Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was passing by Aveda and decided to stop in quickly to schedule a consultation, but they saw me right then. I wanted a professional opinion on the health of my hair. She said my hair was in pretty good condition but that I needed to use protein. I went from using protein (nothing heavy like aphogee) weekly to once a month because I didn't think that I needed it, but I may add it back in again. Are there any naturals out there that regularly use protein? What has it done for your hair?

BreezySeas Guest

Well I use a product founded by Cathy Howse www.ubhpublications.com
    I think it has protein in it. (Not a whole lot) and I use it once a week. I do this to keep my hair strong. When I relaxed my hair I only used Aphogee every 6-8 weeks because my hair was so damaged. I do not think I will every use Aphogee again b/c my hair is not damaged and it is natural. The protein in my deep conditioner is enough. I honestly think that you do not need a lot of protein since protein makes your hair hard and I do not know about you but hard hair all the time is something I do not want to deal with. (just my two cents)

Niya is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think a natural needs weekly protein, unless colored or they use a lot of heat.

if you go that route, just use a light protein, instead of a heavy one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not done a protein treatment in months. But when I notice too much of my fragile hair coming out in my hands I do an Aphogee treatment. I follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. I would suggest getting to know what your hair likes. I do not believe that natural hair needs a lot of protein to be healthy. Maybe every other month or every few months if your hair shows signs of breakage.
    A woman who tells you her age will tell you anything

temfash is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Aphogee 2 min reconstructor every 4-6weeks.
    Nappy for life

sweetwhisper Guest

I use Aphogee 2 min reconstructor every 4-6weeks.
    [/b]
    I use it the same, but i used it for around a month everyweek! I use a light protein spray everyday. My hair likes it though, but i don't think its for everyone.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when it comes to protein, i'm a complete novice.

i've always been a little hesitant to use it, i'd heard it made your hair hard. Which I dont need, because i have dry hair to begin with.
    I have some reconstructor at home (they usually have protein in them right?) that i bought months back but wasnt sure how to use.

For you ladies that do protein treat, when in your regimen do you use it? before or after pretreatment/wash/ or conditioner?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I started noticing breakage around my hairline, I started using abba nourishing (which has moderate proteins) and I saw a difference. IA w/ Clover re: getting to know what your hair likes. Take a look at your current products to see what you can use. Maybe a leave in with proteins, only on freshly washed hair?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I started noticing breakage around my hairline, I started using abba nourishing (which has moderate proteins) and I saw a difference. IA w/ Clover re: getting to know what your hair likes. Take a look at your current products to see what you can use. Maybe a leave in with proteins, only on freshly washed hair?
    [/b]
    Please tell me more about abba nourishing.I'm having breakage in the front of my hiar (temple areas) Is it is a conditioner?What is the name on the body?What are the ingriedients?Where can I find it for cheap?TIA

Big Chop: February 2004
    Last Perm: Mid 2003

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think light protein (anything other than hydrolyzed keratin) is safe for regular use, and anything heavy (with hydrolyzed keratin) should be used sparingly. I think the keratin is the only protein that can "grab onto" hair and fill it in.