Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I've been toying with the idea of getting cornrows, since I've never had that style before. But I I'm all about not stressing my hair - I wear loose twists, loose buns, or wash n gos. How much stress do cornrows put on the hair and how long can you wear them? I would be using my own hair. I would like to learn to do them myself, but I might have someone else do them the first time.
    My Fotki site
    pw: brownkinks
    The Rebel: His very way of being is rebellious - not because he is fighting against anybody or anything, but because he has discovered his own true nature and is determined to live in accordance with it. The eagle is his spirit animal, a messenger between earth and sky. The Rebel challenges us to be courageous enough to take responsibility for who we are and to live our truth.
    -Osho Zen Tarot

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just took out my cornrows a few days ago, and I had hair breakage on my right temple. I must say however that my cornrows were put in too tight. Way too tight. that's way i had breakage. if they are not put in too tight, they should be okay. but remember that everyone's hair is different and reacts differently depending on type of hair used, tightness of braids, time braids are left in, and the general healthiness and thickness of the hair. I had my cornrows in for only a week and a half, but I have heard and read that they can last anymore from two to four weeks depending on size and maintenance. Althought I have worn braids in the past, I feel that the best thing is to hair nothing pulling on your hair. but i know that sometimes we have to do what we have to do. hope this helps! good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Thurmier! I would like to learn how to cornrow my own hair to avoid someone else putting them in too tight. But I'm all thumbs when it comes to braiding styles. All I can do are two-strand twists - I can't even do flat twists :angry: ! I hear what you're saying about the best thing being no tension on the hair at all. I'm just looking to do something other than the usual wash n go, twists, and pony puffs.
    My Fotki site
    The Rebel: His very way of being is rebellious - not because he is fighting against anybody or anything, but because he has discovered his own true nature and is determined to live in accordance with it. The eagle is his spirit animal, a messenger between earth and sky. The Rebel challenges us to be courageous enough to take responsibility for who we are and to live our truth.
    -Osho Zen Tarot

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key to any type of braids -- cornrows or individuals is that they should NOT HURT .. if you are in pain while you are getting it braided it is TOO TIGHT .. if you scalp is sore to the touch it is too tight .. Some braiders will try to tell you they must braid it tight or the hair will slip out .. If they say that .. get up and leave if they can't braid any looser ..

It may be uncomfortable .. but it shouldn't be painful .. pain will definetly lead to breakage ..

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks KiwiGirl, that's good advice. I would like to learn to do them myself, since I would know exactly how much tension I was applying. Maybe I should get a book on cornrowing. Know any good ones?
    My Fotki site
    -Osho Zen Tarot

sweet is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love cornrows and have had them done a lot over the years with and without added hair in the past.
    Now I do them myself, I forced myself to learn as hairdressers put too much stress on my hair even when I tell them to loosen their grip.

The ones I do now I do with a firm grip, but they are never tight. I taught myself by learning to flat twist first, then progressed from there. Since u can twist, Im sure u can flat twist, just make sure you start with a clean (precise) parting so it comes out nice and just twist but keep it close 2 the scalp as u go along, picking up aditional bits of hair as you go along down your parting. the key is to keep it against your scalp as u twist so it doesnt loosen.

once u can do flat twists, cornrows wont seem to hard.

I do my cornrows a bit chunky now so there is practically no pulling on my edges, and I dont try to force the small hairs at the front into the rows either.

<div align="center">My page</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks sweet, it does make sense to start with flat twists. I have to make a commitment to do them on a day after I rinse my hair and have a little time. I just tend to get frustrated if I try something and can&#39;t do it perfectly from the get go. But I need to start practicing or I&#39;ll never learn. I have to remind myself that my first set of two-strands were awful. If at first you don&#39;t succeed...I guess. I would like to make chunky cornrows as well. It seems they would put less tension on the hair
    My Fotki site
    -Osho Zen Tarot

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i had relaxed hair i loved cornrows(where i live its called weaving) anyways depending on the person who did it rarely ever caused breakage. if it was too tight it did break and it took months for it to grow back so i would tell the hairdressers not to pull the strands at the sides with it was a struggle to convince them. i can cornrow myself though, but now that my hair is natural all my attempts at cornrows with extensions have left me with breakage so i just stopped. i havent had cornrows done with extensions though cos i&#39;m just scared of losing what has taken months to grow back. i would love to have cornrows but it seems now that my hair is natural its more fragile than before, its not just the edges now its the ends they keep tangling .

should i only try doing them when the hair is wet or damp

please i need advice

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cornrow my own hair and I do them very tight sometimes depending on how long I want to keep them in (they loosen up after a day or two). But I never get breakage from the cornrows. I braid along my hair line and not away from it so most of the time when I do a style it is never straight back, it&#39;s always going to the side or away from a part. I have grown back edges I lost from persistent ponytail pulling as a permie by keeping it braided this way and I grew back my daughter&#39;s edges damaged from eczema this way so I know it works. And yeah not pulling so tightly would no doubt help.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cornrows are easy to do. I think. If you can do regular braids then you can do cornrows, and flat twists for that matter. When braiding you should remember that the more hair that you pick up as you go the looser the braid. the less hair the "firmer" (not tighter unless you are pulling) the braid. But then thats how i braid. And make sure the edges are braided gently. I had a bad expreience when i wore braids back to back, and my temples are alot thinner then they used to be but they are growing back now. Practice makes perfect!
    Oh and one more thing there is a cretain way to position your hands when braiding. i was teaching someone how and she used her whole hand. I just use the thumb index and middle fingers only. If you keep at it you will get the hang of it.
    [url="http://naturalhairgrowthjourney.blogspot.com/"]My Blog[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast