Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I have had natural hair for two years now and I wanted to see how long it would be if I straighting it. So like a dummy I ordered the maxi glide and it came with this stuff called beyond straight. SO I used and when I wet my hair to get it back nappy it would not nap back up! I've tried wetting it everyday the roots curled back up but most of my ends are still straight. I went to a hairdresser and she said as most hairdresser do that I would have to either cut it all off or grow it out. Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do. I am in dier need of help I loved my natural hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:hug: Unfortunately your hairdresser is right. If only you had come here before doing it. You have seen many threads warning against it and topics similiar to yours. Two years is a long time, but you'll get it back and will have learned a lesson.
    PROUD SAHM,USMC WIFE, & USAF VETERAN

morena23 Guest

Hm.... sorry to hear about this.

I noticed that the last time that I pr.essed my hair, there was a piece in the back that just stayed straight... so... after 7 months of wearing braids and regular conditioning, it did curl back up, but, heat is still VERY DAMAGING and I've heard of many people who went a whole year with a straight piece or pieces of hair that just had to get them CHOPPED OFF.

The times that I got my hair p.ressed in a salon, I never had any problems, just the time that I did it myself.

But still, heat can cause invisible damage that may not manifest itself as permanently straight hair, but as split ends or severe dryness.

The point is: if you want your hair to stay nappy, don't use heat. This also means blow drying as many blow dryers can get just as hot as curlers or h.ot combs.

Condition for awhile, if that doesn't work, wear protective styles until you are comfortable enough to cut off the straight pieces.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry that happened to you but you only have two choices, either cut it off or let it grow out. Sorry I wasn't much help. NP can help you a lot. You're in the right place! Welcome!

Chelci
    Hair Photos: http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums/t497/ChelWren
    Crafts & Fitness Tumblr: http://omystitch.tumblr.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try a series of protein treatments but I would just trim off the damaged area in stages.

momi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!Wow: Just one time with a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture and flat all over???

Is this the only heat you have used in these two years?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting. I think it might have been the "Beyond Straight" that really caused this seemingly permanent straightness.

I have a couple of girlfriends who've been natural for years and they get their hair flat ironed 1 or 2 times per year. Neither of them has had the problems that y'all described. I'm thinking it might be because they've had it done by nap-friendly hair stylists who knew that they didn't want permanently straight tresses.

Anyway, I hope you're able to get your kinks back!
    - Jaime

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!Wow: Just one time with a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture and flat all over???

Is this the only heat you have used in these two years?
    [/b]
    No. last year around this time I burnt my hair but it went right back to its natural state when it got wet.

I have had natural hair for two years now and I wanted to see how long it would be if I straighting it. So like a dummy I ordered the maxi glide and it came with this stuff called beyond straight. SO I used and when I wet my hair to get it back nappy it would not nap back up! I've tried wetting it everyday the roots curled back up but most of my ends are still straight. I went to a hairdresser and she said as most hairdresser do that I would have to either cut it all off or grow it out. Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do. I am in dier need of help I loved my natural hair.
    [/b]
    Thank you all for your help and support!!!!! God Bless!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the reason your hair is still straight is because of the beyond straight. if you go to the website you will see that it says that it is a temporary straightener

"Beyond Straight

A humidity resistant temporary straightener with wheat protein and themnal protection.

• Go straight, reduce frizz, and relax curls
    • A natural blend of matricaria, kiwi, and henna (neutral) adds conditioning.
    • Use with a blow dryer alone or together with a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture for optimum control and added manageability
    • Humidity resistant"

so i suppose there is a possibility that it might go back to it's natural state but when ever you see "straightener" that is a problem. you have basically relax.ed your hair. i say call the maxiglide people and see when it should "wear off". the reality is that you may never get your texture back comepletely because this is a straightener.

good luck. i'm sorry this happened to you.
    last perm: March 05
    BC: June 05

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humidity resistant..have you washed your hair recently? With shampoo, not conditioner. And wheat protein..I think you should shampoo. Probably clarify. Then see what happens.
    [color=#660066][i]I believe your promise is too hard to give me courage.
    All with my feelings...
    the precious time seeing you.

I'm marching on...[/i]
    [b]TiA - Ryuusei (Shooting Star) - Naruto 6ED theme[/b][/color]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Only1biancab/keikoxmew2.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast