Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was reading the book "Development as Freedom" by Amartya Sen, and came across this passage, which I thought was interesting.
    His sources were US Census Bureau and World Health Organization Statistics from 1993 and 1994. (The book is a few years old).
    Was this true? Is it still true? Does this strike anyone as shocking? Especially given that, in contrast, *White* Americans have much higher life expectancy than all the studied groups?

INCOME AND MORTALITY
    Even in terms of the connection between mortality and income, it is remarkable that the extent of deprivation of particular groups in very rich countries can be comparable to that in the so-called third world. For example, in the US, African Americans as a group have no higher - indeed have a lower - chance of reaching advanced ages than do people born in the immensely poorer economies of China or the Indian state of Kerala (or in Sri Lanka, Jamaica, or Costa Rica).

This is shown in figures 1.1 and 1.2. [Graphs omitted. They showed male and female life expectancy - with "US white" floating *high* above all the other lines, "US black" at the bottom, and "China" and "Kerala" in between.] Even though the per capita income of African Americans in the US is considerably lower than that of the white population, African Americans are very many times richer in income terms than the people of China or Kerala (even after correcting for cost-of-living differences). In this context, the comparison of the survival prospects of African Americans vis-a-vis those of the very much poorer Chinese or Indians in Kerala, is of particular interest. African Americans tend to do better in terms of survival at low age groups (especially in terms of infant mortality) vis-a-vis the Chinese or the Indians, but the picture changes over the years.

In fact, it turns out that men in China and in Kerala decisively outlive African American men in terms of surviving to older age groups. Even African American women end up having a survival pattern for the higher ages similar to that of the much poorer Chinese, and decidedly lower survival rates than the even poorer Indians in Kerala. So it is not only the case that American blacks suffer from relative deprivation in terms of income per head vis-a-vis American whites, they are also absolutely more deprived than the low-income Indians in Kerala (for both men and women), and the Chinese (in the case of men), in terms of living to ripe old ages. The causal influences on these contrasts (that is, between living standards judged by income per head and those judged by ability to survive to higher ages) include social arrangments and community relations such as medical coverage, public health care, school education, law and order, prevalence of violence and so on.

It is also worth noting that African Americans in the US as a whole include a great many internal diversities. Indeed if we look at the black male population in particular US cities, (such as New York City, San Francisco, St. Louis or Washington DC) we find that they are overtaken in terms of survival by people from China or Kerala at much earlier ages... Bangladeshi men [also] have a better chance of living to ages beyond forty years than African American men from Harlem... New York. All this is in spite of the fact that African Americans in the US are very many times richer than the people of comparison groups in the third world. [/b]
    What do you think?

Seven is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we don’t eat right; we don’t exercise like we should; we don’t care for ourselves emotionally; we don’t believe in preventive medicine and don’t have access to it in high numbers.

I think it sucks.

eta: The groups mentioned don’t eat the processed foods that are so predominant in America, especially if you’re poor or don't know any better or rushing the kids to this event or working, etc. And the traditional AA diet is ripe with fatty foods. They walk everywhere. We delight in thick ‘purty legs. etc..etc.

Oh and don’t forget random gun violence.

damn.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we don’t eat right; we don’t exercise like we should; we don’t care for ourselves emotionally; we don’t believe in preventive medicine and don’t have access to it in high numbers.

I think it sucks.

eta: The groups mentioned don’t eat the processed foods that are so predominant in America, especially if you’re poor or don't know any better or rushing the kids to this event or working, etc. And the traditional AA diet is ripe with fatty foods. They walk everywhere. We delight in thick ‘purty legs. etc..etc.

damn.
    [/b]
    i'd have to add to that we don't place a high value on education which means that we don't have as much access to high paying jobs with good health benefits.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say I'm always amazed at how little knowledge black folks have on current health issues. I run and a whole lot of people in my neighborhood still think that running or other aerobic types of exercise are a strain to the heart instead of being beneficial for the heart.

We have a lot of work to do.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it sucks.

damn.
    [/b]
    ITA

Right along with the problem of obesity in America in general, we have the highest number as a group.
    http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/Obes...ority_Pop.shtml

I may sound corny, but I get excited when I see "us" running, walking, or hiking when I am out getting my workout; or at farmers markets, health foods stores, etc. We have a lot of work to do, but I do see some slight progress; especially since the farmers markets are in some of the less affluent areas now.

On the other hand, I still see too many obese children with McDonnalds bags in their hands, eating Top Ramen, Koo-Aid, processed foods, etc. I have seen and read many links between bad food and health issues not just related to weight, diabetes, high blood pressure, but also mental health: behavior problems in school and at home, ADD, depression, etc.
    http://public.fotki.com/carlasher/

Password: hair
    18"-23" of hair

Weight loss
    10/2005 size 14
    05/2006 size 8
    07/2006 size 6?

Cybrie is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA. Food plays such a big part in the well being of a person. I saw that documentary "Super Size It" when the creator ate only McDonald's food for thirty days straight and I was so disgusted with the results. He nearly had kidney failure in the end! I haven't been able to look at those arches since.
    Also my step-dad is from Mississippi and no matter how much my mother tries to convert his eating habits, he is so set in his ways. He eats pork bacon and eggs on a regular basis, puts loads of sugar in his coffee and he doesn't excercise at all. The man is diabetic and in bad shape. I wish he would take care of himself better, but it made me realize that a lot of blacks aren't any better than him.
    ~.*.~*Falling more and more in love with who I am!~.*.~*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it sucks.

damn.
    [/b]
    I've looked at all the replies, and I don't think there isn't much more to add on this. I live overseas, and I see how people take care of their health. Here it's "good for [your] health" is heard a lot.

They pay attention to what they eat, they put a premium on physical activity and mentally they're put a premium on harmony. These are generalizations, but, in general, it's true. The Japanese do it best of all, but I would say that NE Asia is pretty darn healthy in terms of foods, exercise, but also attitude.

In contrast, we eat horribly! Processed foods, sugary foods, not enough fruits and veggies, not enough fish, too much meat and poultry (and how we prepare it fried instead of baked, broiled or steamed). And, the worst is no physical activity!

What I've found is that I'm becoming guilty of that myself. I eat pretty well, but I'm making excuses for staying active. So also, it's individual choice, and, as a group, we're making bad choices.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its very hard to eat decently in this country. I grew up on a farm with parents who were aware of the benefits of healthy foods and exercise. I have access to farmer's markets and whatnot, but I don't think they're as accesible in low-income neighborhoods. I've been to the grocery stores in those areas and the produce is appalling.

I'm also on a campaign against high-fructose corn syrup. There's some evidence that its contributing to this obesity/diabetes epidemic. They put that crap in everything. Even in stuff thats normally healthy like tomato sauce! Also, I've discovered that most of the olive oil sold in this country isn't even olive oil. That's the only oil I use and I can only buy the real stuff at the health food store.

We also have to factor in that healthy food often costs more. Its bizarre, but it seems that the less processed things are the more expensive they are. I try to serve fish three times a week, and salmon at least once a week. Well, the farm raised salmon is full of chemicals, but the wild-caught cost twice as much. I buy frozen, which is still pretty good, but again, you have to really work to find these things out.

Its an exhausting enterprise, and I can only keep up because I have internet access and I'm motivated to keep my family healthy. People who don't have the same amount of time or resources will be less motivated.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^
    I hear what you are saying, but sometimes I think that we make a lot of excuses for why we eat what we eat. I know that in Detroit as well as East Lansing (the two cities that I have lived in) there are so many fruit markets, and outdoor markets to go to. I just saw a show where this one Black woman bought fruit from an outdoor vendor on the streets of New York City. Not to mention all the FOI brothers selling fruit and Final Calls in the intersections of the hood..lol....

Plus canned and frozen fruits and veggies are cheap and healthy....and you can always grow your own....if folks wanted to eat better they could...it really is more about deciding that is important to you....

It takes a little more effort to go to the extremes that Rozlips is talking about, but you don't have to go there right away....a nutritionist came to my son's school (they actually had a evening meeting for the parents so we could hear him speak....the 'burbs....I tell you!!) and he talked about how he makes a couple of changes a year to improve his eating....and he gradually introduces it to his kids....no complete and sudden overhaul, just small changes could really improve our quality of life.....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not just a matter of availability, though. When I go home to south Georgia, I have to buy my own fruits because any fruit in the house is only an ingredient in some decadent pudding, cobbler, or pie.

For example, I bought some bananas to eat with breakfast. One of my cousins saw them on the counter and asked, "Who's eating the monkey food?"

There's a concept of what "real" food is and, for some, if it's not slathered in butter, fried, or have a ham hock in it, it's not "real" food. It makes me angry because I hate knowing this food is slowly killing those I love and there's little I can do about it.
    Last R.elaxer: Dec. 2003 Big Chop: March 4, 2005

"I know I'm not ordinary... Alright! I'm EXTRAORDINARY! What of it?" -Laurence of Arabia

When you discover what happens when your thoughts, feelings, and actions align, you have discovered the secret.

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. --Harriet Tubman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast