Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Nappturality,

I have been wondering if I have hard water. Because my hair almost acts like conditioner just doesn't do much of anything. I bought the same condtioner that my stylist uses and it worked wonderfully at the salon and didn't work at home.

Anyhoo, I was wondering what the real deal is with the hard water issue. If any of you had hard water and then got soft water later or got some kind of filter did it make a dramatic difference???
    What did you notice about the hard water???

How important is it to have soft water or at least filtered water.

carmenjones Guest

The water at my home in St. Louis is excellent. The water where I go to school is hard as a rock.

All I know is...when I'm at home, all my (nappy approved ^_^ ) products work fabulously and my curls bounce off the walls and look beautiful. When I'm at school, I can't even put gel on my hair, it dries it out so much. I have to slather conditioner on and even that doesn't stop my hair from being dry.

I HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hard water! I can't wait to graduate and get away from this place! I know a lot of girls here who buy bottled water by the gallon and wash their hair with that (it's that serious around these parts). Soft water is the difference between your hair and skin glowing and looking radiant and your hair and skin being dry ALL THE TIME, no matter WHAT you put on it.

sweetwhisper Guest

How can you get a filter?

carmenjones Guest

I've read on here that Home Depot sells good ones for around $20. I definitely plan on getting one, wherever I happen to end up after this summer program I'm doing. ^_^

sweetwhisper Guest

Is home depot like a DIY store, i'm in the UK, so i'll probably try and check out one.

creation is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, Home Depot is a home improvement store. Kinda of like Lowe's . I don't know if you have Lowe's down there but maybe you can check them out too.

The water at my home in St. Louis is excellent. The water where I go to school is hard as a rock.

All I know is...when I'm at home, all my (nappy approved ^_^ ) products work fabulously and my curls bounce off the walls and look beautiful. When I'm at school, I can't even put gel on my hair, it dries it out so much. I have to slather conditioner on and even that doesn't stop my hair from being dry.

I HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hard water! I can't wait to graduate and get away from this place! I know a lot of girls here who buy bottled water by the gallon and wash their hair with that (it's that serious around these parts). Soft water is the difference between your hair and skin glowing and looking radiant and your hair and skin being dry ALL THE TIME, no matter WHAT you put on it.
    [/b]

Thanks, for the reply Carmenjones!! You've sold me on the water filter. I'm going to get one this weekend!!

I just bought my Qhemet trial pack and none of it has worked on my hair. Except the hydrating balm. I kinda like that. And I've tried some other stuff with no luck so I'm going to try to do something about this water.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyhoo, I was wondering what the real deal is with the hard water issue. If any of you had hard water and then got soft water later or got some kind of filter did it make a dramatic difference???
    What did you notice about the hard water???

[/b]

i know what you are going through, i live here in Dover, Delaware and we have hard water, i recently purchased a filter from Home Depot a few months ago, I would wash my hair at home and it would be stiff and hard, now that i have the filter my hair is soft and isnt as dry as it used to be, once you buy a hard water filter you will notice the differece right away, your hair and skin will be very soft

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shower filters online

more filters

here are 2 informative websites that you can also check out
    Nappy 4 Life!

morena23 Guest

Funny this topic should come up - me and one of my friends were just talking about it. The water here in Indianapolis is very hard, It takes a little more TLC to get my hair as soft as it was when I lived in Arkansas. Here in Indy, to make a bubble bath, you have to use a boat load of liquid soap, in Arkansas, a couple capfuls would give you a tub load of suds.

I've also noticed a difference in my skin. A warm bath anywhere else leaves my skin feeling moist and clean. Here, no matter what soap I use, I have to rinse really well or I get all ashy.

double_nae Guest

i can definitely relate, especially when i used to live in england and now i live in vegas (yucca mountain toxic water) i live on base though, and i believe they have a water softner filtration unit...but when i use the dishwasher, there's little white spots on everything, which is a sign the water is hard. I think, if you wash your hair in the sink, you could use a simple water faucet purifier, but the site suggested in the previous posts look great. I think water can definitely affect hair, from personal experience of moving every three years to a different state/country. A terrible example is when i lived in South Carolina and my hair started thining and gradually coming out (i was only 10!) well, my mom figured it was because of the water and the reaction it had with the p.erms she was giving me, so we got a purification system. (if i would have known then what i know now i would have traded in the p.erm instead! lol) The water in Hawaii was the total opposite, i guess because the water was more natural and didnt have as much toxins and hard minerals in it.

sorry this was long. just thought i'd share some experiences with water.
    .:*D-NAE*:.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast