Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started and owned a successful natural hair salon (www.adaru.com) at a young age - 24, and it's received local and national attention and really taught me a lot since. One of the biggest blessings I experienced was working in an actual well-known natural hair salon for a year before I got started. Also, I don't do hair personally (although i know how to) so I gathered more experience on the business side, and would recommend the following:
    1. Work (for free if necessary) in an established natural hair salon
    2. Interview other salon owners and ask them detailed questions about what they've learned
    3. Carry a strong product line, and switch up the display often. More than 50% of the sales of a profitable will come from products, including tools, extensions if you wish, and commercial products
    4. Visit as many natural hair salons as possible, and know everything about your competition
    5. Save money now. Financing is easier to obtain from private investors, especially if you can say you already have 50% saved
    6. Visit SCORE and have them review your business plan (www.score.org)
    7. Take a marketing course or complete degree work in marketing and finance, as those are two of the top areas that most successful salon owners are well versed in
    8. Get used to creating your own hype. Develop your brand, stick with it, and let everyone know about it. Read Make a Name for Yourself by Robin Fisher Roffer - it's excellent!

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions, and blessings to you!!
    [SIZE=2][b][url="http://www.youtube.com/nappturousdiva"]Natural? Check out my NAPPTUROUS VIDEO Channel![/url]
    [url="http://www.myspace.com/executivemarketinggroup"]Nappturous Diva's MYspace[/url][/b][/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings,

Please sign up for updates of my e-books

Indigofera's Business Manual for Natural Hair Care: a Holistic Approach

Seven Gems for Entrepreneurial Success

by Chanelle Washington

newsletter link

In the meantime visit the beauty blog for practical tips and workshop info

Peace, Power, & Plenty
    Phillyflower

NOW, MY MOTHER ALREADY HAS TWO PERMIE SALONS OF HER OWN, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO VENTURE INTO THIS FIELD MYSELF. NOW, I'M ONLY 20 AND I HAVE NO MONEY. I'M THINK BY THE TIME I'M 25 I CAN HAVE IT UNDERWAY. BUT I DONT KNOW THE FIRST THING TO DO NOW. WHAT CAN I DO NOW TO START. AND DONT SAY SAVE, SAVE , SAVE. CAUSE I KIND OF FIGURED THAT PART OUT ALREADY. :rolleyes: LOL
    [/b]

I started and owned a successful natural hair salon (www.adaru.com) at a young age - 24, and it's received local and national attention and really taught me a lot since. One of the biggest blessings I experienced was working in an actual well-known natural hair salon for a year before I got started. Also, I don't do hair personally (although i know how to) so I gathered more experience on the business side, and would recommend the following:
    1. Work (for free if necessary) in an established natural hair salon
    2. Interview other salon owners and ask them detailed questions about what they've learned
    3. Carry a strong product line, and switch up the display often. More than 50% of the sales of a profitable will come from products, including tools, extensions if you wish, and commercial products
    4. Visit as many natural hair salons as possible, and know everything about your competition
    5. Save money now. Financing is easier to obtain from private investors, especially if you can say you already have 50% saved
    6. Visit SCORE and have them review your business plan (www.score.org)
    7. Take a marketing course or complete degree work in marketing and finance, as those are two of the top areas that most successful salon owners are well versed in
    8. Get used to creating your own hype. Develop your brand, stick with it, and let everyone know about it. Read Make a Name for Yourself by Robin Fisher Roffer - it's excellent!

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions, and blessings to you!!
    [/b]

Great advice Sis

I love being 100% Entrepreneur!
    Be Radiantly Beautiful

PM for my blog address or any questions

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ladies!

I am currently in hair school in Memphis, TN. I was lucky enough to find a black-owned cosmetology school with a Natural Hair Stylist program....wow! There are no requirements for the state of TN to become a hair braider, however, there are some officials pushing for a braider's certificate. I think the cost is only going to be $25.00. The Natural Hair Stylist program is 300 hours. In this program, you learn sew-in weaving, hair briading-individuals & cornrowing, fusion, styling...a wide variety of things. But most importantly, you learn to care for natural hair. I think that if you are going to be trusted on someone's precious natural hair that they have taken the time to grow, that you should be as educated as possible in your line of work. As stated before, you have to look at your state requirements. For those of you in Memphis, or just interested in finding out about potential requirements, this is the link to the requirements from state board in TN:

http://www.state.tn.us/commerce/boards/cosmo/index.html

By day, I work for a large pharmaceutical company and never imagined opening a salon or even doing hair. Then again, I thought I would never go natural :P But I am making the steps to open this salon in 2008. So stick to your dreams and by all means...fulfill them.

Have a blessed day!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting this information! Great resources

Greetings,

Please sign up for updates of my e-books

Indigofera's Business Manual for Natural Hair Care: a Holistic Approach

Seven Gems for Entrepreneurial Success

by Chanelle Washington

newsletter link

In the meantime visit the beauty blog for practical tips and workshop info

Peace, Power, & Plenty
    Phillyflower
    Great advice Sis

I love being 100% Entrepreneur!
    [/b]
    color=#FF99FF]NEW PHOTO ALBUM~CHECK ME OUT [/color] ~[url]http://public.fotki.com/belovedhairgirl[/url]

JAN 14~HAIR LENGTH~3.5 INCHES

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123