Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to Nappurality but I have had natural hair all my life (I'm 22). But I have recently decided to let go of all the braid extensions, and flaming hot tool of hair torture (those were my creamy cracks) and I am religiously twisting my hair every two weeks. I use Ampro, or other protein styling gels, and I am entralled with the results and I am not swayed to covert. (However if you know of a gel, that does a banging job at twists, you can say so.)

But my real question is, how do I know when my hair has too much protein? I use a dab of the gel on every twist, and I wash my hair every two weeks, like I said.

Does anyone think that this gel is too much to religiously put on your hair?

And thirdly can anyone recommend any protein-free conditioners, so I really don't go overboard.

knharde is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your hair feels fine, then I wouldn't worry. You didnt mention any problems (dryness, frizzyness, etc.) so I dont think your hair is reacting badly to the proteins. Protein is good for the hair. I do have a question for you tho': how large are your twists and how do you take care of them so they can last 2 weeks? Just curious, cause i'm very style challenged over here.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your hair feels fine, then I wouldn't worry. You didnt mention any problems (dryness, frizzyness, etc.) so I dont think your hair is reacting badly to the proteins. Protein is good for the hair. I do have a question for you tho': how large are your twists and how do you take care of them so they can last 2 weeks? Just curious, cause i'm very style challenged over here.
    [/b]

Yea!!! Someone responded!

I do twist them on the small side. Like the width of a pencil. I don't like to see the scalp in between my twists. And the smaller you do it, the nicer it looks (in my opinion). I keep the twists in for about five or six day, then I wear a twist out for three or four day. When that gets a little old I'll pin it up for a 'mohawk' or ponytail. If the side or front is looking bad I'll flattwist it. I even do that style where you have that little hump in the front with the ponytail in the back. Working with the hair and switching up styles is how i get it to last and believe me I get compliments till the last day. I think my twist last so long because of the gel I use. That's why I'm not trying to give it up.

As in for maintenance, I have to admit, it is minimal. If a scarf gets on my head when I hit the pillow I am doing good. I just spray some Sta So Fro, or use some Elasta QP Mango Butter, everyday or every other day. And that is about it.

knharde is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! What about your scalp? I'm trying to do twists in my hair, but my scalp gets itchy & flakey after 3 days or so. I also don't use gel, but use Qhemet amla heavy cream cause my hair is really dry. So my twists come out soft, but my scalp drives me crazy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! What about your scalp? I'm trying to do twists in my hair, but my scalp gets itchy & flakey after 3 days or so. I also don't use gel, but use Qhemet amla heavy cream cause my hair is really dry. So my twists come out soft, but my scalp drives me crazy
    [/b]

I did have problems with dandruff one week I did my hair. I think it is because of my conditioner. I use Le Kair Shea Butter. And I know plenty of people love it, but I just threw mines away, after that cornflake bout. But just to be safe, I put some pure tea tree oil in my Sta So Fro. And I haven't had any problems. I just now decided to do this. So I twisted my hair on Monday, and it is Saturday and my scalp is clear.