Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before going natural my hair was sooooo thin and unhealthy. That was three years ago. Now I am almost 6 months into locing I am a little concerned about my results.

I lurk at photos of locs and wonder why some folks locs are so full and lucious where as mine seem so limp and void of life. Don't get me wrong my hair is healthy but why are my locs so thin. If I combine some of my locs would I get a fuller look.

I asked the lady who started my locs and she told me as they get older they will thicken up. Is this true?

Another thing is my hair doesn't really look like locs, instead it looks to me as if I have curly twist or something. Could it be because I started with the latch hook method and the ends are still loose and will take time to loc.

Well any kind of comments are welcome at this point. My mom told me my hair looks like white folks locs because of my hair type. I need help before I go crazy worrying about my hair.
    http://public.fotki.com/MsMila

I be a chameleon and wear it bone straight
    But it's so much stronger when it's in its natural state "Donnie"

Peace and Blessings

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry I don't have and advice for you, I'll leave that up to the experts.

I just want to say that I think your hair looks great, I just love the colour in the newer pics.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thin hair and thin spots. I have sixty or so locks which I have had to combine because the roots are thin. Locks take years to mature, and it hasn't even been six months for you yet. Many people find that their locks change in shape, thickness and texture over time. The best thing you can do for yourself and your locks is to stop worrying and give them time to mature. Don't despair if they don't look like other people's locks because like a snowflake, no two sets of locks are exactly alike.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thin hair and thin spots. I have sixty or so locks which I have had to combine because the roots are thin. Locks take years to mature, and it hasn't even been six months for you yet. Many people find that their locks change in shape, thickness and texture over time. The best thing you can do for yourself and your locks is to stop worrying and give them time to mature. Don't despair if they don't look like other people's locks because like a snowflake, no two sets of locks are exactly alike.
    [/b]
    Could not have said it better. Give them time.
    You Have to Guard the Love You Find- And Overcome the Hate that Finds you. (Eva Ruthland)

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Trying to Live Stress Free

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, I think your hair looks great and should thicken up nicely, that said I don't know much about latching. I twisted my last set of locs and twisted my current set until I was able to start palm rolling a little bit ago. As an experiment a couple months ago I latched a handful of locs once because they kept coming out. What I found in those locs may interest you. Above the latched portion where I twisted with my fingers and below where I palm rolled is much thicker than the latched portion. There are two locs in the back that were latched to the end, they are MUCH finer and tighter than their neighbors, they are also the only parts fully loced on my head. I never relatched once I saw how small my locs were in those couple spots since I like thick locs. I think latching helps the hair loc faster in some types of hair and it prevents unraveling. It also looks great on some people but I also think it prevents some of the poof that happens with other methods. The couple locs that I latched are fuller at the base now that I palm roll and I plan to trim those ends eventually since they are almost cooked. After twisting my locs look pretty fine then within two days they poof to about twice the thickness. If my locs follow the same pattern as my past locs, they will contract appearing thinner and shorter in the next few months only to get fatter a year or so later. I love perfect small uniform locs on others and latching seems to give that appearance, but on me perfect thin locs just look odd. If my parts were 50% bigger I think latched would look the same in size as the smaller parts palm rolled. I would consider palm rolling or twisting, then allow your locs to go crazy even if you have to wear a hat for a few weeks before your next maintenance. The more often I allow my hair to get really really messy the better my locs look at the next upkeep. But it has meant a fortune in hats, yarn for tams and head wraps. I don't know if any of that helps but it is just my 2-cents

I just took another look at your album and enlarged the pictures. They don't look thin at all and actually look fuller than mine. I think your hair is liking whatever you are doing and they should look fuller as they continue to grow and change.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/quotidianlight

http://twitter.com/quotidianlight

http://public.fotki.com/quotidianlight/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think your hair looks very nice....I think you will be pleased with how it thickens up over the next six months or so.....I have hair that is a little on the thin, soft side also and mine thickened up quite a bit with time. In looking at your pictures your hair is more dense then mine, so I think it will be fine....have patience The new color is fly by the way!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the replies. You have really put my mind at ease. I guess being around all non naturals who don't know jack about locs got the best of me. But again thanks for all your comments.

Patience is a virtue, and you must have patience with locs.

By the way quotidianlight I only started by latching and every since then I have been doing finger twist.
    http://public.fotki.com/MsMila

I be a chameleon and wear it bone straight
    But it's so much stronger when it's in its natural state "Donnie"

Peace and Blessings

OFF THE WALL....where the sun always shines
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the replies. You have really put my mind at ease. I guess being around all non naturals who don't know jack about locs got the best of me. But again thanks for all your comments.

Patience is a virtue, and you must have patience with locs.

By the way quotidianlight I only started by latching and every since then I have been doing finger twist.
    [/b]

I agree.Each persons hair is different.I have been locing for six months and my hair looks like locs but maybe that's because i have very coarse hair.My hair is very fine but thin and I am very pleased with how they have thickened .Be patient and enjoy the journey

alma Guest

[/b]
    I agree.

My hair is naturally thin so when I started the loc process I was worried about it too. Over time I had to join to get the roots to a good size because of the thin hair and I don't have nearly as many locs as other people ....

With patience, your babylocs will mature and grow into unique mature locs. I think your locs look great as they are now, look forward to all the wonderful changes ahead.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also agree that each head is different. my pre-loc hair was on the thin side also and i also started with latching. i have been locing for 8 months and i have thickened up some. check out my album if you have time. i also really think this is a process and what you start with will definitly evolve. keep your chin up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast