Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay its been awhile since I posted. Mainly because I straighten my hair via flat flaming hot tool of hair torture (I have never had a p.erm) more in the winter and since spring is here and its getting hot I try not to fight with my hair about keeping it straight. Well here is my story....when I first started to become napptural last summer/spring I was happy. I thought I would have my afro in no time. I even clipped off more than 2 inches of hair during summer 05. Before I became napptural I had hair down to my shoulder blades, but before the summer was out my hair was brushing my shoulders (maybe a little longer). I went out and brought all the "amazing" products that would help me in my long transition. I never could do the two strand twists and wear them out because my hair was too thin from all the flat ironing and pressing. I usually wore a twist out or braid out or just a ponytail with some gel and other stuff in it to make my hair slick back. I don't know if it was the hard water or a product or an essential oil but my hair broke off horribly. It would not have taken me by surprise if I had a perm but I had never had a perm and I could not believe the shedding that was going on (my hair sheds a lot naturally, but this was ridiculous). Finally I went to my sis's beautician in July/Aug 05 and she took a look at my hair. She told me it was damaged from going natuaral and that I had to either start doing my hair (meant combing and brushing and taking care of it). This shocked me because I thought I was taking care of my hair, but obviously with all the shedding going on I wasn't. By the end of the appointment she just ended up clipping a little of my ends off because she didn't want to cut my hair because it was so badly damaged. So I went back to straightening my hair and what not. So I started to straighten my hair but not as much as before. Then in Oct. 2005 I went home to visit my mom and went to her beautician. She cut off all of my damaged ends, I told her too just to get it over with. In the end I lost more in the back than in the front. The back was cut really short, it didn't even cover my neck. Thankfully my hair at the top could cover up the stuff in the back. The beautician also gave me a shampoo, mosturizer, and deep conditioner by Aphogee. I used that for the most part all through October and up til now. I went back to straightening my hair after seeing her, because I didn't know if going natuaral had caused the breakage and drying of my hair. I went back to my mom's beautician in December 2005 and she noticed that my hair was a lot fuller at the roots and it was doing much better. This time she gave me a roller set to give my hair a break from the flat flaming hot tool of hair torture and flaming hot tool of hair torture. And I really liked it too because it was the closest thing to a natural hairstyle I had ever had done professionaly. I straightened my hair from Dec 05 to about Feb 06. I then tried to do my own rollerset, which turned out nice but wouldn't stay for more than 1 day. I also waited until Feb 06 to do the roller set because the hair in the back had grown back enough so that I could roller set it. My problem with the roller set was that after I slept on it the curls didn't fall a little at a time but completely fell all at once. So I have been doing roller sets twice maybe three times a week and the other days just wearing a scarf and ponytail (which is terrible). My hair is gradually growing back, but I wish there was a way for it to grow faster. The hair in the back is just now reaching my neck but it has not reached its original length back in Aug 05. The roller sets are working for now, but how do I make them last longer? I tried sleeping in rollers but that is so uncomfortable, I'd rather just keep it straight and wrap it. My hair is healthier and there is a curly texture to it but I have still not reached my original napptural goal of my afro . I also wonder what I did wrong last summer so I won't repeat it this summer? It just dawned on me had I completely stayed napptural I would be coming up on my 1 year anniverseray.
    [color=red]Joshua 1:9 Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
    [img]http://web3.starpulse.com/Photos/Thumbs/PRZ-006543_T.JPG[/img]
    New Beginning: March 2006 [/color]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovelyleo, I'm a relatively new nappturality member and I can tell you what you did wrong. You say you want an afro, but all you started out wearing was straight hairstyles. 1. Either you are not comfortable with your naps or 2. you (like me) are not good at styling your natural hair. If it's #1 then you have to transition your mind first and try to find out why you feel the need to have your hair straightened. If 2 then you need to keep practicing. You got pretty good with roller sets after only 1 time of having someone else do them for you! I bet if you tried other styles on your nappy hair you would look great. You will never learn how to deal with your hair texture if you never dealwith your hair texture!
    I find it funny that the beautician told you you damaged your hair from going natural! That doesn't even sound logical. How can you damage your hair by not doing something that is damaging to your hair? Of course natural is the best state for your hair. Did she mention that the continuous straightening could have had an effect? Maybe she just wants you to keep going to her after you go back to a perm and that was her motivation for telling you that bald faced lie.
    I think you have to get out of the mentality that straight hair=better, and once you stop trying to make your hair do something it doesn't want to do, you'll be amazed by the growth! (Just don't get so hung up on length!)
    My fotki

"Come out of her, my people..that ye recieve not of her plagues" Revelation 18:4

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't you just stop hot combing your hair?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair is not breaking because you went natural. The lady that told you that is apparently smoking something. YOur hair is tramatized from all the heat your putting on it. The intensity of the heat to press and curl it is ridiculous and doing this on a regular basis will lead to damage, thin breaking hair. I would suggest leaving the heat alone and working with the natural texture instead of against it.
    http://public.fotki.com/sweetnikki6/

how deep does it go? so deep that some would rather by a nappy weave than expose their naps because there is no way that their hair could possibly be nicer than that weave.

I have been around since 05 baby!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

flaming hot tool of hair torture+nATURAL HAIR=DISASTER

Especially if you have tightly coiled ,spongy,cottony hair

If I blow dry, or curling iron-it's death to my hair shaft. The hair is so very fragile. And once that cuticle is damaged, the hairs start splitting. I havent put heat in since my early days of nap(end of 04) and I am STILL reaping the "rewards" of heat damage as those hair grow out .

Many have done a 2nd BC because of this mistake. Check out the heat archives under this forum topic. You arent alone-but it would be better if you started over. Good luck-and sisters stop being so MEAN!!! Enlighten, keep it positive and lift her up!
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you damaged your hair by hot combing it, not by going natural. that is where you went wrong. Please look at all the pinned threads on heat damage.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many have done a 2nd BC because of this mistake. Check out the heat archives under this forum topic. You arent alone-but it would be better if you started over. Good luck-and sisters stop being so MEAN!!! Enlighten, keep it positive and lift her up!
    [/b]
    not being mean....but if she has been a member for over a year...w/more than 250 posts under her belt...there really shouldn't be a need to ask these questions....
    i cannot even believe what i'm reading....the reasons are so obvious!

Okay its been awhile since I posted. Mainly because I straighten my hair via flat flaming hot tool of hair torture.....
    .....my hair was too thin from all the flat ironing and pressing. ......

.......but my hair broke off horribly.......

....... It would not have taken me by surprise if I had a perm but I had never had a perm and I could not believe the shedding that was going on......

... I thought I was taking care of my hair, but obviously with all the shedding going on I wasn't.

..... So I started to straighten my hair but not as much as before.......

.......i went back to straightening my hair after seeing her......

......I'd rather just keep it straight and wrap it.......

I also wonder what I did wrong last summer so I won't repeat it this summer?
    [/b]
    HELLO!!!!! :icon_headshake:
    looks like a sister has to transition her mind (and read the pinned topics!)

CHECK OUT MY FOTKI.......
    *pw is sanrio
    updated 8-21-07
    last cfc...august '05~~ BC....1/1/06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you nuts and is the lady who said that mess to yo nuts also?
    you said you went natural so why are you flat ironing your hair ?
    i cant go on with out losing my mine on you so i'll stop but i will say if you are natural then wear you hair and stop wearing out you hair by burning it up all the time

oshea

*my head hurts*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair broke because you were transitioning, you were putting a lot of tension on the place where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair by wearing ponytails, and you probably used too many products.

If you really want to cut to the chase and see a lot of fantastic growth, go ahead and do the big chop and start from there.
    Hair blog - http://beyondlocs.wordpress.com Updated January 16, 2011
    Natural since August 2001.
    Started locking July 6, 2007.

http://www.twitter.com/xayide

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair broke because you were transitioning, you were putting a lot of tension on the place where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair by wearing ponytails, and you probably used too many products.

If you really want to cut to the chase and see a lot of fantastic growth, go ahead and do the big chop and start from there.
    [/b]

She stated that she NEVER had a perm.
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast