Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you that haven't BC'd yet, how are you maintaining your hair to prevent breakage and damage? And at what point do you plan to actually cut it all off? I haven't relaxed my hair in about four/five months, and I'm trying to go as far as I can before I do the big cut..I want a foundation first before I cut everything off :blush:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i started my transition, i went to a stylist and let him cut off my split ends and even me out so i'd have a good starting point for the transition.

i'm co-washing and letting my hair air dry - usually in a pony tail or clip, sometimes down (but my hair holds some waves when it air dries even though it is relaxed).

i detangle every day with a wide-toothed comb. while my hair is wet with the conditioner, i comb starting at the ends and moving up to the roots. if i don't detangle every day, it gets harder to do the longer i wait. if i do it every day, it's easy and less traumatizing, lol.

of course, i've only been transitioning for about three months, but this is working with no problems thus far.

i'm planning to cut after a year of transition, but i can't say how long i'll actually last.

good luck n happy growing ^_^
    Perfectly Unrefined (⁎˃ᆺ˂)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm keeping it simple basically.
    Protective Styles, Co Washes, Moisturizing often etc.. has been working well for me thus far.
    I have no plans on doing the BC though.
    100% Natural since 7-20-07
    Don't fall for the so called 'natural hair guru' crap, be your own 'guru'

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the responses so far, but what is "Co washing"? and what types of conditioners/shampoos should I use to wash my hair?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the responses so far, but what is "Co washing"? and what types of conditioners/shampoos should I use to wash my hair?
    [/b]
    For those of you that haven't BC'd yet, how are you maintaining your hair to prevent breakage and damage? And at what point do you plan to actually cut it all off? I haven't relaxed my hair in about four/five months, and I'm trying to go as far as I can before I do the big cut..I want a foundation first before I cut everything off[/b]
    new nap here too but also suffer from alopecia - Hi!

have never seriously tried conditioner washing - i think i tried it a couple times but i don't think my hair liked it too much.

but as far as maintaining my hair.....i've found that twists have become my very best friends (learned it here!). Flat ones, skinny ones, fat ones - luv 'em all! i can play/touch my new growth without fear of tangles and knots and truthfully, twists just look so darned good and there's so much you can do with them. i also think they've got to be one of the best protective styles ever.

i don't plan on bc'ing anytime soon - i have an "apple head" w/a bald spot lol. there's not that much difference between my new growth and permed ends to have to hurry things up. Lots of TLC and patience i believe makes any hair thrive.

have a few shampoo/conditioners combos that agree with the new growth and texturized hair. Elasta QP's shampoo for relaxed hair and their intensive condition is working great so far as does the optimum care shampoo and conditioner. i guess the key is to try different things and see what works really well for you (learned that here too).

for oils, i've tried the jojoba, kemi, sweet almont, shea and avocado - mixed those with some essential oils if i want a little sheen - they smell nice and are good for your hair too (ylang-ylang smells heavenly).

Went to Sally's Beauty Supply and bought a shower comb and very large tooth comb as well as a denman
    D5 brush to help with the detangling - shower comb and the denman are my heros!

i just shampooed and conditioned with a sample of nexxus mosturizing shampoo and humectress conditioner and i can't believe the slip i had with their conditioner. My hair loves it!

there's free samples still being offered: Walmart.com so you can try before you buy.

Everyday i either mist water over my twists to freshen them or do a couple sprays of S-curl, the one in the blue and white bottle these gals keep bragging about .

i think the best advice would be to keep it simple (yea....learned this too and what SweetAmbrosia just said)- don't over style or over manipulate your hair, remember to keep it moisturized and just immerse yourself with everything this wonderful website (and it's members) has to offer.

Good Luck on your journey awuraabenaa and sorry i rambled for so long..........