleansing, de-toxification, and general skin treatment. It can be used as soap, skin conditioner, shampoo, and facial and body mask. It washes like soap and leaves a unique, sweet scent on the skin.
    Taken from: http://www.alpinenaturals.com/powders.html

It really depends on the type of clay you are using & what you are using it for.
    I have never heard of Rhassoul being an irritant and have all my products reviewed by a cosmetic consultant in France & then certified by a chemist - something would have been mentioned to me regarding the labelling part of my PIF when I submit my recipe for safety assessement & certification. However, the condish I make is a deep conditioner *not* intended to be used everyday - only once every 2 weeks or 4 weeks as a deep treatment - depending on the amount of conditioning your hair requires.

Here's some more information on clays:
    http://www.kitsforcrafts.com/info_ce...play.asp?id=10 -> Handmade skin care for kids that kids can make - this one is fun!

- White Amazonian Clay - According to the manufacturers specification:
    The clay is an oleaginous soil that has a great number of shades, depending of the origin.
    It is a natural product, very rich in mineral salts, that take the toxines to the skin surface
    removing them. Rich in iron, aluminium, potassium, calcium, boron, sulphur, clay was quite
    popular natural therapy, well-know for its beneficial effects in headache and stress
    illnesses.
    There is an active clay native from the Amazon called AMAZONIAN WHITE CLAY.
    Brazilian indians used geotherapy very often, clay may protect them against skin problems
    and to protect them from biting insects.
    This Amazonian clay is the result of the dissociation of the Amazon organic products
    where unsaponifiable fractions of these products are retained, there is to say, they are
    absorbed by that clay type.
    Therefore, they are full of nutrients that combat free radicals and they channelize positive
    energy.
    This product is effective when its drying is made by sunshine to energize it.

The AMAZONIAN WHITE CLAY can be applied in natural treatments with the following
    properties:
    * Relaxation
    * Skin regeneration
    * Hydration
    * Cleaning

Suggested Applications
    * Face pack is suggested between 15 to 50%
    * Body pack is suggested between 15 to 50%
    * Skin and body products such as regeneration, cleaning, hydration and others are
    suggested between 3 to 10%
    - Volclay - Classified as sodium bentonite, mined & has the consisting of micro fine particles and supplied as a free-flowing powder. It's used as a suspending agent, viscosifier, binder and emulsion stabilizer for cosmetics.

There are other clays like that you can research and try out:

- Montmorillonite (red, blue or green)

- Bentonite (various available)

- Multani Mitti

- Rose

- French Green Clay

- Kaolin Clay (Pink, Red, White, Yello)

- Rose clay or pink clay

- Dead Sea Black Mud aka: Edom Black Mud

- Illite

HTH

15% off for NP members enter code -> i am beautiful <-