mama-mia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone. After my current employment contract ends in January I plan (if God wills it) to go to Senegal for about 5 months to do some religious studying. Any natives or sisters who have travelled there willing to share some helpful hints on things I should bring from home and tips on how to stay healthy while I'm there? (I usually get sick when I travel :rolleyes: ). I have never been to Africa so I am quite excited.

Peace :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you usually get sick when you travel, you definitely need to visit www.cdc.gov. Look for the travelers health link and that should lead you to the information on recommended vaccinations. Start your vaccinations at least 6 weeks before you travel because some vaccinations you might need to take a series.
    "In heaven all the interesting people are missing" Nietzsche

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SENEGAL!!! Oh Sis you are going to have a beautyfull time!

There's so much to see. If you're going to Dakar, you need to visit Goree Island... it costs about $5USD and the experience is... well you'll see for yourself. While you're there, go to the top of the island and a man and his wife live there... they are very warm and loving and are walking historians of the island and plenty of other things.....

I suggest you keep your heart open... there are plenty of ginuine GOOD brothers and sisters there who will be willing to help you on your sojourn.

a few tips:

-when you leave the airport @ dakar, DO NOT take the cabs right out in front- they're extremely expensive and you will more than likely get hustled if you don't have an experienced person with you who knows french/wolof.

-learn WOLOF!!!

-Senegal is a Muslim country so don't walk around wearing short-shorts and all that jazz. It will make you look like a tourist.

-mosquito repellant: the BEST type you could use is a shea butter/insect repellant mix. look around for it in the states (or send me a pm and I could send some)... it should most definitely be available there. Check out this store in Dakar called La Maison Du Karite... they make it and other types of shea butter formula.

-don't eat as an american. You're now traveling OUTSIDE of the states, so experience the CULTURE of Senegal. You're going to be offered to eat with spoons but mainly families eat with their hands out of one bowl. Experience that! It will bring you closer to reality... be fearless and open to new experiences/customs/ideas!

-if you can avoid traveling as a tourist, please try to do so. Use the public transportation system that the People use- it's cheaper.

-TAKE YOUR MALARIA PILLS REGULARLY. I know there's a 'once a week' pill. I suggest you check that one out because it was an absolute hassle for me to have to take a pill everyday (I'm not a pill popper anyway and quickly learned my lesson). Eat properly- lay off the sodas because that sun will get to you. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND STAY HYDRATED!!! The local water will NOT hurt you- don't believe the hype. Really, all you need to stay on top of are the malaria pills.. and if you have a history of having a weak stomach, take the pink medicine (I didn't but I don't know your situation)... also ASK THE PEOPLE how they stay healthy and what medicines/natural herbs they use!!

lol.. there is sooooooooo much more I can add to this, but I hope this helps for starters!!

peace & blessings :wub:
    a daughter, lover, teacher, poet
    a human being Divine &
    learning this living I'm loving

nappi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought french was the official language of senegal.....is wolof some kind of dialect or completely different from french....is it easy 2 pick up if one is already fluent in french

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SENEGAL!!! Oh Sis you are going to have a beautyfull time!

There's so much to see. If you're going to Dakar, you need to visit Goree Island... it costs about $5USD and the experience is... well you'll see for yourself. While you're there, go to the top of the island and a man and his wife live there... they are very warm and loving and are walking historians of the island and plenty of other things.....

I suggest you keep your heart open... there are plenty of ginuine GOOD brothers and sisters there who will be willing to help you on your sojourn.

a few tips:

-when you leave the airport @ dakar, DO NOT take the cabs right out in front- they're extremely expensive and you will more than likely get hustled if you don't have an experienced person with you who knows french/wolof.

-learn WOLOF!!!

-Senegal is a Muslim country so don't walk around wearing short-shorts and all that jazz. It will make you look like a tourist.

-mosquito repellant: the BEST type you could use is a shea butter/insect repellant mix. look around for it in the states (or send me a pm and I could send some)... it should most definitely be available there. Check out this store in Dakar called La Maison Du Karite... they make it and other types of shea butter formula.

-don't eat as an american. You're now traveling OUTSIDE of the states, so experience the CULTURE of Senegal. You're going to be offered to eat with spoons but mainly families eat with their hands out of one bowl. Experience that! It will bring you closer to reality... be fearless and open to new experiences/customs/ideas!

-if you can avoid traveling as a tourist, please try to do so. Use the public transportation system that the People use- it's cheaper.

-TAKE YOUR MALARIA PILLS REGULARLY. I know there's a 'once a week' pill. I suggest you check that one out because it was an absolute hassle for me to have to take a pill everyday (I'm not a pill popper anyway and quickly learned my lesson). Eat properly- lay off the sodas because that sun will get to you. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND STAY HYDRATED!!! The local water will NOT hurt you- don't believe the hype. Really, all you need to stay on top of are the malaria pills.. and if you have a history of having a weak stomach, take the pink medicine (I didn't but I don't know your situation)... also ASK THE PEOPLE how they stay healthy and what medicines/natural herbs they use!!

lol.. there is sooooooooo much more I can add to this, but I hope this helps for starters!!

peace & blessings :wub:
    [/b]
    thank you sooooo much for the helpful information. i'm muslim so i will dressed right at least ^_^ . i am so excited!!! i only know about 3 words in wolof but i can understand french a bit. wow! you have been most helpful! are you senegalese/gambian? or did you just spend alot time there! okay :wub:

fiesole is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are visiting Senegal and likely Mali in December. Also looking forward to my first trip to West Africa.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are visiting Senegal and likely Mali in December. Also looking forward to my first trip to West Africa.
    [/b]
    Cool! I want to go to Mali too. My passport is burning a hole in my pocket !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salaam!

I have family from Senegal/Gambia area and a lot of people I keep close to me happen to have connektions with Sene/Gam! French is of course really helpful but the majority of the people you will run into speak Wolof... it's always good to learn the language of the people, and not just focus on the language of colonialism.

You're gonna have suchhhhhhhh a greattttt time. Do you know where you'll be staying and is this just something you're doing independently?? I absolutely LOVED hearing the adhan every mornin at 5am... hearing it in Senegal/Gambia has been the most beautiful sounds to flow through my ears...

tell me more, Sis..lol i wanna kno!!!!!!!!!

a daughter, lover, teacher, poet
    a human being Divine &
    learning this living I'm loving

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Dakar and would have offer to be your guide but if everything work out for me i will not be in Senegal in January.

I believe the best advice has been giving to you already : don't act as a tourist. For tourist means you have money and there always people ready to sell you some junk. When people try to sell you things in the street just say no and keep walking as there are few instances when they are actually thieves working in band.

Somebody say don't take the taxi in front of the airport i will advice you to do so especially if you arrive at night. Those taxi are regular there and even if you get hussle he will take you were you want to go. IMVHO it will be unwise to take just an unknown taxi specially if you don't know you way. It will not save you from being hussle anyway. Just know that it should not cost you more than 15$ to go to town from the airport, $10 is the norm when you arrive at night.

Senegal is a very nice country, people are very friendly and helpful. But sometimes the help is not free. For instance if you go to Goree and somebody approach you to be your guide, know that you will need to pay him something at the end of the tour. They will most of the time tell you to give what you want or sometimes they will even tell you it won't cost you a thing but it is better to negociate the amount before you start.

Yes learn wolof and it much easier if you stay in a senegalese family and it will make it easier for you to blend in.

If you want any specific info let me know i will see if can get it for you or direct you to the correct source.

[/b]
    you will be suprised to see what some young ladies wear nowadays in Dakar .
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/ayaba/"]hair journey[/url] PW : juin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought I'd post the link to this thread here since I just got back from Senegal.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/in...howtopic=80004
    Vouloir c'est pouvoir
    http://public.fotki.com/drsybil/
    hair album pw=crepue

NP member since 2002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast