Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive never did a scalp scrub cept for back in the day with some ors stuff next wash Ima try it!
    How often are you guys cleansing your scalps?
    My hair and scalp tends to like once a week

ms_rite is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this is challenge I can get with. I'm in without a doubt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in!!! I will try the scalp scrub the next time I wash (usually every Sat.).
    6-10-09, 4 years nappy!
    PINK FOREVER
    http://images.meez.com/user01/01/06/...0003775918.gif

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking and I have some suggestions. If anyone has anything to add please do so!

So I was thinking about keeping some kind of record of how often I washed my hair to see when a trend starts so I will know how often I need to wash my hair so there won't be any build up on my scalp.
    I'm just marking a calendar with a W everytime I washed

For those of you who workout remember that it is important for you to at least rinse your scalp after!
    you want to remove that salt that is on your scalp from sweating

For the most part I will be no pooing unless I used shea butter for twists or gel for a puff

When I need to shampoo I will use my Aveda rosemary mint and dilute it.
    I did this this past thursday. I used a dixie up (the kind you use when you brush your teeth) and put some shampoo in and then put some water. mixed it. and then put in some qtips and let them sit for a minute and cleaned my scalp with the qtips and then rinsed. This worked great because my hair was in twists.

Also if you notice bulid up in some places but not everywhere you can spot clean your scalp with that method I explained above or "put a dab of conditioner on your fingertips and scrub directly on the spot. then rinse thoroughly. If your still using shampoo, first coat the ends of your hair with conditioner, then spot wash with shampoo" Lorraine Massey Curly Girl p. 33

I reccomend reading through the book because she offers some good tips. I got the idea of exfoliating and spot cleaning from reading the book.

I think there was more I had but I can't remember right now...will be back!

Good luck ladies ^_^

ETA: Okay so I remembered that quick :lol:

I think most of us are used to washing our hair once a week but you need to make sure this is often enough! My scalp is extremely oily so I don't think that once is enough for me. Plus if you use products directly on your scalp or close to it once may not be enough for you either.

If you question an ingredient in a product research it by googling it.
    See if it water soluble -if its not you'll need shampoo to remove it
    see what kind of ingredient it is i.e. silicone
    and find out what it is meant to do

When washing your hair I HIGHLY reccomend washing in sections so you can clean your scalp properly
    also make sure your hair is sopping wet before you start to wash.You may want to rub your scalp as if your washing first to try to remove and loosen dirt and oils and then shampoo or no poo.
    Massage scalp using pads on fingertips in a circular motion - this stimualtes the blood in your scalp and can help to promote hair growth.

I personally wash my hair leaning over the tub because its easier for me and it aids in scalp stimulation because blood is going to your head

HTH
    "Don't you let those other boys fool you. Got to love that Afro hairdo." --Corrine Bailey Rae
    Perm free: 6 yrs. 12.13.04
    Transitoned for 1yr and 3 months BC date: 3.16.06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool.

I'm in. I do the bohemian one, too. My scalp is very hard to please and my hair is just getting long enough to put product on my hair ONLY. I just got the Curly Girl book myself. I'm gonna have to try the scalp scrub soon.

I second the kudos on baking soda, too. I've been mixing a little in with my Cetaphil every other day. My skin looks a lot smoother in just a week of doing this.

yam

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I keep posting but I'm so excited to share all the info I've been compling with ya'll :wub:

Anywho I am skiming through No Lye By Tulani Kinard.
    pgs.35-37 are good reference for Normal, Dry, and Oily scalp

I can't type out everything but this is some good basic info:
    p.35 & 36

Symptoms of Dry hair:

* your hair is hard and brittle to the touch

* you have tiny flakes of dry skin from your scalp

*Whenever you comb your hair it sheds and/or you have hair breakage

Symptoms of Oily Hair:

* Hair strands feel slick or greasy all the time

* Development of heavy flaking that will fall or can be scratched from scalp

* Pimples on the forehead close to the hairline

Normal Hair:

* No flaking from the scalp

* No excessive oiliness

* No excessive dryness

If you have dandruff your scalp can be either dry or oily
    "Don't you let those other boys fool you. Got to love that Afro hairdo." --Corrine Bailey Rae

deedabug is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i have questions...

i want to get in but i need to ask somethings to make sure...

is anyone going to be doing a dry scalp cleaning..meaning without saturating the head with water?? i looked for the ORS kit in sally's yesterday and didn't see it....or what can i use from my cabinet and what's a good method??

I only wash every 2 weeks..when i do wash i deep condition and rinse it out with ACV...but...my scalp is a scaley mess around the perimeter...i would say i have combination skin....cuz somedays it can be dry as the sahara and other days sorta bubbly texture (i dont knw what kinda sense that mkes lol) and oily...i want to keep washing every 2 weeks...my hair gets weak with water applied more often than that....but this scalp is horror movie

i havent been applying anything to my scalp such as oils or grease either...

anyone have any answers???

knharde is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have similar concerns as deedabug. I want to wash my hair every 2 weeks (& wear twists in between) but my scalp is horribly flaky/dry (or it could be dandruff...I really dont know the difference 'cept that dandruff is caused by fungus). I dont put anything on my scalp either; and my face is really oily/acne prone. I need help/advice too

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is anyone going to be doing a dry scalp cleaning..meaning without saturating the head with water?? i looked for the ORS kit in sally's yesterday and didn't see it....or what can i use from my cabinet and what's a good method??

I only wash every 2 weeks..when i do wash i deep condition and rinse it out with ACV...but...my scalp is a scaley mess around the perimeter...i would say i have combination skin....cuz somedays it can be dry as the sahara and other days sorta bubbly texture (i dont knw what kinda sense that mkes lol) and oily...i want to keep washing every 2 weeks...my hair gets weak with water applied more often than that....but this scalp is horror movie

i havent been applying anything to my scalp such as oils or grease either...

anyone have any answers???
    [/b]
    As far the exfoilating the recipe above is just fine. However you would have to get your scalp/ hair wet in order to wash it out all the way. I saw the ORS one your talking about in a couple asian owned beauty stores so you could look there if you really wanted to try that out.

I would suggest just exfoliating when you wash if it is a problem for you to apply water to your hair too often

MsNaNa is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...I think I am definetely in. I was actually thinking about this yesterday also when I thought about washing my hair on Monday. Thanks for the motivation.
    Good, Better, Best
    Never ever Rest!
    Until Your Good is Better,
    And Your Better is Best!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast