Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asalamu Alaikum,

"Cultivated" Locs are exactly what they sound like. Locs that have been nurtured and refined to grow a certain way. The hair is washed and the spot where each loc grows is chosen. This is the opposite of what I guess you can call "un-cultivated" dreadlocks which are allowed to grow where they grow, so to speak.

Wa Salaam

Midoria
    REAL sisters stop crying, grab a foot, and help get the nun off the road...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pious did you author that response or was it from some one else? Also you forgot to state the names of those scholars who consider locs haram. barakallahu feeki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

op: op: Interesting...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI- lol
    I was trying to lock my hair before...but then I decided to take it out..and I cut my hair off
    Interestingly enough w/that...my take has changed w/that...and that is only b/c of my views on my hair!
    I had a semi-natural(semi kinky semi straight) hair w/straight hair in the middle of some sections w/kinky curly ends(Baaad chemical fire cream)...and I thought locks would save my hair from breaking off.
    However my hair was looking crazy..w/twists looking plump..then thin...then plump again..
    Lol-I had done them myself..and when I washed my hair stayed in tact..but so did a lot of the gunk/products and dirt.
    So I was finally like..look at this head...I think I'm going to take this out..and then I asked my wali(guardian) abt locks..he said they were haram..b/c they r from the kuffar (wallahu ta'ala alim) and that he had some B4(lol)..and that his were very clean w/washing..but still kept a lot of stuff in them..that he saw when he chopped them off..
    So needless to say..it was easier for me to take the ruling then, when I was already contemplating removing the old twists.(Go figure lol)

LoL this site is soo funny..I wrote the rela**r word but it inserted 'chemical fire cream' - cute
    “… it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allaah knows but you do not know.”

[al-Baqarah 2:216]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Rastas 'stole' dreadlocks from soldiers who came from KENYA and tried to make it their own. Even today if you have dreads, Rastas will say you are stealing something that was sacred, but historically they cannot lay claim to the procurement of dreadlocks!! This is why it's important to understand history when considering these things.

[/b]

Rastas did not steal anything. Rasta is just continuing the style worn by many african warriors and holy men in the past. Any rasta with true overstanding will never try to lay claim to being the inventors of dread locks. The inventor is the one tru Jah. I think you should study history a little more before making such blanket statements.

Blessed...

www.Dialectweb.com log on....

Midoria is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rastas did not steal anything. Rasta is just continuing the style worn by many african warriors and holy men in the past. Any rasta with true overstanding will never try to lay claim to being the inventors of dread locks. [/b]

Notice I put the world "stole" in parentheses.

Also if what you say is true, then you have a lot of uneducated Rasta folks walking around. I'm only repeating what I've heard Rastas (or those from places where Rastafarianism is common) say. They seem to think they have the "lock down". When I was in college, locked heads and Rastas used to get into it because they felt that Non-Rastas “didn't understand the spirituality of having dreads" and that they were "using something sacred as a fashion trend". As I said before, they do tend to act as though they have sole claim to dreads when Indians, Africans, and even Arabs have been wearing them for ages.

Midoria

REAL sisters stop crying, grab a foot, and help get the nun off the road...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer that question sister, My husband typed it. He didnt take it or steal it from anyone. I knew it was haram, but i didnot know where to find all the information from. So I asked my husband and he knew, and in instead of him telling me what to type and me type it. He just typed it after i put the sentences i knew down. This knowledge came from what he has learned over the years. If i dont know it, I will ask my husband, if he dosent know it or its not in anyone of our books that we have on our bookshelf, he will then ask his teacher.My husband is a student and has studied under a Scholar for many years and is still studing.We both are. I only knew a couple sentences and typed. it. Im still new to the religion, almost 2years in(i guess thats not that new) I got my information from 2 scholars that I know Brother Jamal(I dont know his last name) and another Brother that my husband is studying under) His name is Mutfi Muhammad Yusef. They are both scholars,They have been teachers for over 20 plus years. They follow the hanafi medhad.
    [url="http://www.snugglepie.com"][img]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/489508.png[/img][/url]

[url="http://www.baby-gaga.com/"][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/foxfoxard20070322_-8_My%20child%20is.png[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: R Locks/'dread'locks Halal Or Haram

Quote Originally Posted by muslikeena View Post
    Hello everyone,

this is a question posted mainly for the muslims (assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh!) but anyone can put in their :2cents:

Is dreadlocks or locks haram/halal? This is a topic I wanted to post for a while now....what do u think? Do u have any proofs(daleel) for your opinions? Please post any dalil from the Quran and sunnah insha'allah(God Willing).

The things that I have heard about locks for why it is haram is because

- (they say)it is immitation of the kufar(non muslims) {the Scholars use the Hadeeth from Sunnan Abu Dawood "Man tashabbuha biqaumin fahuwa minhum." ("Whoever imitates a nation is one of them.")}

- that it is from Rastafarians

- and that it makes water unable to reach the scalp during ghusl(ritual full bath)

- Some ppl say that locks r unclean and therefore contradict us trying to make wudu..ghusl etc.

* From my standpoint, all of these can be refuted by the common (well in some cases..not so common) knowledge (well at least around natural blk ppl)
    *Most naturals know that locks didn't begin w/Rastafarianism (as it is a ancient hairstyle..and traditional Rasta locks r different from cultivated locks)
    *Nearly every hairstyle (that is worn by Muslims and non Muslims alike) was 'originated' by non Muslims (relaxers <_<, braids, etc.) *also.. Many muslimahs wear locks
    *Water reaches the scalp of cultivated locks very easily(better than some loose afro's! :afro: )
    making ghusl no problem
    *It is not a condition of wudu or ghusl that u "shampoo/wash" ur hair....only the water has to reach ur scalp...and it isn't a condition for those that ur hair be 'clean'
    *All hair gets 'dirt' in it (w/loose hair don't ppl put stuff into it soon after its washed..(gunk that becomes dirt)) and even after its washed there is sometimes stuff left in the hair/scalp
    * PPl of all religions wear locks...christians, Jews, Muslims, Rastas, atheist, etc. - It isn't a signifier of faith anymore

Here r some hadeeth/fatawa abt hair:

*(here is a fatawa-religious ruling-read the hadeeths and the saying of Sheikh Uthaymeen (rahimahullah))

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=69822&dgn=4

*(this is abt immitating the disbelievers)

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...&QR=21694&dgn=3

*(these r miscalaneous hadeeth abt hair)

http://muttaqun.com/hair.html
    I saw this on another hair care site... Every time I change my hair to locs my stylist or hair blogger shows up in a different religion... right now it's yoga... and I can't find my old stylist Pamela Muhammad... last time it was Buddhism...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12